Profile for M. Bray > Reviews

Content by M. Bray

M. Bray "Mike" (Chelmsford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pink Floyd

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a real joy to watch again, 31 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I remember watching the original concert on tv - back in the 90's - and thinking it really was breathtaking. It's almost a 'best of' - from their work at that time - complete with all the lighting and stage effects that you'd expect.

I hadn't realised that this DVD was available until recently, so very pleasantly surprised to find it. It's a real joy to watch again.

If you're a Pink Floyd fan - I strongly recommend this DVD.

BRAND NEW 4 X ULTRASONIC PEST REPELLER PLUG IN BUILT IN LED NIGHT LIGHT MOUSE RAT SPIDER
Offered by SDS11

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst part of the device is that it has a ..., 31 Mar. 2015
I've had these working now for several weeks - and I am yet to be convinced that they actually work. Indeed, I posted a pic on Facebook a few days ago of a spider in my kitchen crawling up right underneath the very device that's meant to keep it out of my house in the first place!

I also have one in my loft - and the same was true there. A spider just a few inches away. This is not what I expected to happen!!

The worst part of the device is that it has a red flashing LED on the front - so leaving a device in anywhere prominent is a no-go as far as I am concerned, and I seriously considered sending them back on that basis.

I will continue with my test - but I suspect that these will soon be replaced by something else.

Cyrus Soundcan Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
Cyrus Soundcan Wireless Bluetooth Speaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but limited bass, 31 Mar. 2015
I've been a big Cyrus fan for many years - and own a full 5.1 Cyrus cinema system. I bought this mini speaker partly based on a 'one-off' deal going at the time - and also based on the reviews. I've had the speaker for some weeks now - and I typically use it to stream from my iPhone or other bluetooth devices. The speaker is easy to connect - and very high-tech in the way it powers up - with various noises letting you understand its status.

The speaker is quite small - and as others say - it would probably fit easily inside a coke can, so can be readily transported as needed, either around the house or on a trip. I mostly use mine in the kitchen - where it's not so large to be obtrusive - but still gives an ok sound.

The lack of sound quality stops me giving it 5 stars. Others rave about it - and it is good, but it doesn't have the 'wow' factor that (say) the Bose mini speakers have. This is especially true with respect to the levels of bass.

So, yes, buy it if, like me you want a small very transportable bluetooth device, but don't buy it expecting a 'miracle' of sound quality.

The Focal Easy Guide to Final Cut Pro X
The Focal Easy Guide to Final Cut Pro X

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 Jan. 2015
Very useful - and easy to follow with practical tips..

Citronic USB Audio Capture Device
Citronic USB Audio Capture Device
Offered by Capital Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device - and wish I had bought it earlier, 30 Dec. 2014
Great device - and wish I had bought it earlier. Very simply worked out of the box - and I'm now going through my old record collection - converting those lost tracks to MP3

LAYEN i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver Adapter. With aptX for Superior CD-Like Sound Quality! Stream Music Wirelessly from your Phone, Tablet, iPod, PC etc to Your Docking Station, Speakers or Stereo (Not Suitable for Cars - See Below)
Offered by LAYEN

5.0 out of 5 stars This is such a brilliant idea - allowing you to convert old style 30 ..., 30 Dec. 2014
This is such a brilliant idea - allowing you to convert old style 30 pin speaker docks to Bluetooth, it has to be one of the cleverest, best gadgets I've bought!

I must say that I was initially a bit confused when I originally read the product description - but soon figured it out.

If, like me, you have speakers etc with the old style, 30 pin Apple dock, this gadget allows you to convert those speakers to Bluetooth - meaning that you no longer need to dock devices at all - and indeed opens the speaker up to be streamed from many other Bluetooth devices as well.

I had considered dumping my old speakers before this - but have now given them new life!

Setting up took about 20 seconds. As soon as I paired it to my iPhone 6, it simply worked!

The Dukes of September [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Dukes of September [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Donald Fagen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concert - with I was there!, 2 Jun. 2014
If, like me, you were a fan of Steely Dan, Michael McDonald / Doobie Brothers / Boz Scaggs, then you will love this concert - which amounts to a combined 'greatest hits' of all three artists.

I'm a huge Michael McDonald fan - so I'm just jealous that they haven't brought this concert over to the UK.

The sound and video quality are great. Turn the volume up, sit back and enjoy!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Edition [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in 3D, 2 Jun. 2014
This is a very long film - and takes time to get going - but worth it in the end! The setting and effects are stunning, so if you have the chance, try to watch in 3D.

My only disappointment is that the code for the UltraViolet version doesn't work. (I get the impression that's it's been used already).

RHA MA600i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, but...., 3 Feb. 2014
I own two iPhones (1 for work - and personal), so I bought these headphones to use for both situations. They are very rugged and have so far survived the usual situations that in-ear headphones can expect.
Now the 'buts'...
1. The silicone in-ear buds may sound like a good idea, but, like some other users, I found in practice, that they keep falling out! Within only 2 weeks, I was back on Amazon to order standard rubber ones - which are fine.
2. This is my biggest problem - and means I am now looking to replace them... When I use them on my work iPhone to make calls, I get a loud buzzing - that is also transmitted to the caller. This makes them unusable for calls. I am now finding myself looking for a replacement.
Frankly, this is really disappointing - and I expected better for my money!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 11:35 AM GMT

Sony BDPS390 SMART Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player
Sony BDPS390 SMART Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - but disappointed with wireless connection, 2 Aug. 2012
I'm a huge Sony fan and have many of their products - ranging from audio systems, cameras, video cameras et al. This is my first Blu-ray player - and I particularly liked the fact that the device was a wireless connection.

My disappointment came during the set-up. It really struggled to connect to my BT home hub. It wouldn't connect via the automatic wireless set-up buttons, so nor any other of the recommended methods. It was then a case of trial and error via the manual settings. 1 hour down the line, we finally got it to speak with the BT homehub - and off we went... or not!

The device then decided that there was a software update - which it attempted to download, but then consistantly failed. Switching off and on again made no difference. I finally took an alternative approach to download the update on my PC, then burn it to disc - which once inserted into the device suceessfully updated! All done - and I foolishily hoped that the firmware update might fix the wireless problems. It didn't.

Next day, we are back to square one. Still wont connect to my wireless network. Tried manual again - which worked until the next day.

I finally gave up with wireless - and have since used a Solwise adapter to connect via a wired RJ45 connection.

These set-up problems were not what I was expecting at all. I'm a technical guy (the one who gets called in to help my friends and relations with their stuff), so while the work-around is OK,it is not what I wanted or expected from Sony.

The player itself works fine - just as I expected. Just a pity about the wireless.

Page: 1 | 2