Profile for Judika > Reviews

The Moors Murders: The Trial of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady
The Moors Murders: The Trial of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady
by Jonathan Goodman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 17 Aug 2013
I am very interested in the Moors Murders. I was born in Ashton and lived in both Ashton and Stalybridge. I was 7 when Pauline Reade was murdered so maybe this is why I have an interest in it.

Anyway, I had read almost every book ever written on the subject, then I came across this. I must say it opened my mind to many details of the case. I never thought I would have any changes of opinion of any of it, but this book changed that.

If you are interested in Brady and/or Hindley then I would say this book is a must.

Matilda
Matilda
by Roald Dahl
Price: 5.81

1.0 out of 5 stars IN WELSH!!!, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Matilda (Paperback)
I, like many of these other reviewers, bought this book not realising it is in Welsh.

I bought it for my God-daughter to take on holiday. Poor little girl got to her destination, opened her new book, and couldn't read any of it!

Please, please Amazon make it much clearer if a book is in a foreign language.

Apartment 16
Apartment 16
by Adam Nevill

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither scary nor interesting, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Apartment 16 (Paperback)
Like other reviewers, I was looking for a good horror book and, despite some negative reviews, decided to read it. I really should have gone with my gut instinct and not bothered. This book is not interesting, not engaging and certainly not scary.

I would say that from only a couple of chapters in it was totally obvious what was going to happen. I kept plodding on hoping I was wrong - but no, the predictable really did happen.

I really didn't like any of the characters but I think this could be because they weren't engaging or 'real' enough. There was no depth to any of the book.

I read a book very quickly but this book took me ages because I just kept putting it down and not bothering.

All in all I felt cheated of my good horror story!

Ghost Stories: v. 1 (BBC Audio)
Ghost Stories: v. 1 (BBC Audio)
by M. R. James
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Not-So' Ghost Stories, 8 Jun 2012
I love a good ghost story and so I bought this in the hope of being scared on a dark winter's night. Scared? I wasn't even entertained. There is absolutely NOTHING even remotely scary about any of these ghost stories. If you too like scary ghost stories, then don't waste your money on this.

Crooked House [DVD]
Crooked House [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Ingleby
Price: 6.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Scary, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Crooked House [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this when it was first on television and thought it good, but not brilliant. However, on watching it a second time I realised how well-written it is. It isn't a full-on horror story but it does build up nicely and moves at a good pace. It consists of three short stories. The first one, in my opinion, is the least scary. It is also the least relevant to the full story. They could have made the first story better, or dropped it altogether. However, this doesn't detract from the fact that it is still worth buying for the last two and the ending.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 1:55 PM BST