Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam

Adam (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
GEAR4 HouseParty 5 Speaker Dock for iPod / iPhone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, 26 Oct 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is hard to know what speakers to go for when looking for the best possible sound for the iPhone/iPod, but I really cannot recommend these highly enough. Not only is it a sleek, stylish design but the sound quality is crisp and clear and boy does this baby go loud (the base is great!!) The face of the speakers is touch screen which, although not so important, is a nice added touch and does give these speakers some more style. The remote is also very handy and works well from a pretty far distance. Great for parties, some chilled background music or a dance about on your lonesome in the living room.

Grey's Anatomy Season 6 [DVD]
Grey's Anatomy Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ellen Pompeo

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 May 2011
The fact that amazon.com now have a release date for the seventh season of grey's on DVD means surely we won't have to wait much longer right!?
Well I couldn't wait - I refused to. I am a huge Grey's fan and after managing to find a multi region hack code for my player (I strongly suggest this, it's so easy and means you can watch any region DVD) I grabbed a copy of the sixth season from amazon.com. What a purchase! Every episode is fantastic and the tension just keeps building and building until the phenomenal, heart stopping two part season finale! This is grey's like we've never seen before. Hang on in there, this is a season not to be missed!

Halloween II [DVD]
Halloween II [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scout Taylor-Compton
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Myers returns in so so sequel., 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: Halloween II [DVD] (DVD)
Rob Zombie stuck pretty close the to original 70's Halloween movie in the first remake. He gave a lot of insight into Myer's troubled past which I really liked and then kept it all familiar but fresh when he returns to Haddonfield later to bump off Laurie and her topless friends.
Halloween 2 seems to edge towards the original sequel and then catapults itself so far away that we are left with a bit of a mess. The original Halloween 2 was based around Laurie in the hospital which was very atmospheric and chilling as Myer's stabbed away at the numerous nurses. But here we seem to be in the hospital for not very long at all and then Zombie takes us on a whole new route, one that I wasn't expecting. Hats off to him for doing his own thing and not just creating another dull remake, but a bit more time and effort and this could have been very good.
First of all, the fact that Zombie has done his own thing will certainly not go down well with a lot of the old school Halloween fans so already he hasn't got a lot of people in favour of this film. But instead of drawing them in, he's probably only going to push them further away, along with the younger audiences too, simply because of the dream sequences. They really will divide the audience. Frankly I just thought they were bizarre and overused. Didn't work at all for me. I think it was mainly because it just gave off to much of a supernatural element that felt really out of place. And I know they couldn't cast the same kid who played young Michael in the first remake (he'd be too old now), but at least get someone who's not cute and cuddly like this kid was!
But the casting of the new kid was a minor problem compared to this one...what has Michael turned into! What made him so chilling and unique was the fact that he was so calm and silent. He'd just come out of the shadows and attack. This guy is just your usual horror psycho killer found in all the other movies, definately not Michael Myers. And he grunts when he kills! That's what really bugged me, he was such an angry grunting Michael who was just an insane 7ft man with a big knife and Michael's mask.
The bar scene felt very pointless also. For Michael to just randomly go into a bar and kill like that felt really out of place.
Going back to the supernatural element in this film, I was baffled at the scene where Laurie was eating a meat pizza and then it cut to the shot of Michael eating the dead dog and then it cut back to Laurie throwing up. I know they're brother and sister and all but that was the most ridiculous way of going about showing or hinting it.
I didn't totally dislike the movie though. As I said earlier, hats off to Zombie for making it his own story. As much as I would have liked to have seen how he would have done the whole cat and mouse chase around the hospital like the original sequel (and we do get a slight taster of that), I did like the element of surprise, the fact that this was an enitirely new story to be added to the Halloween series.
I think Taylor Scout Compton is great too as Laurie Strode. I really do think she is a very talented actress and suits the part of Laurie perfectly.
The finale wasn't as great as the first one, that had me not just on the edge of my seat but practically falling into the cinema aisle. This one comes...and then goes. There's no real build up, making it all feel a bit rushed. I also didn't understand why Laurie couldn't get up when being held down by 'Mummy Myers'. The fact that she suddenly became part of Michaels dream sequence completely threw me.
It was slightly scary in parts, but more kind of 'strong gory violence' scary, instead of 'rushing to your doors and making sure they're all locked' scary.
Dr Loomis was in this one just a bit too much, I don't think he needed such a big role. I love Malcolm McDowell, but some scenes just weren't very neccessary, like his appearence on the talk show.
The actual final scene (don't worry, no spoilers!)was pretty weird. Again, it brings back the annoying dream sequence which left me very confused.
So I was dissapointed when I finally got round to watching it after waiting so long. It's not as good as Zombie's first take on the Halloween series and it's miles away from the original. There's a lot of faults (grunting Michael!) but it's not a complete disaster. Just don't expect too much...Carpenters Myers will always reign supreme.

Lost - Season 5 [DVD]
Lost - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jorge Garcia
Offered by MediaMine

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me...well...lost!, 26 Nov 2009
This review is from: Lost - Season 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I've been a huge fan of Lost since series 1 and after channel 4 stopped showing it I simply forgot about it. However, I decided to revisit Lost and then ended up owning all 5 seasons. Season 5 was the one I rushed out to buy going by the fantastic reviews but now I'm just not sure what to make of the series. I found it became a bit of an effort to watch and have to say if I'd been watching it on Sky once a week I don't think I'd have had the effort to stick with it.
The plot....oh, the plot! It seems to have have lost the plot. I know that now we have to accept that simply anything can happen in this series, but the flashing through time here and there, back and fourth just left me bored.
Jack and Kate are incredibly irritating, with their on/off relationship. They're just very annoying characters, as is Locke, surprisingly, who I usually love.
And what was all the hype about the season finale. Yes, it was good...but not outstanding, I certainly wasn't desperate to know what happened.
I know all the Lost fans are probably going to mark this review as negative and I'm really annoyed that I didn't like this season. I really wanted too, I really did! And the frustrating thing is, after sticking with it for 5 seasons it's hard to just walk away, but I really do just want the series to wrap itself up now.
So in conclusion, a dissapointing season (for me anyway), really hoping it picks up for season 6, just hope they stop with all the time travel nonsense!

Bandslam [DVD] [2009]
Bandslam [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Lisa Kudrow
Offered by Leisurezone

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Bandslam [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This really was an incredibly bad film. I didn't exactly have high expectations for it, but I did expect it to be a bit of fun which it certainly isn't!
For some reason Vanessa Hudgens has no personality in it (this is no joke, her character actually has some emotional personality problem) where she spends the entire movie talking in a husky, extremely irritating voice. Unfortunately I think her whiny, baby like voice will only ever be suited for the High School Musical franchise, along with her cringe worthy acting.
The story is predictable and lame and this is a film that really tries to break away from the cliche 'cheesy, HSM' genre and fails miserably. It toys with adult themes like drink driving, death and divorce that just don't work and because all the characters are so annoying you really don't have any emotional connection with them and just pray that the credits will role very, very soon.
It's also extremely boring, I can't understand how any poor child could sit through this and actually be entertained.
Overall, I'd say this would be Number 2 on the top 10 worst movies of 2009 (afraid it's just beaten by the dire Ricky Gervais comedy 'The Invention of Lying'). Please avoid both movies, they're both a waste of time and money!

Desperate Housewives - Season 5 [DVD]
Desperate Housewives - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Teri Hatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperate Housewives - Season 5, 1 Oct 2009
Being a huge fan of the Desperate Housewives series, this season was dissapointing. As previous reviewers have said, the time jump of 5 years really did nothing to the plot. The writing is still good, but it's certainly not at it's best, many of the best lines going to Gabby (Eva Longoria Parker), who really does provide most of the humour this season. The 100th episode...actually not that great. Not as heartfelt and emotional as what it could have been and overall left you thinking 'was that it?' Which unfortunately, is a question that most of us seem to have been asking ourselves at the end of this season.
We also loose a much beloved member of the cast this series who will be deeply missed by many fans (personally, i don't think losing her was a good move at all on the writers behalf) and with ratings sinking in the U.S, the future of D.H doesn't look bright. It's not terrible, and seeing as I have Seasons 1-4 I almost feel I have to buy this boxset, so will look at it as hopefully just a weak season, a minor bump in the series which will hopefully improve in it's next season. But with (uncomfirmed) plans for a musical episode in season 6, this may well be the end to what was once a very, very good series.

Transporter 3 [DVD]
Transporter 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 7 April 2009
This review is from: Transporter 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The Transporter was a great movie, completely far fetched and ridiculous but very enjoyable. The second was even more over the top, not as enjoyable but still proved to be a decent action flick. Now, Transporter 3...plain and utter rubbish. There isn't a lot of action and when there is, as with a lot of new action films, it's badly edited, resulting in the sequences being much too fast paced and very annoying. In fact, it really doesn't feel good for the old eyes! Jason Statham is enjoyable to watch, remaining cool in all situations, but he's not enough to save this movie.
The story is nothing new and isn't interesting enough to keep you entertained for the films running time.
But the biggest (and most annoying) thing about this film is Natalya Rudakova, who I would now say is one of the worst actresses in the world. She was wooden, she was extremely unlikeable and she winges...a hell of a lot.
Overall, a big dissapointment. If you're hoping for a good Friday night action movie, this isn't it. A real shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2009 12:33 PM BST

The Children [DVD]
The Children [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Drama..., 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Children [DVD] (DVD)
This was turning out to be a pretty good 3 part drama right up until the last 15 minutes when the truth is revealed and it all seems completely pointless and a waste of time and to be honest, it's not hard to work out the 'who dunnit!' twist.
The acting is superb, and the story was going places, but it all soon feels rushed and the little girl becomes very irritating, and it reaches the point where you're not really bothered who killed her, why or what their motive was.
And if like me, you tuned in for 3 weeks to ITV, I should imagine you were fairly dissapointed with the outcome of the series. Dissapointing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2010 12:34 PM GMT

The Game Plan [DVD]
The Game Plan [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dwayne Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Game Plan [DVD] (DVD)
I was very surprised to find that this move wasn't bad at all! I really wasn't expecting much and these kind of movies don't usually appeal to me, but this was really good fun.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is great as the sportsman who likes to party and relax with his teammates and he really isn't a fan of children, so he's not to happy to find the ultra cute and cheeky Madison Pettis in the doorway of his luxury apartment, claiming she is his daughter. Cue lots of silly scenes and some touching moments and you've got a great Sunday afternoon film for the family.

National Treasure 2 - Book Of Secrets [DVD]
National Treasure 2 - Book Of Secrets [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame, 1 Feb 2009
I walked out of the cinema...I NEVER walk out of the cinema! But this film was dreadful and whoever wrote this script was either high at the time or was the same guy who came up with the idea of 'Howard the Duck.' Some truly awful lines in this film, I'm not sure anyone could sit through it and not cringe. The actings average and there's very little action. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there need to be huge explosions and car chases to make a good movie, but at least give this movie something to spice it up!
So I will never know how the movie ended...and I will probably never care. Avoid!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2009 12:22 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7