Profile for Naomi Crosby > Reviews

Content by Naomi Crosby

Naomi Crosby (Derbyshire, United Kingdom)

Therapeutic Head Massager : Stress, Headache & tension
Therapeutic Head Massager : Stress, Headache & tension
Offered by Etosell01

2.0 out of 5 stars So irrelevant I forgot I'd got it, 4 Jun 2013
I used this a couple of times then put it away and forgot all about it. I wouldn't buy it again. it's surprisingly insubstantial, and just gives your head a scratch, not a massage.

RYA Competent Crew (A RYA training publication)
RYA Competent Crew (A RYA training publication)
by Royal Yachting Association

4.0 out of 5 stars covers the syllabus, 4 Jun 2013
This has everything you cover on your course: I thought I would get a copy from the skipper but didn't, so I bought this mainly for the knots. They are all there. Useful for revision before my next trip.

French Visual Phrase Book: See it • Say it • Live it (Eyewitness Travel Visual Phrase Book)

3.0 out of 5 stars limited, 4 Jun 2013
I chose this over the other kindle phrase book because it seemed to have more in it. However it was, in the event, really limited, particularly for foodstuffs. I didn't really notice the pictures, and mainly used the dictionary. This could have done with a proper search facility, but because there were so few words it didn't matter too much! On my next trip I will take a proper dictionary.

Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
by Andrew Whitley

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 21 Feb 2013
I bought all of this book (obviously) but only use a few pages. nevertheless I feel I have really had my money's worth. As others have said, much of the book is about the history of the corruption of bread making, interesting, but not useful to me. I can't eat wheat, and I have been making disappointing rye bread in the bread maker. This book showed me how to make delicious rye sourdough bread which is dead easy. It takes almost no time, just a bit of planning, and the results are delicious.

I have tried sourdough before, using another famous baker's book, but it was difficult and results were poor. This is brilliant.

Christine Falls: Quirke Mysteries Book 1
Christine Falls: Quirke Mysteries Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars not really a whodunnit!, 4 Sep 2012
I enjoyed this book. It's about Ireland post war, about male power and money, love, family relationships. The 'hero' is overweight, bad at relationships, drinks heavily. goodness knows how he's managed to be a consultant pathologist!. It's also about a crime, about piecing evidence together, about getting badly beaten up, so I suppose that's why it's called a crime novel. More than anything this reminded me of Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. Quality writing, disturbing themes.

Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide
by J. Dennis Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars a helpful guide, 15 Jun 2011
I inherited a D60 and wanted to test out whether I'd be interested in taking photography seriously. I'm better at the techy stuff than picture composition but so far (and I've not used it much) it's giving me the sort of information that will help me compose decent pictures too. The book explains when you might want to use each of the different automatic settings, which is really useful for practicing different aspects of the camera one at a time, eg when you want to concentrate on shutter speed, or depth of field. It also looks at use of light, taking pics in poor light etc and on holiday recently (without the book) I helped a friend take a decent shot when he felt the light wasn't sufficient! So I'd recommend it for someone like me at the beginning of a journey towards being a good photographer.

BBC Proms Guide 2011 (BBC Proms Guides)
BBC Proms Guide 2011 (BBC Proms Guides)
by Bbc Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 15 Jun 2011
If you like classical music and want to be sure not to miss what you most want to listen to, this guide is essential. It also contains interesting articles about main themes in each year's programme, composers, soloists etc but for me these are secondary.

Belleville Rendez-Vous [2003] [DVD]
Belleville Rendez-Vous [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michèle Caucheteux

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Dec 2010
This is one of my favourite films. Very funny and so clever. Does it help that I'm a cyclist too? I don't think so. There are some really good cycling touches, but you don't have to be a cyclist to appreciate the humour. The frogs scenes are out of this world!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I finished Wolf Hall, 26 Nov 2010
I'd been trying to finish Wolf Hall for ages - I loved reading it, but holding the book gave me neck and shoulder pain and it was too big to fit in a book stand. I'd been thinking about an e-reader for ages so finally realised that if I wanted to be able to read comfortably I would have to bite the bullet. And I love it! It's easy to hold, and in the evening, when I'm tired, I can enlarge the type so I can continue to read. It's easy to take on public transport too. I've bought a few books, some of those that had been waiting in my 'reading pile' for a while, so I've got plenty to keep me going.