Profile for Steven K > Reviews

Content by Steven K

Steven K (Dublin, Ireland)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best game ever made..., 28 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
90hrs of Skyrim later and ive finally got round to writing a short review. I dont know how much it will add to whatever anyone else has to say but there we go.

I'll start by explaining that I only bought Skyrim because my delivery of BF3 had been delayed. I had ZERO expectations really, and was therefore really quite shocked with the effect it has had on me. From the opening sequence the game delivers... And just keeps on giving. Its THE most immersive, addictive, beautiful and most carefully made game ive ever had the happy experience to play - and ive been PC gaming since 1990. Bethesda have really created something very very special here, and with a size on disk of 8gb its an incredible achievement.

So far i have played on only 1 character, a warrior class with 2Hand weapon. I still have miles and miles to go before completing the main quests, there are still huge tracts of land I havent uncovered yet. The game is vast, and totally engrossing.

Playing Skyrim gives me a delicious warm feeling in my soul. For that I thank Bethesda from the bottom of my heart.

Technical:
Im playing on a high end PC with nVidia GTX 580 GPU. Other than a few CTD i have had no problems. Before i got the 580 i had an ATI 4850 - it ran fine on that too. Good job Bethesda.

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 42.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor to the mighty BF2, 16 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I didnt play BC2, so this is my first BF experience since BF2 and as we all know that was epic. I had some reservations that DICE wouldnt be able to match the gameplay aspects of BF2 in BF3 and instead go more down the visual effects blah blah line. Luckily it appears they got it spot on - in multiplayer at least

Firstly - Origin & Battlelog. Cant admit the EULA scared me enough to put me off the game, and frankly they could have written pretty much any old crap in there - i still would have played it. I suspect that most of the 1-star reviewers here have got off their high horses after their oh-so-righteous reviews and are in fact playing BF3 now like everyone else (except the COD guys which is fine by me).I had no problems on install (although i didnt get the game until a week after release), setup was very straightforward. I also have grown to like the Battlelog interface after some initial doubts. The social media style of it works pretty well IMO, and inviting yer mates into servers is good - especially the bit where you automatically get put on the same team (remember the suicide-a-thon in BF2 as you tried to get in the same team?).

Single Player - well, its pretty crap have to admit. Highly linear and boring. I havent completed it yet and dont think i will. That doesnt matter though, it was never what this game was about.

Co-Op - had some fun playing this actually, and the unlocks available make it worthwhile. Some annoying parts, especially in the last mission on hard but overall pretty good. Looking forward to future missions.

Multiplayer - Its GOT IT! it has, the BF feel is well and truley there. Especially on the large, 64 player maps, its a complete and wonderfully immersive experience. The quality of the sound with gunfire, vehicles, jets and helis all over the place is just incredible. I upgraded especially and can run this in Ultra and it looks brilliant, and is sooooooo smooth. I think the maps are pretty good, some better than others - but the return of Karkand maps will be nice, good that they are delaying them until Dec or else nobody would be playing the new ones. Ive got a long long way to go until max level and all unlocks, but BF3 gets max points from me. Playing with friends over VOIP and BF3 is the complete package - i know this due to the "not being able to get to sleep for an hour after logging off" feeling.

Battlefield 2: Special Forces (PC DVD)
Battlefield 2: Special Forces (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough whinging, this game ROCKS!, 3 Oct 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok ok ok, ive had enough of this... Most of the <5 star reviews on Amazon for BF2 vanilla, SF etc are because people have had some sort of problem either installing it or running it or learning to play it. It seems to me that their reviews are not based on gameplay or experience in-game, rather a manifestation of their frustration because this game deserves nothing less than 5 stars.

Simply put, BF2 and its addons are the best online FPS around despite being over 2 years old. The fact that so many people still play a game that is 2 years old, and the fact that it STILL looks great and feels cutting edge speak volumes. No other game I have played comes close to the intense total immersion adreneline rush I get whilst playing BF2 -it is simply fab. I have experienced so many "wow" moments playing this that I carry with me cherished memories of battles that I enjoy reliving in my head in moments of boredom.

But now to address some of the whinges and moans people have...

1: "BF2 is buggy and full of glitches"
- BF2 has had its fair share of bugs that is true. EA have come under a lot of criticism from the community for their support. There have been numerous glitches & exploits that players have used. However, the latest patch 1.4 has resolved a lot of those and in my opinion considering this game is FREE (no 8.99 a month subs like WoW) it is pretty damn good.

2: "BF2 runs crap on my machine"
- BF2 runs fine on mine! OK, ive got a good system (2.8GB Dual Core Intel, 2 x Nvidia 1950GTX SLI graphics, 2GB ram) which does help. But simple housekeeping like keeping your PC clean, up to date, de-fragged etc makes a huge difference as well. PC's aren't consoles. They need looking after and some money spending on them - but its worth the investment

3: "It's too hard and I keep getting killed by players who MUST be cheating"
- The learning curve for BF2 is steep, no doubt about it. I died over and over and over again for the first year i guess. Then you start to learn the game, improve and soon you are revelling in your ability to face the best of the opposition. As for the cheating, I think there is far far less cheating in BF2 than some other games. In fact I cant honestly say ive faced a player who is DEFINATELY cheating in over 600hrs of time played.

4: "Stats recording ruins the game"
- WRONG. Stats recording MAKES this game. Websites such as [...] allow you to track your stats, and your improvements, awards & unlocks etc. The stats in my opinion separate this game from other FPS games and put it in a different league. For those who dont like stats try Unranked servers or one of the many Mods (Project Reality, PoE2 etc).

5: "The online BF2 community is childish & arrogant"
- again I disagree. All online communities have their fair share of idiots, just try reading the chat channels in WoW for a few hours and you will see what I mean. generally BF2 is populated by people who want to work together, have fun, and make friends. 90% of players are willing to help new players, give advice and so on.

OH YEAH, nearly forgot. BF2 Special Forces is the place I chose for this review because it is in my opinion the BEST addon to the BEST FPS there is..

So my message to all the complainers - Look after your PC, learn to play and appreciate the precious gift from DICE/EA that is this fabulous, fabulous game.

The Province Complains
The Province Complains
Price: 10.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable, fabulous, cracking debut, 11 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Province Complains (Audio CD)
I'm so glad this album is finally being released in the UK, you are in for a treat.. Until recently "Finlands #1 unsigned band" have made a debut album which is up there with "Wincing the night away" by The Shins as my album of 2007 (so far).

I have to admit that I came across ths album on a <cough>bittorrent<cough> and was blown away. Of course I have since promised myself to buy this album as soon as it is available here:)

Imagine the best bits of The Smiths - slightly more upbeat - with a great contemporary indiepop vibe and youre sort of getting close. That's not to say they are a clone of the Smiths at all, they have their own unique sound. The lead singer Mattias Björkas has one of the best voices I have heard for a long time - I hope they do well. Check out their myspace and have a listen to "The sharp end of the season" and "The smell of an artist", two of the highlights of the album for me.

But above all give them a try, one of the finest indie albums for quite some time.

The Cost
The Cost
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cost of being unknown outside Ireland, 16 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Cost (Audio CD)
Another bloody good Frames album, in the vein of Burn The Maps.

Read on if you want more...

I guess I am a rare breed, a Frames fan who does not come from Ireland. Admittedly I have "Irish Connections", and that is how i first got to hear The Frames. I have always been tormented by the fact that The Frames are so unknown in the UK - surely they deserved more than that!

I went through a long period of obsessive fan-dom leading up to the release of Burn The Maps. I was certain BTM would finally give the band the recognition they finally deserved in the UK. Predictably this didnt happen. I eventually ended up drifting away from The Frames, my albums overplayed, too many gigs attended, my friends bored sick of me trying to convert them.

Then comes The Cost. And with it a revelation. The band obviously make their albums very much for themselves. No stadium rock anthems on this album, no instant radio hits. And you know what? Good on them. This is an intensley personal album, Glen Hansard sounds like he's been having a tough time since BTM in his personal life. This comes across very clearly in The Cost. Thats not to say the album is depressing, yet again its full of beautiful songs, with a realistic yet uplifting vibe to it.

Now im back listening to the Frames, but now im doing it for myself and enjoying their music once again. If youre a fan you will LOVE this album, like all the others.

And for those who have never heard of The Frames, its your loss - honestly, it really is. But i will not be prosletysing to all and sundry any more.

Sam's Town
Sam's Town
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam's Town - Hot Fuss it aint, 7 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
Not often i feel compelled to review an album on Amazon, but after 6 days of owning Sams Town thought i should share my opinion of this fine album with you all.

Firstly, The Killers set themselves a horrendously high benchmark with Hot Fuss - one of the best debut albums any band has produced. How could they follow that?

And I have to admit that after my first listen of Sams Town, I was dissapointed. Sams Town still sounded like the Killers but didnt seem to have the initial "wow" factor that Hot Fuss had. On reflection and several plays later i can see that I was expecting another Hot Fuss, and when i didnt get it didnt know how to react.

Thank god its not another Hot Fuss - Sams Town is quite simply BETTER then the debut album. Its a FANTASTIC album that gets better and better with literally every play.

The Killers have matured, done their own thing and produced a beatiful, elegant album of melodic, soaring and frankly jaw dropping songs. There isnt a weak song on the album (despite what you may think on the first listen), they all kick a*s. Some are destined to be classics, all have stolen my heart.

What an accomplishment - well done to the guys, and thanks for making me one very, very happy Killers fan.

I cant give this anything other than 5/5. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
by Allen Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Method - but BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 2 Oct 2003
I read Allens book in Jan 03. It worked and I felt wonderful - until, one sorry day in April I started smoking again. Once I was over the "honeymoon" period i guess I started to get blase, and before I knew it I was back on the fags.
As you can imagine, I feel very stupid and dissapointed. I am now giving ONLYWAY a go - as reading EASYWAY after having failed is impossible for me.
So, although I cant fault Allens method, BEWARE.
DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DROP!!!!
Even after you think you are free, there are still pitfalls. I broke Allens No. 1 rule - "Just one Puff". Dont make the same mistake as me!