Profile for Genevadiva > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed., 28 Aug. 2015
Simple message and delivered in a rather American way but very readable.

The Italian Girl
The Italian Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best., 19 May 2015
This review is from: The Italian Girl (Kindle Edition)
I've read and enjoyed several of Lucinda Riley's books now and this is the one I've enjoyed the least. The problem is that I work in Opera and this story was wholly incredible. I'm afraid that it was very far fetched and the research seemed very superficial mistaking the opera world for Hollywood or something. I understand this was written and left a while ago when the research was limited to the British Library (according to the acknowledgements) but, talk to any opera singer, and you would find this story quite laughable. Most people in the UK would be hard put to name even the best known opera singer in the world unless they were really into it. Some of the musical information was just plain wrong. Anyone who knows next to nothing about opera might enjoy the story but I'm afraid this one didn't do it for me.
On a general level, Ms Riley's later books are much better.

The Midnight Rose
The Midnight Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars I really liked this one as the Indian characters were easy to ..., 22 April 2015
This review is from: The Midnight Rose (Kindle Edition)
Despite the format always being the same throughout all of Ms Riley's books, I just can't put them down. I really liked this one as the Indian characters were easy to love. It did feel a little lifted from Downton Abbey here and there (or maybe the reverse) and I do find the smattering of French a bit contrived, especially when it's wrong, but that's to nit pick something which I enjoyed immensely. On to the next.

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 4)
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 4 April 2014
Love this series. Typical Archer, nothing different, just a very good yarn that keeps you reading and wanting the next installment.

Minding Frankie
Minding Frankie

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Binchy, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Minding Frankie (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't realised before I started it that this pretty much followed on from Heart and Soul which I had just finished. Very comforting reading. Classic Binchy.

Heart and Soul
Heart and Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Maeve never fails!, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Heart and Soul (Kindle Edition)
When I'm in the mood for this type of book, MB never fails me. I love the Irish warmth and identity of Binchy's writing.

TEMPUR® Seat Wedge
TEMPUR® Seat Wedge

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: TEMPUR® Seat Wedge
Does exactly what I wanted it to do. Very comfortable but firm enough with the right proportions for my work seat.

The Last Song
The Last Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put Nick Sparks down tho they are all pretty much the same thing in a different package, 7 April 2013
This review is from: The Last Song (Kindle Edition)
When I'm in the mood to read a Nick Sparks novel I can't get enough but they are all pretty similar and he has a few annoyingly repetitive phrases he uses eg. 'off to the side' and 'sick to the stomach.'

The World of Downton Abbey
The World of Downton Abbey
by Jessica Fellowes

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice photos, 7 April 2013
This is a bit out of date now as it only covers the first two series but nice all the same.

Grammar for English Language Teachers
Grammar for English Language Teachers
by Martin Parrott

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but badly cut, 5 Mar. 2012
Book was recommended and is good. Delivery was prompt but the pages of the book are badly cut. As there are some references printed on the outer edges of the pages it is very disappointing that some are difficult to read because some of the printing is cut off. Considered returning the item but needed it too urgently.

Page: 1 | 2