Profile for Magnus Carlström > Reviews

Content by Magnus Carlström

Magnus Carlström (Oslo, Norway)

Stalker [DVD]
Stalker [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anatoli Solonitsyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Time's on Tarkovsky's side!, 10 Nov 2002
This review is from: Stalker [DVD] (DVD)
Stalker is without doubt a true masterpiece. First and foremost, not because of Tarkovsky's ability to make any part of the movie a good still picture, that would fit in an art gallery; and not because of the light he sets, which have other directors and photographers bewildered today; but because he actually makes the time work in the movie. The story in the movie can't stretch much further than 24 hours, but yet, it feels like an eternity. Compare this with Lord of the Rings, which is supposed to be an eternity, but it doesn't feel lke like their wandering about for more than 24 hours until they reach their destinations, it's quite extraordinary. Tarkovsky is alongside Bergman without doubt the World's best directors. Because to capture time on film is so close to impossible, that no Hollywood director has ever been able to do that.
But hey, who cares about time. There are more to this film than only time. If it wasn's the audiences would simply wait for the movie to end.
We follow Stalker on his trip to the Zone, to show his two "tourists" the inner sanctum, where their wishes will come true. Wether this Zone is a radioactive site because of meteorstorms, nuclear meltdowns or whatever, was something I never figured out, but is also something that is never important. Back to my issue with time, the important thing is that the whole time-perspective in this one, drags the audience into the film, and it actually feels like being on that trip with Stalker and the people he guides. And I say this without ever having watched this on cinema, only at home. And whenever the characters are scared of something behind them or whatnot, I caught myself looking behind me more than once. Even Blair Witch at 4AM after three horror movies previously, couldn't give me half of that sense of something wrong, that Stalker gives me.
So if you like wathing good pictures, pause this movie whenever yo want, and you got a good picture, if you like watching good movies, or simply like being scared out of your pants much more than any American horror flick can, watch this. And if you want to see how time should show in a film, watch this. It's absolutely fantastic.

V for Vendetta
V for Vendetta
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect comic book?, 3 Nov 2002
This review is from: V for Vendetta (Paperback)
I tend to listen to friends advice very often, and I also happen to like being generous when I by them Christmas presents. So a friend of mine talked alot about how much he wanted to read From Hell by Moore. So I bought it as a Christmas present for him, mostly because I wanted to read it myself. And we both liked it. Later, I owed the same guy some money, and after listening to him muttering that V for Vendetta might just be even more brilliant, I bought it to him too. And it was awesome. I have always been a little scared of superhero books, and I never really liked Batman or Punisher very much. But this was beyond great. The hero is so extremely complex and sophisticated, that any comparison to the more famous superheroes is impossible. And the setting is really one of the best grim futures I've encountered in any literature or movie.
Set in London in some future, the world has been torn apart by some great war, and several continents are wiped out. England has prevailed. And now she is being controlled by a totalitarean (is that a word) and facsist government, who seem to put her future in the hands of the all knowing computer Fate. Anyone who strays from the ideals and looks the government want, are arrested and taken to camps. In this future, music, art and literature is forbidden, unless it is approved by the government, and not much is. In the middle of this we follow Eve, a young girl lost in the city and drawn to prostitution to survive, and her mysterious captor/savior V, a terrorist and visionary, who tries to turn England back to what it were before the war.
If you like Neil Gaiman or Garth Ennis, you'll love V for Vendetta, also if you like any story about dark futures, like George Orwell's 1984 (well that's more a dark past).
Now I really look forward to buying "The Watchmen" and "Swamp Thing". Guess my friend is too.

The Sacrifice [DVD]
The Sacrifice [DVD]
Dvd ~ Erland Josephson

5.0 out of 5 stars Surreal - yet so real it scares you!!, 2 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Sacrifice [DVD] (DVD)
This is maybe not Tarkovsky's magnum opus, but it still deserves five stars, because it is such a great film. Dedicating it to his son, Tarkovsky was diagnosed with cancer during the production, and it shows that this is his final opus.
It is filmed by the world's greatest film photographer ever, Sven Nyqvist, most famous for his work in Bergmans films. And the filming, lighting, scenography and uneasy, almost frightening mood created by these are truly excellent (especially the final scene).
Swedish Actor Erland Josephson plays Alexander, a journalist who has moved from the big city. He lives in his dream house with his family. Victor, a friend of the family and a doctor, and Otto the local mailman, and a very Nietzschean character, are there to celebrate Alexanders birthday. One of the maids, Julia, is also present. During the evening, terrible news of the outbreak of the third world war reach them.
The Sacrifice is really about self sacrifice in the interest of the community, and is therefore a film about Christian ideals as are his former film, Nostalghia.
Central in the film, and the original story (the apocalyptic scenario was added later) was a more pagan idea, which he called "the Witch".

Shadows And Fog [DVD] [1993]
Shadows And Fog [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Woody Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps among the greatest of films., 1 Nov 2002
This review is from: Shadows And Fog [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
This one is absolutely awesome. This movie is a must see for anybody who don't despise Woody Allen (either you love him or hate him, luckily I'm among those who love him) This film has such a great mood. The filming, the light, the scenography, in fact anything technical in this production is so perfect that you can sit back and be mesmerized by a very uneasy, yet hilarious plot. It is shot in black and white, which actually help the mood. Alot. This film would be nothing but any other comedy had it been shown in color. And the acting of people like John Malkowich, John Cusack, Woody Allen, Jodie Foster and Mia Farrow are so impressive that when the show is over, you can't help but feel alot better. Actually you can, about everything. When I watched this with my dad, we both were dead tired after a week of little sleep and hard work. But after this movie, we actually woke up, and stayed up for hours.
Trying not to reveal to much of the plot, I will say that it involves a strangler on the loose, and the complications Kleinman (Woody Allen) get's into when he is included in a group of vigilantes who's looking for the murderer, and about a circus performer (an incredibly cute Mia Farrow) and her problems when she runs away from the circus, and try to find her way in the city.
As I said unless you really has nothing but loathing for Woody Allen, you're actually doing yourself a real favor if you see this. It really is brilliant.
And for those out there who hate Allen and his films. What the heck is wrong with you?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2012 4:44 PM BST

Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Scott Glenn
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars its really just a very poor joke..., 22 Jun 2002
This review is from: Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
HAHAHA!!!hehehe... this movie... this action filled, breathtaking climbing experience of a movie. Is absolutely horrid. It is gut-wrenching in its own sickening way. My mom convinced me and my dad (who by the way happen to be a climber) to go see it. None of us wanted to, but she said we had to see before we judged it. Nope, we didn't. Every prejudice about this rubbish turned out to be fully justified. The whole cinema was filled with people more or less interested in mountaneering (we live in a small, closed society in the mountains, and with it's own mountaneering school) and throughout the movie we all laughed. It was ridiculous. Everything was absolutely ridiculous, from appauling acting the main characters managed gulp up, to the idiotic, pointless plot (who are retarded enough to carry nitroglycerin on a mountain), and maybe most of all, the very definition of bad special effects. My advice is to clear away from anything that has anything to do with Vertical Limit. Friends who tell you it was good aren't really good friends, stay clear of them too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2008 9:21 PM GMT

Jeepers Creepers [DVD] [2001]
Jeepers Creepers [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Gina Philips
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars shame to give it a star really..., 19 Jun 2002
i sat down at a friends place, to watch jeepers creepers. and during the first fifteen minutes, we had quite a good time. the whole atmosphere in the movie was actually quite good. but then things got worse. the baddie was looking and behaving quite stylish until he started jumping on cars and tearing off limbs. he simply turned into a typical wes cravenish cash-in bad guy, and from then on, the movie went steep downhills. and when (finally) the credits appeared, we sat there with the uneasy feeling of having wasted almost two hours of our already too short life on something completely rubbish.
worst of all, this movie had such potential, but it wasted it all on idiotic and unnecessary splatter scenes and quite frankly dysfunctional acting.
when are hollywood going to learn from brilliant movies like rosemarys baby and blair witch project that horror flicks are so much scarier if they are a bit more subtle and leaves a little more to the imagination.

The Magician [DVD]
The Magician [DVD]
Dvd ~ Max von Sydow
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Another example of Bergmans magic, 17 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Magician [DVD] (DVD)
Ingmar Bergmans the Magician is a very vell told tale of snake oil salesmen and travelling magicians. The style is quite clearly adapted from theater, and although there no Al Pacino-realism in the characters and acting, the style is quite powerful. The story is masterful, and of course, as in all Bergman's movies, the filming and lighting is awe-inspiring. The Tartan Video edition also contain special features like a trailer to the Tartan Video Bergman Collection, Bergmans notes on the feature, still shots, and filmographies of the director and the stars.
Although not as good as The Seventh Zeal, it is a great movie.

Dracula 2001 [DVD]
Dracula 2001 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by Jasuli

1.0 out of 5 stars brings the myth to shame!, 17 Feb 2002
This review is from: Dracula 2001 [DVD] (DVD)
this film is prpbably one of the poorest films i have ever seen. it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. the story is cr**, the acting is cr**, but most awful of all is the vampire himself, dracula. it is a poor attempt to copy valek from carpenter's vampires and he has absolutely no style at all. it is a crime againt bram stoker to use his monster in such a feeble waste of time. i thought it would be a laugh like some poor horror flicks are, but this was simply an insult.

Black & White
Black & White
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

3.0 out of 5 stars So excited before I tried it!, 25 Jun 2001
This review is from: Black & White (Video Game)
This game is the game I've been waiting for and drooling over for two years or so. And then when it's finished I jump with joy and can't wait to put the disc in my cd-rom. And the first day maybe, it was the best game in the world. Everything looked so great. That AI was so fantastic, and the mood in the game just made me want to sing a song. Then came day two, and three, and four. And the game got les and less exciting, because I was doing the same thing over and over again, and that creature started to remind me of that tamagochi thingy a few years ago. Even the AI started to disappoint me as the people in the town couldn't take care of anything on their own, and I had to fix everything. And I was sad. The one magical game turned out to be quite boring. I went into a depression that I can't get out of until Red Faction hits the PC market. But I give it three stars because I could teach my creature to kick rocks at sheep, and that was quite exciting.