Profile for anticlimactic > Reviews

anticlimactic

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer a Zombie!, 5 Mar. 2013
I am on medication for thyroid, diabetes and heart problems. For quite a while I have felt lethargic and tired during the day, yet would feel awake when I went to bed meaning my sleeping hours became almost random. I felt tired when I woke up, no matter how many hours of sleep I had. I even bought a carbon monoxide monitor to make sure my gas fire was not trying to kill me!

I received an unsolicited email about ubiquinol and it sounded relevant to my circumstances. I read the section in Wikipedia which at least suggested this was not just some quack product and thought I would try it. This seemed to be the cheapest option - I am not sure why some versions cost over five times as much!

I have only been taking it for a week but the change was immediate. I felt genuinely tired in the evenings, went to sleep quickly and was wide awake when I woke up. My brain is more alert during the day rather than the 'zombie' state I was in. It may be my imagination but it also seems to have slowed my heartbeat.

I am assuming this is not just a placebo effect, or that the effect will wear off over time. For the equivalent of £4 per month this has [apparently] greatly improved my quality of life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2013 2:16 AM GMT

SQUEEZE SALT & PEPPER MILL GRINDER KITCHEN SET BALL BUBBLE
SQUEEZE SALT & PEPPER MILL GRINDER KITCHEN SET BALL BUBBLE
Offered by E Bargains UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 10 Sept. 2012
At this price I was half expecting one but you do get two grinders, and they are full sized.

There is a knob on the base to adjust it from fine to rough. They also come with stands which incorporate a funnel, which could be useful if you want to fill a salt cellar for the table. The rasp seems to be a tough ceramic material.

The only potential negatives are that the clear plastic feels brittle and could possibly break if dropped, and the flashing on the moldings has not been smoothed down, but neither is really an issue.

I have always liked this design idea but, reading reviews of similar products and experience of one I bought years ago, there can be problems. The cost means these are completely expendable. I have only just received them but they seem perfectly adequate and I would recommend them.

100 CD / DVD SLEEVES
100 CD / DVD SLEEVES
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly satisfying to use, 25 July 2012
This review is from: 100 CD / DVD SLEEVES (Electronics)
I bought a spindle of DVDs and needed some covers and chose these. It is odd to get enthusiastic about something like this, but I am.

Firstly as it is all plastic you can see the whole of the DVD/CD. Next - the flap is pre-creased so folds down really neatly. You could attach labels if you need to write on them.

As I have a new PC I had most of my software around and replaced all the paper/cellophane covers with these [remembering to cut out and keep any license information!]. They are quite roomy and I have on occasion fitted in the instruction folder as well.

They have a nice look and feel and are much sturdier than the paper/cellophane equivalent. I would use these in preference to a jewel case [suitably boxed].

Strongly recommended.

Shuttle SH67H3 XPC Case - Black
Shuttle SH67H3 XPC Case - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars SH67H3 / SH67H7, 5 July 2012
Normally I buy second hand IBM laptops but I wanted a new desktop as a media player. As it was to go under the TV I wanted a small format box but all the pre-built ones seem to use the Intel Atom and I wanted a more high-end spec. I came across the Shuttle which seemed ideal even though I have never built a PC before. This is really a semi-barebones system as all that is required is to add CPU, memory and internal drives. I went for the H7, identical to the H3 except for doors on the front to cover the ports and drive bays - much neater.

I did consider the i5-3750k Ivy Bridge processor but this requires the version 2 motherboard [which I have] and a specific level of BIOS [which I am not sure I have] so I went for the i5-2500k as the best all round processor.

I wanted an SSD for speed and quietness. I always store data externally so it only needed to store the OS and software. Originally I was aiming for the Corsair 60GB, but in the end chose the Samsung 830 128GB. Although the Samsung has a slower write speed this is unlikely to affect me, and the life span for normal use is 40 years plus. I also decided on the larger size as I intended to get a Freeview dongle and record TV programs. Windows 7 has allocated 23GB for virtual storage and page files so a larger size is a good idea anyway, and the price difference is not so great. I could even have bought a 256GB SSD for only 50% more.

For the optical drive I bought a Pioneer Blu-ray rewriter BDR-207DBK at only £64. My music is on a NAS box and my DVDs are on USB HDDs so my Sony Blu-ray player is only kept for the occasional blu-ray disk. This drive means I no longer need the Sony. The SH67H3 has HDMI 1.4a anyway so no loss of function. Also as it is a rewriter it means that you can store 25GB or 50GB [dual layer] on blu-ray disks. Possibly a useful feature.

For memory I went for the Corsair 1600 MHz dual channel 8 GB [2x4GB] with the spiky heatsinks. Although 4GB would probably be enough the cost is so small you may as well get 8GB.

Assembly : As I have never done this before it was nerve-wracking although actually straight-forward. Once I positioned the CPU it actually fell in to the slot. The only problem was spreading the thermal paste. In the end I used the plastic which covered the CPU slot to push it around. Perhaps clingfilm over your finger would be okay - it melts when the CPU first heats up and spreads anyway so it does not have to be perfectly level. Because I had the H7 version positioning the blu-ray was critical - too far back and the button on the door did not connect, too far forward and it connected all the time! Got there in the end.

One thing I did not realise is that it is critical to install the Shuttle drivers as soon as you have installed the OS.

I am really happy with this purchase. Although more expensive than a pre-built 2500k system if I upgraded to SSD and blu-ray it would probably be more expensive. I have exactly what I wanted.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2013 1:51 PM BST

Black + Decker PD1080 Flexi Vac Dustbuster - 10.8 Volt
Black + Decker PD1080 Flexi Vac Dustbuster - 10.8 Volt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 13 May 2012
Initially I thought the hose was a bit of a gimmick, but in practice it transforms the usefulness of this device. Normally these kind of devices are a replacement for a dustpan & brush, but with the hose extended it can also replace the yellow duster and feather duster!

With the hose extended and the brush in place it is good for dusting hard surface - tops of skirting boards, dado rails, shelves, cobwebs, etc. The hose gives precise and rapid dusting, also the dust is sucked up rather than moved to a lower level!

Carpeted areas are probably best done with the brush flipped back - it gives better suction as well. I have used it on the stairs and awkward areas by the bed [and for cigarette ash on the living room carpet!]

Minor downside : The dust on the inner filter is very fine so when emptying it the slightest breeze moves the dust sideways - it can cover a wide area. I use a large artists paintbrush to help clean this inner filter.

This cleaner would be much better with a shoulder strap so that when dusting one hand is left free to move things around.

I am finding it a very useful device and am glad I bought it.

Rockport Men's Fairwood Moc Boot Dark Tan Shoe K59575  9.5 UK, 44 EU, 10 US
Rockport Men's Fairwood Moc Boot Dark Tan Shoe K59575 9.5 UK, 44 EU, 10 US

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable., 13 May 2012
I have had problems with shoes recently in that they can become uncomfortable, even painful, if I do much walking in them. I bought some Rockport shoes a few months ago which were much better in this respect. These boots were at a good price and so I tried them. They have turned out to be extremely comfortable - I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Design, 13 May 2012
This was for use in the kitchen and having individually switched sockets was a requirement to turn off things with no off switch [iron, sandwich toaster] and things not in use [such as chargers]. The neon lit switches are an excellent feature and is the main reason I bought it. Construction seems reasonably solid.

The only quibble I might have is with regards to wall mounting. It can only be mounted horizontally with the lead to the right. Initially I wanted it mounted with the lead to the left, or [given the socket layout] vertically. I have found that I do not need it wall mounted so this is no longer an issue but it would be useful if it were designed to give more flexible wall mounting options.

Illustrated Dictionary of Practical Pottery (Ceramics)
Illustrated Dictionary of Practical Pottery (Ceramics)
by Robert Fournier

5.0 out of 5 stars A must MUST have!, 7 Feb. 2012
I have a second hand copy dating from 1973 which I have probably had for thirty years. It has been my primary reference book during that time and has never let me down.

Whether you are a beginner looking for an overview of various techniques or have more advanced queries it is an invaluable reference.

The Potter's Guide to Ceramic Surfaces: A Practical Directory of Ceramic Surface Decoration Techniques, Plus Guidance on How Best to Use Them
by Jo Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' Book, 7 Feb. 2012
Many books on ceramics are interesting, but few of them are 'must have'. This is certainly one of mine.

It takes you through a wide range of techniques, and has some nice examples of what can be done. Some techniques may be unavailable to you as it needs equipment you haven't got access to [eg. Raku] but I would expect at least some of the techniques will inspire you to do something more adventurous - certainly worth the price of the book.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in developing their pottery skills.

500 Ceramic Sculptures (500 Series)
500 Ceramic Sculptures (500 Series)
by Lark Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Errm...!, 7 Feb. 2012
You certainly get a lot of book for the money, unfortunately I found it rather disappointing. As an amateur potter I was hoping for ideas and inspiration but apart from the sculpture on the cover I didn't really find much.

Most of the contributors are American and I get the impression that a random collection of ideas and objects constitutes 'sculpture'. I can appreciate how much effort and skill went in to making many of the objects, but the word 'why?' kept coming to mind.

I prefer sculpture to be aesthetically pleasing or have something to say. I have seen quite a lot of ceramic sculptures that I liked [elsewhere], but this book seems like a lot of fish from a small pond. The idea behind the book is great but I would have liked to have seen a much wider spectrum.

Obviously this is only a personal opinion and others have enjoyed the book so I may be the odd one out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2016 1:30 PM BST