Profile for Douglas Wright > Reviews

Content by Douglas Wright

Douglas Wright "killieexile" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Vietnam: The Real War: A Photographic History by the Associated Press
Vietnam: The Real War: A Photographic History by the Associated Press
by Pete Hamill

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book., 24 Nov 2013
As said by the author within the book, Vietnam was the first and last war to have true freedom of the press. It is a peerless photographic record.

Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic., 15 April 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Every now and then British TV throws up a gem, this show works on so many levels that it is very hard to not laugh and cry simultaneously. It offers both excellent situation comedy and a very shrewd commentary on our social care system and those who work in it.
I was never a fan of Ricky Gervais to be honest before Karl Pilkington came along but with this he has converted me.
I know there is talk of a second series, I hope they tread carefully. This show could be remembered fondly without going until it 'jumps the shark'.

Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011]
Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Emily Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning movie, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I read mixed reviews for this, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. I absolutely loved the visuals throughout, the soundtrack is the best I have heard in a long time and the in-feasibly beautiful Emily Browning was mesmerising throughout. If you enjoyed movies such as 300, Sin City and Shutter Island, then this movie is a must.

Terra Nova - The Complete Series [DVD]
Terra Nova - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason O'Mara

3.0 out of 5 stars Not how it may seem in trailers., 10 July 2012
This series is very well produced, the effects are great, the sets are amazing etc but if you are expecting to see any dinosaurs forget it.
I think they tried too hard to give this show broad appeal, the generic family of main characters would slot into Eastenders or something quite easily.
In an effort to make the show appeal to everyone, it appeals to nobody in particular.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by LT Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars I had a life before Skyrim.., 11 Dec 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Then I took an arrow in the knee. Now all I can do is play Skyrim.

There are a few bugs and glitches in this game, and I do wonder if it would be better as an MMO or even just having some form of PVP.

Downfall (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Downfall (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Bruno Ganz

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in everyones collection, 9 Feb 2011
I cant really say anything that other reviewers havent already, I will simply suggest that everyone should watch this movie atleast once in the same way as 'Schindlers list' or 'Grave of the Fireflies'.
Even if was films aren't your bag i'm sure you will still appreciate this one.

By the way, also read the review from the guy who gave this film 1 star, it may tell you if this movie is NOT for you, or atleast give you a giggle.

Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]
Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isao Takahata

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Grave of the Fireflies [DVD] (DVD)
As with all studio Ghibli movies this is exceptionally well put together, the characters feel very human.
As in other reviews I have read of this, I will say it is very different from the fantasy of the other Ghibli offerings, but in dealing with a real subject it loses none of its magic.

I am a 30 year old man, and this movie reduced me to tears. Everyone should see it at least once.

Setsuko will be with me forever.

Arn: Knight Templar [DVD]
Arn: Knight Templar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Callow

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Robin Hood, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Arn: Knight Templar [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered this along with Robin Hood having never heard of the books let alone read them, after the bitter disappointment of Russel Crowe and friends I have to say this was a very pleasant surprise. Your average cinema goer will perhaps be put off by the extensive subtitles but this has never affected a film for me and it actually adds to the colour of the characters in this case.
I will definitely be looking out for this director, and also these books.
Excellent movie.

Kick-Ass [DVD]
Kick-Ass [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chloe Moretz
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass [DVD] (DVD)
I had heard about this movie and seen the trailers, but that didnt quite prepare me for what I saw when I watched it. This is a fantastic movie, having been a bit of a comic-book nerd the premise wasnt so far out there to me (ie daydreaming about what if..)but the execution of it was superb. The characters were all very well cast and the standard of acting was excellent.
Once the fuss over the controversial aspects of this movie blow over (lets face it, Southpark has done more controversial stuff involving kids), I hope that people will respect this as a proper classic.

Spirited Away [DVD]
Spirited Away [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daveigh Chase

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Spirited Away [DVD] (DVD)
I am used to watching 'hyped' movies and coming away underwhelmed, that is so far from the case with this movie. The story has elements from Alice in wonderland and the Wizard of Oz, but it goes so much deeper than either of those two stories. The main character from the moment she sticks her tongue out at her new school as they drive past, is embedded in your heart and the supporting characters are so strong and colourful that they are all memorable.
If you have an interest in anime, or even just in great cinema, then this must be in your collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3