Profile for blondeanomaly > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
White 2.0m x 5.0m Professional Studio Vinyl Photography Backdrop
White 2.0m x 5.0m Professional Studio Vinyl Photography Backdrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, 29 Aug 2014
I bought this backdrop late last year and since then have used it many times in my home studio. It is brilliant - I have other paper and fabric backdrops but although this vinyl backdrop is heavier, it is so much more durable and the fact it wipes clean is brilliant. I do a lot of photo shoots involving children, and using bubbles for photos and cake smash sessions where icing gets smeared everywhere means that I needed something that would stand up to the constant cleaning I required! It's great for general portrait photography as a white background as well. Highly recommended.

EA Sports Active 2 (PS3)
EA Sports Active 2 (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars The only exercise I've ever stuck at!, 23 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought EA Sports Active 2 after Christmas as it was in the sales for £10 and I really needed to lose my Christmas weight (not to mention my baby weight!) and get fitter. In the past, I've bought loads and loads of exercise dvds which all have one thing in common - I stop using them within a few weeks and they gather dust in a box. Not the case with this! This is the only exercise I have ever stuck with for longer than a few weeks, and it is working! I'm currently over half way through the 9 week program, and feel fitter and healthier, and I've lost weight too. The thing for me that keeps me coming back is the varied exercise routines and the fact you have trophies (goals) to work towards - what can I say, I like collecting trophies! It motivates me to keep going and having set exercise days for the 9 week routine means that I always try to complete every workout so I don't have any missed days.

The workout group feature is great, I set up a group with some family members and it adds some extra motivation (and a bit of competitiveness between some of the men!).

I have 2 children under 3 and I just don't have time for the gym, so this is the perfect way to get fit (and stay fit!). I manage to squeeze in the scheduled workouts at some point during the day - I have been known to do them around 10pm at night as that is sometimes my only free time! As you can do exercises using the resistance band or your own weights, and alter the intensity, it is perfect for all levels of fitness.

I would highly recommend EA Sports Active 2 to anyone, and if you can get it for around £10-£15 why not give it a try? It could be the best money you ever spend!

Eden
Eden

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - let down by grammatical errors, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Eden (Kindle Edition)
I had such high hopes for this book, having recently read 'The Hunger Games' trilogy, 'Delirium' and 'Divergent'. The reviews on here were good and I was looking forward to reading it. However, a few pages in I had to force myself to keep reading, as this book appears to have never been near a proofreader. If you are the kind of person that doesn't notice or care about grammatical mistakes, you will probably enjoy this as the actual storyline is good. If you do notice these things, you may well find the book very hard to read as you will keep noticing errors.

For example, I was only a few pages into the book and came across the line 'We drug the pieces of bear through the camp'. As far as I know, an item can only be 'dragged' somewhere. Another example - "he filled a small vile with my blood" - obviously should say 'vial' and would be something any proofreader would easily pick up on. There were also lots of instances where it seemed like the author had used a thesaurus to find an alternative word for something, but hadn't got the meaning quite right. And she didn't appear to know the difference between 'where', 'wear' and 'were' (something I notice another reviewer has mentioned on the Amazon.com site).

It's a shame, because with proper editing and proofreading this book has great potential. The storyline is interesting and the writing, although flawed, is very descriptive and imaginative. For me though, I was unable to enjoy it as it was let down by all the grammatical mistakes.

Review edited to add - I see that the book has been optioned by a movie studio. If it does get made into a film I would certainly watch it, as there would be no worries about writing errors! And, as I mentioned earlier in my review, the story itself is interesting.

Sweet Valley Confidential (Sweet Valley High)
Sweet Valley Confidential (Sweet Valley High)
by Francine Pascal

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 11 April 2011
I loved the original Sweet Valley High series so when I found out that this book was being released, I pre-ordered it and it arrived on Saturday. Having finished reading it, I kind of wish I'd never bothered. The book is full of inconsistencies which anyone familiar with the original series will pick up on, and the personalities of Jessica and Elizabeth seem to have completely changed. I didn't find the main storyline believable at all (I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it and actually want to bother reading it) but suffice to say that I wasn't impressed with this book.

I believe that this book was actually written by Francine Pascal rather than the ghostwriters originally used in the previous books, and it shows. I know I look back on my childhood reading SVH with nostalgia but I was expecting something better than this. I suppose the best thing about the book would be the epilogue in which we get to find out more about other characters' lives but again this has inconsistencies (such as Roger Collins' son now being called Sam instead of Teddy, for some inexplicable reason). It seems to me that Francine Pascal didn't do enough research on the original books, and none of the editors were familiar enough with them to notice either.

In summary, I was disappointed with the story and wish I hadn't bothered, I would have been better making up my own ending for the characters in my head! In fact I may just do that... ;)

Typhoon T-Jet Fins
Typhoon T-Jet Fins
Price: £12.95 - £17.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended flippers, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Typhoon T-Jet Fins (Misc.)
I bought these flippers to take on holiday to Egypt as the flippers I already had were large and took up a lot of room in my case (plus these were pink, what can I say, I like the colour!). I ordered these from Amazon and they arrived quickly. The flippers were a good length, quite light and were very comfortable and soft on, much more so than my old flippers. I found them perfectly fine to snorkel in - although I wasn't sure if they would be as good as my old flippers as they were quite a lot shorter, they were great and I didn't notice any difference.

I am a shoe size 4-4.5 and I bought the adult size 4-7.5 which fitted really well, as the flippers have adjustable straps which is handy if you want to share them with a friend.

I would definitely recommend these flippers, especially if you are taking them abroad to snorkel and you want to save room and weight in your luggage.

Melissa & Doug Shapes Chunky Puzzle
Melissa & Doug Shapes Chunky Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning, 13 Jan 2011
I got my 21 month old daughter this puzzle for Christmas, and have been really pleased with it. The puzzle itself is handmade from wood, and consists of 8 different shapes of varying bright colours with the corresponding colour/shape on the puzzle board for the shape to slot into. My daughter started playing with this puzzle on Christmas Day and now, 3 weeks later she has more or less learnt all of the shapes (although she does get square and rectangle mixed up!). Great start! I specifically bought this puzzle to teach her shapes, so it has worked well so far. The only colour she recognises at the moment is green, so we will have to work on that!

I would recommend this puzzle as a good way to teach your child shapes and colours.

MET Elfo Childrens Cycle Helmet - Blue Pirates, 46-53cm
MET Elfo Childrens Cycle Helmet - Blue Pirates, 46-53cm
Offered by thelabshop.eu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet!, 13 Jan 2011
I bought this helmet in the summer for my 18 month old daughter as my husband and I wanted to take her cycling on the back of our bikes. I spent ages trying to find a helmet that would fit her small head, and after measuring her head came across this one on Amazon. The structure of the helmet is great - lightweight and sturdy with an adjustable headband inside and chin straps (standard helmet fittings). Design-wise, the one I chose was white with pink flowers which looks nice on my daughter (not that she cares how it looks!).

I would recommend this helmet if you have a young child or one with a small head, and there are plenty of designs to choose from which is a bonus.

The Christmas Bible Storybook
The Christmas Bible Storybook
by Maggie Barfield
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended book, 13 Jan 2011
As it came nearer to Christmas I was looking for a board book to read to my 20 month old daughter to explain the story of Jesus' birth, as most books around just seemed to deal with the non-Christian aspects of Christmas. I ordered this book having previously bought The Easter Bible Storybook which I was impressed with and would definitely recommend this one too. My daughter loved the bright, colourful pictures and the amount of detail in the story was perfect - enough to tell the Christmas story but not too long to bore her!

All in all, this book is highly recommended for toddlers, and I'm sure I will be reading it again to my daughter next Christmas.

Tantrums and Tiaras
Tantrums and Tiaras
by Linda Francis Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Linda Francis Lee, 24 Jun 2010
This review is from: Tantrums and Tiaras (Paperback)
Having read Linda Francis Lee's previous book, 'Ladies Who Lunch' (also known as 'The Ex-Débutante') I was pleased to find that she had written another book on the same subject matter - the lives of society women in Texas.

The basic premise of the story is the central character, Carlisle Wainright Cushing, has left Texas and become a top lawyer in Boston. She returns to Texas after a phone call from her mother, and proceeds to become involved in not only negotiating her mother's divorce settlement, but organising the town's 100th annual débutante ball, and at the same time dealing with a host of other problems including a complicated ex who she still has feelings for and her crazy family members. The book is well written, entertaining and gives mention to some of the same characters we first met in 'Ladies Who Lunch'. If you enjoyed 'Ladies Who Lunch', I would definitely recommend this.

Note - this book is also known as 'The Devil in the Junior League'.

BV Leisure - Murder Mystery Party By The Mob
BV Leisure - Murder Mystery Party By The Mob

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, 26 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was looking for a murder mystery game to play with my extended family (all adults - although I would say this game is suitable for anyone over 13 - it is rated as a '12' on the box) at Christmas and after looking around at various different options I chose this game (bought from WHSmith at the time). I sent out the invitations and asked everyone to dress in 20's gangster type costumes. On the night there were 6 of us, 3 male and 3 female, and we had a 3 course meal with nibbles to start and plenty of wine. I recommend taking your time playing this game, spreading it out over 3 courses as everyone has time to get into their character and think of ways to improvise! Everyone I was playing the game with really got into it (after a bit of coaxing for some!) and it was great fun. I would definitely recommend it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3