ARRAY(0xb3d233fc)

Profile for Marco Bakker > Reviews

Content by Marco Bakker

Marco Bakker (AMSTERDAM, Noord Holland Netherlands)

A Work in Progress: Journal, Recipes and Snapshots
A Work in Progress: Journal, Recipes and Snapshots
by Rene Redzepi

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 9 Nov 2013
I got this little set of books a bit early, during Réne Redzepi's book tour early november 2013. He was so kind to sign it as well! The cookbook is a real inspiration. For me it's a trigger to find out more about what's growing close to home; stuff I normally wouldn't consider edible. It will be difficult to recreate some (most?) of the dishes, whether because of the techniques used, the time it takes to prepare (e.g., a basic like fermented garlic: store for 3 months at 60 degrees C), or the fact that some of the ingredients are just too local and hard to find in your own country. It shouldn't hold you back however to create at least a few stunning dishes inspired by what's in the book.

The set of books is beautifully designed by Phaidon. I understand why they decided to split it up in three separate volumes. The snapshots book is just that; a snapshot book with photo's probably mostly shot with (albeit not too shabby) mobile phones. The snapshots wouldn't have blended nicely with the beautiful pictures of the dishes in the cookbook. The journal is a good read, but equally wouldn't be a good a fit next to the other content since it's a very personal journal about René recovering from a (dare I say?) burned-out like phase in his life and finding back the joy in what he is doing.

If you're interested in NOMA the purchase of this book is a no-brainer. Your next purchase will likely be a ticket to Copenhagen :-)

Mighty Wallet® - The Original Tyvek Wallet® - Colour Bar design
Mighty Wallet® - The Original Tyvek Wallet® - Colour Bar design
Offered by Delightful-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, it's great..., 9 July 2013
Bought mine about three years ago in Amsterdam, exactly the same design. Now I'm about to buy a new one. The old one is still in-tact. No damage at all after everyday use for 3 years. The reason I'm buying a new one is that mine has become dirty while the colors have faded, not a pretty sight when you pull it out in e.g. a fancy restaurant. Still reluctant though, to buy a new one, because they definitely get better during use.

This was my first wallet without a coin compartment, never missed it since day one. I just put my loose coins in my trousers like all real grown up men do :) Reminds me of my granddad. And it's always a nice surprise to find some coins when/where you don't expect them, even in the washing machine :)

Joseph Joseph Worktop Saver, Thin Stripes - 30 x 40cm
Joseph Joseph Worktop Saver, Thin Stripes - 30 x 40cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Stunning looks but..., 28 April 2013
I purchased the board about a year ago. It looks really good and the glass feels like it can stand lots of abuse. However, after 6 months a noticed the first signs of the back coming off. It can't stand heat and/or water. I also don't like the sound it makes when chopping food, maybe because it is the sound of my knife getting dull...

I've had a few friends buying the same board after seeing it in my kitchen (that's because it really, really looks awesome). I wouldn't recommend it anymore however. I hope they change way the printed foil is attached in the future.