Profile for Soul On Ice > Reviews

Bad Science
Bad Science
by Ben Goldacre
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - anyone who has an opinion about anything should read this, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Bad Science (Paperback)
One critical review of this book called the author "smug and self important." That's probably true but it does not detract from the fact the book is well written, funny and very informative. Goldacre eloquently describes how we are mislead by the media and quacks. He even shows how experts make mistakes. You do not need to be a scientist or mathematician to enjoy this book.

Read it and you will be amazed. And you will be rightly sceptical of anything you read.

Information is Beautiful
Information is Beautiful
by David McCandless

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book if you like data. Superb if you like good design, 4 Dec 2010
I'm a data nerd so I loved this book for the different data visualisations. My colleagues think I'm Weird for being a data junkie - but all of them have them have found the book interesting when I've shown it to them.

Older reviews mention the printing problems on some of the pages in the older editions. Don't worry about that as the new edition has fixed this.

Thoroughly recommended.

Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
by Jonathan G. Koomey
Price: 11.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy book for anyone using numbers regulalry, 4 Dec 2010
I am self confessed numbers junkie. And I like to present my work in the best possible way. This book not only gives useful hints on presentation it also gives some good tips on research methods; how to use and catalogue your data; different methods of analysis. The bibliography is also very good and I've followed up on several of the books recommended.

This book is not just for people who use numbers; it will be of use to anyone who produces detailed reports.

Only downside is the the bit on the internet is a bit dated - but that does not detract from it's usefulness.

If you've read any Edward Tufte or Stephen Few books then this is handy more user friendly companion.

How to Make an IMPACT: Influence, Inform and Impress with Your Reports, Presentations, Business Documents, Charts and Graphs: Influence, Inform and ... Business Documents (Financial Times Series)
by Jon Moon
Price: 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 13 Mar 2010
I read all the other reviews before I bought the book. They seemed almost without exception to think the book was great, so I bought the book.

The reviews were right.

Rather than repeat what they have said I suggest you read the other reviews but I can say it will change the way you present figures and text. Well written and easy to understand. Only thing I would say is that to implement some of these ideas you need to be reasonably proficient with Word / Excel (but not an expert).

Epson AcuLaser M1200 (A4) Mono Laser Printer (20ppm,600 dpi)
Epson AcuLaser M1200 (A4) Mono Laser Printer (20ppm,600 dpi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for home use and seems ok to me, 13 Mar 2010
I was getting fed up of the rubbish and unreliable output from my ink-jet so I thought I'd go for a laser now they are so cheap. I had a look around and this seemed to be the one of the cheapest ones that had decent reviews.

The good - It was a breeze to set up. Print quality is fine for my use which is mainly text and the odd bit of graphics. It's not as good as the printer as work but this printer is hundreds of pounds cheaper and the quality is way good enough. Speed is decent enough - it's not as fast as the quoted speeds but printers never are. But it is fast enough and loads faster than my ink-jet.

The bad - There is a bit of a smell of ozone (or whatever the gas is). It is not terrible but it is noticeable. It comes with a 900 page toner cartridge and if you look around replacement cartridges for a 1800 page cartridge are about 55 - which is about the same as the printer with the 900 page cartridge! As with razors, manufacturers aim to fleece you on the consumables.

Summary - from my research it was the best laser for less than 60 quid and overall after a week's reasonable use of it I am more than happy with it. It only gets four stars cos of the smell and high cost of toner cartridges.

TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
Offered by TECKNET
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought two, 13 Mar 2010
I've bought numerous different transmitters over the years and this is by far teh best - and it is very cheap.

The sound quality is better than my Giffin and Belkin, both of which broke.

Is good to use in the car or around the house. Is good cos you can hook it up to cig lighter or power socket and it charges your iPhone too.

Was so good I bought a second one to use around the house as well as in the car.

Recommended.

Pure Comfort LC Sleeping Mask / Eye Mask with Free Sleep CD
Pure Comfort LC Sleeping Mask / Eye Mask with Free Sleep CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but very high quality, 13 Mar 2010
I've used a lot of these eye masks and this is by far the best. It is made from heavy duty, thick material. The elastic is thick and looks like it will last a long time. You can't see it on the photo but there is ridge of material on the lower part that helps to seal the mask to your face. It is is pricey but in my view worth the money.

MaxiNutrition formerly Maximuscle Cyclone 60 g Chocolate Strength and Power Bars - Box of 12
Offered by Pure Source Nutrition
Price: 16.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastes awful, 3 Sep 2009
I have generally used Maximuscle Promax Meal Bar - Chocolate, which to be honest taste very nice. I thought I'd go for the Cyclone cos it's got creatine and glutamine in it and it's about the same price.

Big mistake!

They taste awful and I've still got a box of another 11 to get through - urggh. I will not be buying these again. Stick with the Maximuscle Promax Meal Bar - Chocolate flavour it tastes way better

MaxiNutrition formerly Maximuscle Promax 60 g Chocolate Recover and Rebuild Bars - Box of 12
Offered by Discount Supplements
Price: 19.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 18 April 2009
I've tried various protein bars and most are pretty horrible.I like chocolate and this one tastes nice enough with a pleasant chewy texture. Also the calorie count on it is not too high so you can use it as a protein boost without worrying about the calories. Is a bit pricey but I eat them only when I can't get a decent protein source easily.

Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones
Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 20 Dec 2008
As someone else has said headphones and sporting activity tend not to be good bedfellows as headphones tend to break very easily and not fit properly in your ears.

I've had these for nearly a year and use them nearly every day either on my bike, running or in the gym. They are only now beginning to show a few signs of wear - and given the hammering they've had I would have to say this is excellent.

I'm a DJ and I'm quite particular about wanting headphones to sound at least half decent. Sennheiser make top quality headphones suitable for DJs and professional broadcast use - I won a pair of HD25s for DJing. These headphones are obviously not as good as my proper DJ pair but the sound quality across the frequency range is excellent - I doubt you will get better sound from any headphones under 30 quid.

The fit is great. The band makes sure the phones stay in your ear no matter how vigorous your activity or no matter how sweaty your ears get.

Only slightly strange thing is the band across the back of your head feels weird for the first few times you wear them. But after 4-6 times of wearing them you don't notice the band at all. This slight initial quirk should not put you off buying them.

Eventually I expect my headphones to wear out cos I do give them a hammering. I will definitely be getting another pair.

Page: 1 | 2