Profile for Jeni > Reviews

Leiths Cookery Bible
by Prue Leith
Price: 17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars All you'll ever need, 4 Dec 2005
This review is from: Leiths Cookery Bible (Hardcover)
Echoing what has been said before, this is the best all round cookbook you'll ever find. Truly comprehensive and easy to use, it contains everything from comfort food to special occasion dishes. The primer at the beginning is fascinating, giving all the info you'll need on meats and veg, and preparation, and throwing dinner parties for the masses!
I stole my Mum's copy of this a few years ago, and refer back to it all the time, and will be buying her a new edition to replace the one I took! No kitchen is complete without it. It may not have fancy, obscure recipes, or little notes from the writers, but it's a no-nonsense compendium of tried and tested lovely lovely food!

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children)
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 12 May 2003
My dad had been trying for almost 10 years to get me to read the Earth's Children series. I finally picked it up at Christmas, and now, 5 months later, I have just started the fourth book - and that's even with my job and my university studies!!
This is an incredible series that grasps you right from the start and sucks you into the prehistoric world, and never lets you go. The Clan of the Cave Bear sets the standards which the following instalments live up to, describing in such detail every action and motive behind the characters lives.
It's easy to see just how much research was involved, and it makes you truly believe that this was how things once were. Whereas other books try to incorporate as much detail and simply succeed in boring you to tears, this series is so well written that it holds your attention, and, for me at least, I never want to stop reading, because I can't wait to see what happens to Ayla. She's such a strong character, one with which I'm sure many people can identify with.
I've told everyone I know about the Earth's Children series so that they too can enter the world of prehistoric man. Incredible. Breath taking. Brilliant.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2008 10:45 AM BST