Profile for PK > Reviews

A Handful of Summers
A Handful of Summers
by Peter Ustinov

3.0 out of 5 stars Misty, very enjoyable, sporting autobiography, 21 April 2013
This review is from: A Handful of Summers (Hardcover)
This was a delightful read, describing tennis in the dying gasps of the amateur arena but more importantly the lovely life of the gifted young of any age, unspoiled by money. Not overly detailed about tennis, but enough for the buff, not a hint of politics outside some sporting competition considerations.

Let's Put the Future Behind Us
Let's Put the Future Behind Us
by Jack Womack

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romp, 21 April 2013
Well, truth is stranger than fiction. An exciting description of the new Russia before the Oligarchs took over the government completely. Dark, comical farce that I had trouble putting down, not high literature at all but well told. As some books can do I felt in the scenes, I was in the room, I could see the furniture and the faces of the people. Not read anything like it before or since and I do not regret a single page of it.

The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal (P.S.)
The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal (P.S.)
by Jared Diamond

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling story, 21 April 2013
He writes well, I first read Guns Germs and Steel, then Collapse before feeling that I ought to see where he started in books. Great description of mammalian nature and how it applies to us and our troubles. Not a problem to read his works out of order but he does expand on issues in this book, in his later books. If I had my time again I would read them more in order.

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
by Ray Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Corker, 21 April 2013
I am fan of using as few words as possible to say what you want as possible and here is conveyed the balance of the individual, against the government within complex society, and that since time began, in as punchy a form as possible. Great pacy story, echoes of the recent past and a view into our current times too.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Christopher

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice angle, 21 April 2013
Driften through a short phase of apocalypse fiction and this is a belter in the genre. I don't particularly associate with any of the characters but the situation they are in really chimes at times. There's lovely ecological, human nature, apocalypse, political themes in it that I like and he makes quite a nice stab as describing the countryside too. I would not count it amongst the good stand alone novels but it is still in print and in apocalypse fiction it is an almost must read.

A Month in the Country (Penguin Modern Classics)
A Month in the Country (Penguin Modern Classics)
by J. Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Pithy and beautiful, 21 April 2013
Short and not a word wasted. Deft description of the countryside from before industrialisation. A touch like Orwell in how much can be conveyed in so few words with a most delicate description of love as there is - to my mind. Brill.

Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
by Duncan Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Tender, 21 April 2013
He was quite a man, a remarkable footballer and mercurial almost mythical football manager and this does manage to convey the scope of that man. Very fondly written, pulls no punches though, and there are punches, it is perhaps as good a description of sporting greatness and individual genius as one could read from when football changed from a game to an industry. I like sporting biographies, not really much of a football fan, happy reading about the Tour de France, cricket or tennis rather than football but here is my exception so far and I do not regret a moment of it.

Master and Commander
Master and Commander
by Patrick O'Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars What a start, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Master and Commander (Paperback)
I came to the series knowing nothing apart from the film; I wish I hadn't seen the film as - wonderful as it is - I am stuck with Peter Wier's characters rather than Patrick O'Brian's and he writes a magnificent book. It is just a hint of a slow starter and then boom, you are in, and (I was) hooked. The first of a 21 book series that I knew by about page 30 I would want to read the whole lot, probably more than once - the lady who put me on to them was on her fourth reading of the series when she bought me this. I am so grateful, I like a touch of pure history, like a touch of military history, don't mind fiction or swashbuckling, it has all this in droves with such an attention to detail, social but particularly naval that I feel like I am on the boat when I read it. If I can recommend something to you, with 5.01 stars this is it.

LEGO DUPLO 5507: Deluxe Brick Box
LEGO DUPLO 5507: Deluxe Brick Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the nippers, 21 April 2013
Faultless, plenty of colour, shapes and scope for independent faffing about. Of course it's Duplo but the box and the lid are made of sturdy plastic; we are now 2 years down the line with it and it is still in perfect shape, there is space in the box if you get quite a bit more Duplo.

The Plot Against America
The Plot Against America
by Philip Roth

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 21 April 2013
I like a bit of alternate history and here we have that alternate woven though the life of one family. All nicely internally consistent, many references to the figures in the alternate past who we all know and frankly just on the right side of believable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3