Profile for LoftyScribbler > Reviews

The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd
Price: 8.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking ..., 25 Feb 2007
I enjoyed this book. Not as much as I had expected, as it did seem to take some time to get going - but I liked the way Monk Kidd dealt confidently with issues of motherhood, familial angst, racism and a whole host of other topics. It is only a short book - so you haven't wasted much either in monetary terms or time by reading this.

Nights of Rain and Stars
Nights of Rain and Stars
by Maeve Binchy
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars The nights were full of stars for me ...., 11 Feb 2007
I thought this was a lovely book. Can't say that I have read much of Maeve Binchy's other work as it all seemed to be a little bit too similar for me. That said, this was a nice contemporary read. Shame that it is in quite a large format, as this may be off-putting to many that would pack in in their hand luggage as a quick read by the pool.

Recommend it to anyone going to the Green Islands, as a nice, steady little accompaniment when in the little Taverna or the beach. Nothing in there is going to get you laughing out loud and irritate your neighbours, but equally nothing to get you reaching for the kleenex.

Honest
Honest
by Ulrika Jonsson
Price: 5.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest?, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: Honest (Paperback)
In response to the review by A Reader (anon) entitled Liar....

It would appear to be somewhat unfair for the author of this piece to be so judgmental towards Ulrika. I read the book. Admittedly, before I read it I had thought she was just an attention-seeking, self-publicist. However, that changed after reading the book. She is one of life's victims but she is a survivor. Good luck to Ulrika and to those whose lives she may have touched. Probably important to note that when reading this book, you do feel a sense of "whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

Recommended reading.

Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
by Annie Hawes
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie Hawes - what a star ...., 11 Feb 2007
The olive groves of Liguria certainly came alive for me through Annie's wonderful writing. She had me thinking back almost 20 years to when I first spent a summer in the le Marche region of Italy. I can now understand why some of the locals gave me funny looks, as I wandered around in shorts that would've given Kylie's gold hotpants a run for their money. I can now also understand why everywhere we went, they wanted to fill us with (often foul-tasting) digestivo's etc and why, when I was sunbathing, so many locals came rushing to my aid to tell me that I was "on fire"!

Her descriptions of the local inhabitants, the scenery, the food, the wine etc leave you with a deep desire to book your flight back out there. She is a marvellous social observer and I envy her talents.

I also appreciate the way that she did not, as many Brits do, go out to a foreign country completely unprepared for the challenge of the language alone. Would recommend this book without a doubt.

A Foreign Field
A Foreign Field
by Ben Macintyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Villaret - Vive le France ..., 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: A Foreign Field (Paperback)
This book seems to have received mixed reviews and I would agree that it fares better in parts than others. However, the unmistakable quality of the writing and the research, merits more than a casual glance at this book.

It is true that it is primarily a love story, a story of great injustice and one of overwhelming sadness for the remaining victim - the daughter. It is also a wonderful depiction of the times and breaks your heart to read the realities of the mind-numbing atrocity that is war, of so many lost sons. We can never "make it better" but perhaps we can always remember. By reading this book, I believe we can try.

I would recommend this book to a variety of readers, not least family historians, to aid in their journey of discovery.

The Food Of Love
The Food Of Love
by Anthony Capella
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bella Italia! Beautiful food, beautiful country ..., 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Food Of Love (Paperback)
Wow - what a wonderful find. Couldn't put this beautiful book of Capella's down. You can almost feel the wonderfully green olive oil dribbling down your chin (just as you can feel the pounds piling around your hips!)

If you have ever been to Rome, this book transports you there in just a few short pages - the author describes not just the food, but the smells, the tastes, the combinations of flavours. Mrs Capella must be a very lucky woman for surely, no man can write as well as this without being able to love this well too.

Would recommend this book for anyone about to engage in a gastronomic delight, a trip to Italy or indeed ... a romantic liaison.

Page: 1 | 2