Profile for S. C. Pearkes > Reviews

Content by S. C. Pearkes

S. C. Pearkes (Devon, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Adva Print 50g 3d Expanding Puff Binder
Adva Print 50g 3d Expanding Puff Binder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, very small quantity, 17 July 2014
Great material for mixed media art, creating a soft, flexible, rubbery, raised texture when you heat it. I haven't given this 5 stars because I was disappointed at the quantity I received. The pot was a lot smaller than expected, and it was only half full!

4 x Portable Dehumidifying Egg Dehumidifier Absorbs Moisture Air Damp Reusable
4 x Portable Dehumidifying Egg Dehumidifier Absorbs Moisture Air Damp Reusable
Offered by E Bargains UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but watch out when microwaving, 22 Jan. 2014
These eggs work very well. I have a large fitted wardrobe backing onto an outside wall in an old house and was experiencing condensation and mildew problems. The eggs are drawing moisture out of the air very well. I was able to reconstitute them in our kitchen microwave - as others have said, the instructions are somewhat inadequate, but I found that 6 minutes on 50% power worked well. However, I decided to try using the small microwave in my studio to save carrying them downstairs each time, and medium power on this brand new microwave proved far too hot - the granules were going off like pop corn and breaking into small pieces, and the microwave-safe cup I supported the egg on broke, tipping the egg over and distributing granules all over my microwave! I have tried 5 minutes on the low setting, and this seems to work fine. So I would warn anyone to try a low setting first, and if that isn't hot enough, work up - not all microwaves are the same, and it's a question of trial and error to start with.

I do think the manufacturers should improve their instructions and make it absolutely clear how to reconstitute these eggs, warning people of the danger of overheating. My cup cracked and broke all the way around at the mid-point, but it could well have broken in a more dangerous, uncontrolled fashion, and the egg itself could have cracked when it fell. It was also extremely hot when I took it out.

With this caveat, I would recommend this product 100% - it uses no power (except for microwaving to reconstitute), is compact, efficient, re-usable and not unattractive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 10:24 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish but awful to fit, 11 Oct. 2013
I have ordered several of these for my new bathroom and the stylish lines of these grab rails co-ordinate beautifully with the modern look of the bathroom. However, this is a good example of "style over function" - they are an absolute pain to fit and present a problem afterwards that needs addressing. The circular chrome covers which hide the fixing screws will not pass around the angle of the rail, and get in the way when trying to do up the screws. The hex-head screws come with a supplied Allen key for tightening, but because the covers get in the way, the maximum turn you can achieve is a half- or three-quarter turn, before you have to re-insert the Allen key. It is quite impossible to tighten the screws with a power tool. This is an extremely laborious, fiddly and time consuming process leading to severe frustration, especially as there are six screws for each rail! After the rail is fitted, the covers have to be pushed over the attachment, and however hard you push them, they pop off again. The only solution in the end was to attach them with a strong, very quick drying adhesive, which of course means they cannot be removed, should you want to remove the grab rails in the future.

These two major design faults spoil what should be an excellent product. Once they are attached they are strong, stylish and practical, but what a hair-tearing experience to get there!

I think it is a great shame that designers and manufacturers do not test their products before launching them on the marketplace.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2014 10:32 PM GMT

Putnams The New Amazing Comfort Inflatable Window Sleep Pillow
Putnams The New Amazing Comfort Inflatable Window Sleep Pillow

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable!, 24 Mar. 2013
This is the second one of these that I have bought. My old one finally sprung a tiny leak after several years' constant use as a passenger in the car. I do not use it in the way one is supposed to, using the suction cap to attach it to the car window, as I found this to be extremely uncomfortable, but the triangular shape fills the hollow between the head-restraint and the back of the seat, and when I recline the seat a little, this gives my head and neck exactly the right amount of support and comfort that I need, especially if I do not fully inflate the pillow. Suffering from muscle weakness and rapid fatigability, reclining in this fashion reduces the energy needed to maintain a constant posture against the motion of the car. In its semi-inflated state, it fits neatly in the parcel shelf above the windscreen in our Renault Kangoo when not in use. I would not travel in the car without it.

Fauré / Duruflé - Requiems
Fauré / Duruflé - Requiems

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best recordings, 24 Mar. 2013
I spent a long time trawling through all the available recordings of the Faure Requiem on Amazon, listening to the samples, and each one seemed to have one or more features that left me cold. When I found this one, however, I found the quality and interpretation to be first class and something "clicked" and I knew this was the one. The purity of the vocal line, the recording balance, and the quality of solo singing and orchestral playing, all came together to make this a profoundly moving experience. Better still, it was teamed with the Durufle which is another favourite work in this genre. I have no hesitation in giving it 5 stars. Sublime.

Papers Shapers Medium Nesting Punch-Circle .75"
Papers Shapers Medium Nesting Punch-Circle .75"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great punch, 27 Dec. 2012
Hard to find in the UK, this 3/4" punch was just what I needed to fill a gap in the range of small circle punches I own. It took a while to arrive as it came from the USA, but well worth waiting for - it's neat, small and powerful and does just what I want it to do.

400ml Crystal Clear Matt
400ml Crystal Clear Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff - does what it says on the tin., 25 Nov. 2012
Works extremely well to seal the surface of art work when you want to add further layers without disturbing what is underneath. Here's an example of how I used it:

[...]

Only one problem with it - it stinks! Using only a small amount, the smell soon filled the house! If you can put up with that, I'd say go for it.

Silverline 868815 Corded and Cordless Glue Gun, 230 V, 23(80)W
Silverline 868815 Corded and Cordless Glue Gun, 230 V, 23(80)W
Offered by Hot UK Stuff

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this glue gun, 15 Aug. 2012
I have just bought one of these glue guns (not from Amazon) and it is going straight back. For starters, it heated up OK when the cable was plugged directly into the glue gun, but not when plugged into the cradle - I discovered one of the holes in the socket in the cradle into which the gun fitted was blocked with plastic which had to be scraped out, after which it heated up OK. However, as soon as the glue was hot, it started dribblng out of the nozzle and did not stop! I wasted quite a lot of glue this way, and it made quite a mess.

Also, the ends of the fold-out metal stand had to be pulled forcibly apart (requiring considerable strength!) before it could be attached to the gun.

The idea of a glue gun that can be used both cordlessly and plugged in directly is a good one, but this is such a badly made gun that the good idea is a waste of time. I would give it no stars if possible.

This glue gun is not fit for purpose. Do not buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 11:05 PM GMT

Bach, J.S.: St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244
Bach, J.S.: St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Production!, 22 Dec. 2011
John Eliot Gardiner may have taken the first movement a little fast, but that is a small niggle compared with what I consider to be a superb performance throughout. I love the clarity and precision of the Montiverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists - I have several recordings of theirs and have never been disappointed. I found the whole performance deeply moving and it brings back many happy memories of singing this work over the years with a local choir. I agree with "A Customer" who said "Why wait to hear this music played in Heaven?" Sublime.

Ex-Pro® SD 16GB SDHC Class 10 Ultra Fast Secure Digital Memory Card for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3, DMC-FX07, DMC-FX10, DMC-FX12, DMC-FX30, DMC-FX33, DMC-FX35, DMC-FX36, DMC-FX37, DMC-FX38, DMC-FX40, DMC-FX48, DMC-FX50, DMC-FX55, DMC-FX60, DMC-FX65, DMC-FX66, DMC-FX70, DMC-FX75, DMC-FX77, DMC-FX78, DMC-FX100, DMC-FX150, DMC-FX180, DMC-FX500, DMC-FX520, DMC-FX550, DMC-FX580, DMC-FX700, DMC-FZ8, DMC-F
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card for my camera, 5 Nov. 2011
A large-capacity SD card for my Panasonic Lumix digital camera which enables me not only to take plenty of photos at high resolution, but video as well. I was also extremely impressed with the supplier - I had some problems with the camera not recognising the card initially (the card reader inside the camera was damaged when I had problems removing a previous card, which I didn't at first realise) and the quality of their correspondence with me over this was second to none, especially as the problem was not with the card they had supplied. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3