Profile for Adam > Reviews

Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 30 Jan 2009
Being a big fan of Adam Sandler I was looking forward to seeing this movie. I have a pretty broad taste in movies and I enjoy those ridiculously silly movies that you can't help but laugh at, but this was too silly even for me.
It's not that funny, there are a few moments where I chuckled but nothing 'laugh out loud' funny, and all the main jokes were very crude and were focused mainly on Sandler's desire to sleep with his customers after he's cut their hair, and the majority of them were over 70 (may sound funny but just pushes the joke too far). The story's pretty lame and after an hour I switched off, by that time I didn't really care how it was going to all end.
Overall a pretty lame movie, one I'd suggest not bothering even renting and if you're not a big Adam Sandler fan...stay well clear!

Quantum of Solace (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Quantum of Solace (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Quantum of Solace, 30 Jan 2009
How do you go about making the next Bond better then 'Casino Royale?' A truly difficult task, and one that does not succeed.
Quantum of Solace isn't a bad movie, it's got all your key things for a fast paced, action packed film. You've got explosions, car chases, great fight sequences, beautiful women...but it lacks that 007 factor. Not once does Bond say his famous line 'The name's Bond...James Bond,' and it all feels a little too rushed. The story wasn't that great and at times was pretty difficult to follow, but it's Daniel Craig who once again steals the show giving an excellent performance. I Loved Pierce Brosnan, but it just feels that he was more worried about his hair getting out of place then getting rid of the bad guy, unlike Craig who is a much grittier, stronger Bond who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.
Overall not a bad movie, it wasn't great and I would imagine the die hard Bond fans weren't overly impressed, but if you forget about this being a Bond movie and think of it as a decent action flick then give this movie a go, you may be pleasently surprised.

Beetlejuice [1988] [DVD]
Beetlejuice [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alec Baldwin
Price: 3.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!, 30 Aug 2008
This review is from: Beetlejuice [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
As a young movie fan I was told by my Dad that I cannot call myself a true movie fan unless I start watching some of the classic movies that were around before the 90's. So seeing as nowadays the DVD charts can be fairly hit and miss, some weeks have some great movies, others are not so good, it makes it difficult to find something good to watch.
So when my Dad and I rummaged through the bargain box at Blockbuster to see if there was any hope of finding a decent movie, I came across Beetlejuice. Of course I'd heard of it and knew what it was about, but it was a movie that I thought I just wouldn't go out of my way to watch. My Dad, who had already seen it and loved it, quickly snapped it up and we headed home to watch it.
I never would of guessed just how good this movie was going to be. It was just such a good film, and once it had finished I certainly kicked myself for avoiding it all these years.
The cast were all cast perfectly, but it's Michael Keaton who really made this movie for me with his great, comical performance as Beetlejuice. He was just so wacky and really great to watch, and he delivers some great lines thorughout the movie.
Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis were also very funny as the recently deceased couple, seeking help to get rid of the new arrivals at their home. Although it sounds like a morbid plot, because it's Tim Burton it's works, and is very funny in a dark way, and even though the theme is death the whole film isn't dark and dull, but instead seems to be filled with colour.
So it just goes to show that just because it's old, certainly doesn't mean it's not a good film, so take my advice, don't rent it... GO BUY IT, because this is a movie that doesn't dissapoint! Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2009 5:06 PM GMT

Awake [DVD] (2007)
Awake [DVD] (2007)
Dvd ~ Hayden Christensen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Whats not to like?, 11 Aug 2008
This review is from: Awake [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
Well obviously this movie has the whole Marmite thing going on, you either love it or you hate it. It appears so far that most people on amazon really don't like it. Well I have to say I loved it. I was gripped from start to finish, I personally didn't find it slow at all and all the cast put on a great performance.
The twist was actually a pretty big shock to me, I didn't see it coming at all. And as the movie only runs for 75 minutes it's kept short and sweet. So how anyone can say it's slow surprises me, but we all have our likes and dislikes.
So if you're in the mood for a classy thriller then I would definately check this one out. After renting it the other night I will most definately be adding it to my DVD collection.

Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm Mcdowell
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 8.63

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it, 28 April 2008
First of all, I didn't grow up with John Carpenters Halloween, although I have seen it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its really hard to compare the two, because they're both very different and many fans who grew up with the first film will say that John Carpenters version is much better wheras the younger horror fans of today will enjoy the blood filled Rob Zombie version. I think it all depends on what you like, as the original left it to your imagination whereas this film is much, much more bloody and brutal.
I think the way Rob Zombie has delved into Micheal Myers childhood worked really well and it built up to the whole Haddonfield story where he comes back 15 years later and terrorises the neighborhood. Although the second half is very similar to what we have already seen in the original movie, its worth seeing it again as it feels very fresh and the finale between Laurie Strode and Micheal Myers was very tense and enjoyable.
The extras on the DVD are pretty good, and Rob Zombie provides a good audio commentary and the alternative ending is worth having a look at, as are the deleted scenes.
I was a little dissapointed though when watching this as after seeing it at the cinema I really enjoyed the scene where Micheal escapes from the Psych Ward and attached the security guards. Unfortunately, this scene has been totally cut and only a very small amount of it can be found in the deleted scenes. Instead, it has been replaced by a horrific and disgusting rape scene and then suddenly skips past to the bit where all the security guards have been killed and this when Myers escapes, which I was a little annoyed about as I was looking forward to seeing that scene again.
Overall, a really enjoyable horror that you'll either love or hate, with some decent extras, great acting from the whole cast (especially from Malcolm McDowell) and lots of blood. If you're a Halloween fan then check it out, if your an avid horror and gore fan, this film is right up your street.

Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem - 2 Disc Ultimate Combat Edition [DVD]
Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem - 2 Disc Ultimate Combat Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steven Pasquale
Price: 5.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame, 23 Mar 2008
This movie was pretty pathetic. The acting was plain and wooden, with silly sarcastic lines that make you cringe, the story isn't orginal whatsoever, the film being set in a small, secluded town with the geeky guy who likes the hot girl, but she's dating the arrogant class jock. And then there's the mother who has returned from the army to find her daughter doesn't really care if she's home or not. So far, a happy little picture has been set. And then the mother from the army can finally prove herself to her daughter when the Predators and Aliens decide to have another pointless battle and the geeky guy can prove to the girl he's got what it takes to save the world....wow, so original and exciting.
And the Predators and Aliens can't save this movie. They're as lame as the cast, although I should imagine their acting is a hell of a lot better. It baffles me why they take two great film series and put two of the greatest sci-fi characters into the same movie. Definately one to win the award of 'Worst Idea For A Movie Ever'
It gets to a point when you really couldn't care what happens to any of the characters, and that your main concern is when will the end credits appear. A lot of other reviewers have been saying that this is a lot like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it, but thats hard to believe, considering there is absoloutley nothing to love. Believe me, there's plenty to hate.

Whisper [DVD]
Whisper [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Holloway
Price: 3.31

4.0 out of 5 stars The new Damien...well, close, 23 Mar 2008
This review is from: Whisper [DVD] (DVD)
Whisper was a great little chiller that I came across in Blockbuster, hidden away on the back shelf. Having not seen much about it I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasently surprised. I was gripped from start to finish.
The story begins with convicted felon Max (Sawyer from Lost) who is hired to execute a kidnapping of David, the son of a wealthy woman. Along with his wife and two other strangers, they take refuge in a secluded lodge and wait for ransom instructions. But little do they know that David is not like a normal child, and that he is far from innocent, causing trouble among the kidnappers.
The acting is great from all of the cast, especially Max, who is played by Josh Holloway, known for his great performance as Sawyer in Lost. But it is Blake Woodruff who plays the young David who stands out, giving a truly splendid performance as the demonic child. Although this is at times similar to The Omen, it is still a great horror, proving that those unknown DVDs on the back of Blockbusters wall can actually turn out to be rather good (with the exception of Lake Placid 2, where calling it dreadful would be polite).

Rendition [DVD]
Rendition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Reese Witherspoon
Price: 3.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't grab me, 23 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rendition [DVD] (DVD)
Rendition really didn't grab my attention. I knew before I watched it that it wasn't a big, action packed, exlosive thriller, but I did think this was going to be a lot better.
Reese Witherspoon gives a great performance, along with Meryll Streep. But Jake Gyllenhall seemed to be a useless character, never really adding anything to the story and he was pretty wooden, which is a shame, as I've seen him in some great roles.
The story went along at a slow pace, but was intelligent enough to keep you sticking with it untill the end, and I liked the way they used the two different sides of the story, from the suspects perspective to the story behind the terrorist.
Overall, Rendition was an intelligent story, but a film that was hard to stay with and lacked tension, leaving you thinking that if you'd just watched the trailer alone, you wouldn't of missed much else.

Spider-Man 3 (2-Disc Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Spider-Man 3 (2-Disc Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Was it worth a third outing!?!?, 24 Oct 2007
Like the other two films, Spiderman 3 looks amazing. The scenes where Spiderman flies across the roofs off New York are always great to watch and the fight scenes are just as thrilling. Thomas Haden Church was excellent as the sandman and played the role very well. J.K Simmons (who plays J. Jonah Jameson) isn't in the film a lot but he provides some very funny moments. Also, James Franco as the New Goblin was great and he also played the part very well.
The story kept me interested for the 2 hours and when leaving the cinema I thought the film was fun and enjoyable. But there were a few things that I was dissapointed with, one being the darker side of Spiderman. Darker side!? What dark side? The only thing he did was strut down the street, mess up his hair and put his fringe over his face and dance with another girl to make Mary Jane jealous. Hardly dark about that.
I was also dissapointed with the fact that when Venom actually appeared as we see him in the comics (when he takes over Topher Grace) it was already 1 hour and 40 minutes into the film. I was starting worry that he had been cut out from the film entirely.
Also, the film sometimes take a turn towards focusing too much on the relationship issues between Peter Parker and Mary Jane. Although this is important I found it was getting too much like the love story that ruined Attack Of The Clones.
So yes, there are a few points where I was dissapointed but generally the film was worth a third outing, the effects were amazing and I will admit that it is now part of my DVD collection simply because it was just plain, good fun.

28 Weeks Later [DVD] [2007]
28 Weeks Later [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better then the original!, 16 Sep 2007
This review is from: 28 Weeks Later [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I really enjoyed 28 Days Later and I have to admit I'm not a big fan of sequels, so when I heard 28 Weeks Later was being released I just laughed. Then I heard Danny Boyle was working on Sunshine so he wouldn't be directing the film and I thought to myself 'What is the point in even bothering!?' So not that long after I went to see Sunshine and a trailer for the 28 Weeks appeared and it actually looked quite interesting. Unfortunately I missed it at the cinema, so after a few friends recommended it I rented it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I was kept gripped from the opening to the credits.
It starts off with Don (Robert Carlyle), his wife and a few other survivors who have took shelter in a cottage owned by an elderly couple. But disaster strikes when they are found by the infected and after ditching his wife and the others, Don makes a narrow escape on a boat. Over the net 28 weeks, Britain is declared relatively safe again and the survivors are being kept in District 1, a section of London full of survivors. Don is head caretaker and is reunited with his two children, Andy and Tammy. After they are settled in, Don tells them about their mother and Andy, worried he will forget about his mother, sneakes out of District 1 with his sister to quickly return home and get a picture of their mother. But when they return, they find their mother who appears fine but is actually carrying the infection. When she is brought in to be looked at, there is hope that she may be able to provide a cure, but when she accidentally passes the infection on, District 1 must be destroyed before anyone else becomes infected, and the remaining survivors must find a way out before it's too late. A thoroughly, enjoyable horror that turned out to be much better then the original. Two very big thumbs up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7