Profile for Dasypodidae > Reviews

Content by Dasypodidae

Dasypodidae "dasypodidae" (Finland)

Page: 1 | 2
Math Book, The (Sterling Milestones)
Math Book, The (Sterling Milestones)
by Clifford A. Pickover
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the math?, 2 Jan 2013
This is more about historical events around math rather than a book of math itself. A very shallow look into mathematics.

The Art of Cooking with Vegetables
The Art of Cooking with Vegetables
by Alain Passard
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book, 2 Jan 2013
Bought this by the recommendation of a chef. Mainly because it is not another cookbook with photographs, but with illustrations by Passard himself (if I got it right). I'll admit that they could be better but just one star reduction.

The recipes look very interesting and I've found a few good combinations although I have not made the dishes as they are but used the ideas in my own creations. But I will make some of them by the letter later on.

Language of Mathematics
Language of Mathematics
by Keith Devlin
Price: 13.70

5.0 out of 5 stars I still don't get it ;-), 2 Jan 2013
Although I cannot concentrate in all the details this book has to offer it has been fun to read. Now just in the half way and looking forwad reading the rest of the book.

Something's Not Quite Right
Something's Not Quite Right
by Guy Billout

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite, 2 Jan 2013
The book presents Billout's style of illustration, which I like, very well but compared to his other works this just misses something. Anyway, must have for Billout fans like me.

Byrne, Six Books of Euclid
Byrne, Six Books of Euclid
by Werner Oechslin

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to have it, 2 Jan 2013
A very well done reproduction of an exceptional printing effort. I also like that the history section is not included in the book but is a separate booklet in the box.

Heston Blumenthal at Home
Heston Blumenthal at Home
by Heston Blumenthal
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Heston at his best, 2 Jan 2013
All things very well explained. Now I finally have recipe (with measurements) of bacon and egg ice cream. Although the recipes are simplified versions of Fat Duck dishes they still require a lot of time. Anyway, please don't cut the corners and make everything just as Heston says, it is worth the effort.

Motorcycle and Bicycle Handlebar Mount for Cameras Camcoders Videocams
Motorcycle and Bicycle Handlebar Mount for Cameras Camcoders Videocams
Offered by Buybits Addons
Price: 11.19

3.0 out of 5 stars A toy, 2 Jan 2013
Not for a bike but ok for other attachements. Also too difficult for mount and unmount. (4 more required words )

The Frog Who Wanted to See the Sea
The Frog Who Wanted to See the Sea
by Guy Billout

2.0 out of 5 stars The story is OK, 2 Jan 2013
I've been a Guy Billout fan for ages but this book was a big disappointment. He is not known for bright colors but the scale is somewhat harsh. The typography is hideous and just barely readable.

I'll probably dump ths one to a secondhand bookstore and keep admiring his other illustrations.

Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The time-honoured ways are the best - over 700 recipes show you why
by Darina Allen
Price: 20.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Limoncello, 2 Jan 2013
I bought this book just for limoncello recipe (works really well) but there is other good ones too. A very good section of foraging for example.

But, as a graphic designer I do not like it at all. The glossy thin paper is just hideous and the three column layout with unjustified body text is just bad. There is a few good photographs but many are unprofessional. But I'm willing to trade bad design for good contents.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2013 4:15 AM BST

WMF Pressure Cooker Sealing Ring (gasket), 22 cm
WMF Pressure Cooker Sealing Ring (gasket), 22 cm
Price: 14.40

5.0 out of 5 stars A ring, 2 Jan 2013
This ring will not rule them all but if it works like the one I bought with the pressure cooker I'm happy. I'm happier still if I do not have to even replace it. Bought it just in case.

Page: 1 | 2