Profile for Magnus Hølvold > Reviews

Content by Magnus Hølvold

Magnus Hølvold "Magnulus" (Edinburgh, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Doublju_uk Mens Toe Crew Sock 3 Color Package (F, KMSC006_SET1)
Doublju_uk Mens Toe Crew Sock 3 Color Package (F, KMSC006_SET1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very, very thin fabric, which isn't necessarily a ..., 1 Jun. 2015
Very, very thin fabric, which isn't necessarily a problem. Just something to be aware of.
They are also slightly on the big size on my size 9 feet. The smaller toes don't quite fill their pockets.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay quality, a bit big, beware of nipple-slip!, 1 Jun. 2015
A very loose fit for me at Medium. Myself: 6 foot, 41" chest, size 30 trousers. The shirt is quite long in limbs and torso so a Small would be more than big enough and would probably provide a better fit for me. This makes me look skinny rather than emphasise what tone I have.

The weird thing that I didn't expect was for the zipper to open all the way down without any fabric behind it. It's not a big thing, but it IS weird. A nipple-slip might be exactly what you're looking to achieve, and if it is, then you're in luck! Also, the way the zipper lies feels a bit strange, though it's within the realm of possibility that I would get used to that part of it.

The colour is a bit washed out compared to the photos, but it's fine.
The hood is a decent size and zips all the way up, if that's your thing.

MERISH Poloshirt Dress Shirt 7 colors Slim Fit T-Shirt 09 Bordeaux M
MERISH Poloshirt Dress Shirt 7 colors Slim Fit T-Shirt 09 Bordeaux M
Offered by Merish-Store

3.0 out of 5 stars It's still perfectly fine, but it doesn't "show me off" the way ..., 1 Jun. 2015
based on the "product fit" feature, I bought this as a medium. My stats: 6 foot, 41" chest, size 30 trousers.

The fit is looser than expected. Plenty of room in chest and waist. At my current size, I find that I tend to buy M for a decent fit on slim-fit tops. S is usually that one step too small. This, however, is very roomy (for a slim fit). It's still perfectly fine, but it doesn't "show me off" the way I had hoped. I don't want full-on skin-tight, but this isn't slim enough for me.

The arms are nicely snug, though. I don't like t-shirts with massive arm holes that flop around. These are just right.

The quality of the collar is not great. it just looks kinda cheap and thin both in fabric and in the way it's put together. Not the collar of a £16 shirt.

Also, the colour of the shirt is not nearly as punchy as in the photo. It's a washed-out light maroon. This seems to be typical, as my Doublju long sleeve tee has the exact same problem. Steer cleer of deep red shirts around here, basically!

I will ask for a different size and colour. Not good enough.

Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard - Black, UK Layout
Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard - Black, UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars and it's so far a better fit for what I need, 30 May 2015
I had the Logitech Ultra Thin for my iPad 3, and it stopped working. With the refund, I got this. It's cheaper, and it's so far a better fit for what I need! Instead of being a sort of screen-protector, it's a stylish folder that opens to allow any tablet. The keys are very comfortable and nicely spaced and it pairs quickly from the off state. It fits well on my lap and
(Just so you know, you have to press enter after the code when you first pair it. I didn't know that, and was Googling forever before I realised.)

Sterling LPL443 40mm Double Locking Laminated Padlock with All Padlocks Keyed Alike (Set of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it say on the tin!, 30 May 2015
Three locks that open and lock easily (key not required to lock it) with a single key. You get six keys with this in total, so plenty of spares!

"Stripy Green Toe Socks by Toe Toe"
"Stripy Green Toe Socks by Toe Toe"
Offered by KJ Beckett

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a size 9 and these fit perfectly for me ..., 30 May 2015
I'm a size 9 and these fit perfectly for me! Also, there's a heal on these, and the toes are well-sized, so they're a breeze to put on, and they look so cheerful! I needed this splash of colour in my life today. It would be a five star rating if they didn't cost 8 quid a pair... and if they were actually the colour in the photo. I was just excited about all the colour when I got them, but they are not actually the colour I ordered.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Doublju_uk Mens Casual Single Color Round neck T-shirt WINE M (056R)
Doublju_uk Mens Casual Single Color Round neck T-shirt WINE M (056R)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sizing on medium is as expected for UK small. ..., 30 May 2015
Sizing on medium is as expected for UK small. I'm 6 foot with a slim but not skinny frame, and it fits me just about right, though the torso is about an inch shorter than I would prefer.

The colour is less "wine" and more "maroon". There's a difference. This has none of the rich, deep purple-red I would expect from "wine" based on the photo.

The fabric is nowhere near as supple as it looks in the photos. The product photo looks stretchier and softer, this is a bog-standard cotton fabric shirt and will lose its shape very quickly from my experience of similar shirts.

Doom 3 - BFG Edition (PS3)
Doom 3 - BFG Edition (PS3)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

3.0 out of 5 stars 3D a disappointment, but it's worth it for the originals., 16 Feb. 2013
Doom 3 was hotly anticipated among my crowd, but ultimately disappointed as it was not the same KIND of game as the originals. We missed the massive amounts of enemies, the open spaces and the fast-paced insanity. Technologically speaking, there are still things happening in Doom 3 I'm impressed by, but as a GAME, it was... Okay. EDIT: Actually, it's better than I remembered. It starts off slow, but once you get used to the way it plays, it's actually quite a bit of fun.

Now, I'm a big fan of 3D in games, despite finding it a distraction in a lot of film. The added depth gives a sense of immersion and spacial awareness that's lacking on a flat screen. Swooping around Arkham City is absolutely amazing on my Philips passive-glasses 3D set. I was excited to play the original Dooms in 3D, which I quickly learned wasn't going to happen, but I was still looking forward to playing Doom 3 in this way. It took me 20 seconds to shut off the 3D. I don't know if it's the PS3 or my TV or the game itself, but it was like walking through a hazy, acid-fuelled dream. The half-frames lagged considerably and made for an unplayable experience in a game where you move around a lot. I would love to heard from others with the PS3 version to see if it worked well for them. I've never had an issue with the 3D on my TV before, neither in games nor films, but Doom 3 was unplayable that way.

It was refreshing to play the original game, which has actually be ported pretty much directly with no changes to the way it plays or looks. They have not even modified it to support widescreen, which on the one hand is strange, but on the other is useful. I don't know if you remember this, but you can't look up and down in Doom. Not having played an unmodified Doom (Legacy, Plus and the other modifications of the Doom source all had full mouselook, if memory serves) since the nineties that caught me off guard and I kept trying to look up to get a better shot. Once you get used to it, though, it's not a big deal. The original Doom games are still perfect games of their generation, both displaying the creativity and anarchic mood of the early nineties action games, and being at the cutting edge of the tech of the day.

All in all, as the title of the review states, at the current price (13 quid) I would still say it's worth it even if you don't ever open up Doom 3. Just for the sake of having the originals on a newer system.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
by Jonathan L. Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Despicable Him, 16 Feb. 2013
Johannes is a despicable character in many ways, but entertainingly so. No, he's not the "charming villain" as this particular villain comes from an almost entirely emotionless, morality free and scientific mindset. Like a child, he makes a bunch of logical points and uses them to come to an almost completely illogical conclusion.

And therein lies the entertainment. In the beginning, I kept reading mainly because I liked his style (a sort of dark Pratchett) enough. I was curious to see where this was going. I also enjoyed the setting, which is anachronistic throughout. In some ways it's a modern world (at one point, the characters mention heavy metal music) but it's also stuck in a time of travelling freak shows and burlesque entertainment, and references and characters veer between the late 1800s and the late 1900s.

As the plot approaches a climax, Howard brings to the fore a depth in his writing that I personally hadn't noticed yet, but which had been there all the way through the book. I wouldn't want to keep describing the end of the book, but suffice it to say I am very excited to read the next in the series.

Emprex BTC LI06 LED 24 Watt 5 ft Tube Light, Daylight
Emprex BTC LI06 LED 24 Watt 5 ft Tube Light, Daylight

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but a touch cold. Remove your starters, folks!, 18 July 2012
UPDATE: The light stopped working after two years and Emprex have ignored my communications thus far. It's great while it works, but be warned!

I just installed the light, so bear in mind that this is a "first impression" type of review.
The quality of the light is beautiful, even if it is a bit on the cold side for the kitchen. It has none of the greenish tint of the Flourescent tube it replaced. Also, it uses half the power of the original tube, which is great as the tube light keeps being forgotten on and is the most power-hungry light in the house. It will more than make up for its higher price over its lifetime. Finally: No flicker, no "warming up" period. Instant on. Boom.

Note on installation: If you just remove the old tube and install the new, it will blink on and off. What's doing this is the ballast and starter that a fluorescent tube requires. You CAN remove the ballast, but you don't need to. All you need to do is take out the starter (the little battery-looking thing) with a twist and a pull, and you're ready.

Page: 1 | 2