Profile for Starrynite > Reviews

Content by Starrynite

Starrynite "starrynite" (London UK)

All the Rage
All the Rage

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet., 14 April 2015
This review is from: All the Rage (Kindle Edition)
Courtney Summers' books are always gripping, suspenseful and full of the kind of emotion that hits you like a punch to the stomach. She pulls no punches here. Several interrelated story threads weave in and out of one another as we build up a picture of the events that have happened over the last year in the town of Grebe, through the eyes of Romy Grey, the town pariah.

Romy's internal rage, pain and frustration, as well as her often apathetic acceptance of the way she is treated by her fellow students and the residents of her home town, are brought to agonising life by Summers' vivid prose.

This book will stay with me long after reading and will draw me back to it again and again I have no doubt.

Fated
Fated

1.0 out of 5 stars That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back, 4 April 2015
This review is from: Fated (Kindle Edition)
This is, without a doubt, the worst book I have ever read. The plot line is ridiculous with several gaping plot holes. There is absolutely no characterisation or description and the grammar is appalling. I don't think the author even bothered to proof read. This makes 50 Shades of Grey look like a Booker Prize winner. Seriously, don't bother.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer
Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for night weaning, 19 Feb. 2015
We used this product to gently night wean our twins from breastfeeding. We used it in conjunction with the book 'Nursies when the Sun Shines' and it really helped them understand the difference between night and day. They were 26 months so had a good understanding, which I think definitely helped, and we have lots and lots of cuddles. Now when they wake up, they just come and climb in our bed for cuddles and usually go straight back to sleep, which is a million times better for me as I was finding the feeding through the night really exhausting. Now we definitely get more sleep. This product can definitely be used as a gentle way to show small children the difference between night and day.

Babyrascals Large Bath Toy Bag (Baby Product) 50cm x 30cm approx
Babyrascals Large Bath Toy Bag (Baby Product) 50cm x 30cm approx
Offered by Danmark - Babyrascals Official Outlet

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Jan. 2015
The suckers on the bath net are not very efficient. We have smooth tiles that other suckers stick to with no problem, but the net keeps falling off - often on top of my children when they are in the bath. I know it wasn't an expensive product but I am very disappointed that it is not fit for purpose.

ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this!, 4 Oct. 2013
Without wanting to sound like a zealot, I want to buy this book for everyone I know who has a toddler.

Easy to read, easy to understand, specific enough without being a set of rules, it gives you a fantastic understanding of your toddler's abilities and limitations using lots of real-life examples. It is well organised and will be easy to dip in and out of as and when new issues arise.

This book really helps you manage realistic expectations of your toddler's behaviour and has lots of hints and tips to make life run more smoothly for everyone with a loose structure you can apply to pretty much any given situation in order to help meet your toddler's needs.

I honestly can't recommend it enough!

Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies
Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly, no one gets kidnapped by pirates, 24 May 2013
However, (piratical kidnapping - or lack of - aside) there is a lot of great stuff in this book.

From first dates to Ferris Bueller, Hadley Freeman takes us on a journey of awesomeness. With her tongue often firmly wedged in her cheek she deals with issues such as how to cope when your friends have babies, why the Sex and the City movies totally sucked and how the media is completely obsessed with women's bodies - to the exclusion of any other facet we may have.

This book feels like getting comfy on a sofa in a wine bar with one of your best friends and putting the world to rights. And proof that feminism is still something that should remain high on every woman's agenda.

Definitely worth a read.

My Animals and Other Family
My Animals and Other Family

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly told, 26 Mar. 2013
Telling the story of the first twenty years of her life through the many and varied animals that were significant in her life, Clare Balding's autobiography is at times moving, cringe-worthy and laugh-out-loud funny.

An absolutely excellent read, whether you understand a thing about horse racing or not (I don't!). I was disappointed when I realised I had reached the end.

Cracked Up to be
Cracked Up to be
by Courtney Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely all it's cracked up to be!, 12 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Cracked Up to be (Paperback)
I read the first two chapters of Courtney Summers' stunning debut novel months before its UK release. By the end of the first paragraph I was hooked. The rest of the novel did not disappoint.

Summers expertly transports the reader into the world of Parker Fadley a 'perfect' student who has fallen dramatically from grace. The truth behind Parker's plummet into slow self-destruction is played out progressively through a series of flashbacks, each one tempting us with further clues but skilfully witholding the details of the event that finally tipped her over the edge.

Parker's voice is clear and resounding; the world she inhabits is vibrantly real. Despite Parker's general antisocial attitude, the insight we are given into her tortured innermost thoughts means it is impossible to dislike her and Summers' makes us long to know what happened that fateful night and how Parker can find absolution.

The emotional intensity is carried carefully up to the final reveal when at last we come to understand the question Parker continually asks: What's the worst thing you've ever done?