Profile for Christopher White > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband  - Black, Large
Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband - Black, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good activity tracker, 4 July 2015
I love this activity tracker. I've been slowly getting more into fitness in the last year or so to improve my health, and while I did do well by losing a lot of weight and gaining some muscle, I felt like the motivation was slipping away.

This device has completely refueled the drive to be fitter for me. Being able to log detailed metrics such as steps taken, heart rate, distance walked and others has given me back the motivation to do better, because I have concrete history tracking to compare to. There's no more subconsciously thinking "oh but I did x today so I can eat y". Now I look at my fitbit, it tells me *exactly* what I did and what I can afford to eat, and I can't argue with it. It helps me stay on track to my goals.

That being said, it seems to slightly over count steps taken compared to my phone. I'm not sure if it's the fitbit or the phone, but the fitbit is at least consistent. For example I can do the same walk twice and get consistent steps, so even if it is slightly inaccurate I can still use the figures to compare day by day.

It's also not great at counting floors climbed, but this is very difficult to get right and I've yet to find a fitness tracker that does this well. It seems to be a lot more accurate than my phone in this regard.

The fitbit app also includes a way of counting your calories and setting weight goals. I set a goal to lose X pounds, and it gave me the option of losing it fast, medium or slowly, each with a target weight loss each week, and a target calorie deficit each day. I've been logging my weight every week and it gives you a nice graph to show your weight over time.

The calorie logger lets you scan barcodes of products, which works well for the most part. About 60% of the food I eat seems to be in the barcode database, and whatever is in there has accurate nutritional information. I'm sure the database will grow over time to include more food. You can also search for foods by name, or manually log a number of calories. The app will show you if you're over or under budget for the day (based on your set weight loss goal), allowing you to make informed decisions about what you can eat.

The last important feature for me is the sleep tracker. It will detect when you're asleep and when you wake up, and give you a total number of hours that you slept. It will also give you a graph of how you slept, highlighting when you were awake or restless during the night. I often thought I got a solid 8 hours every night, but the fitbit has highlighted when I'm restless and I've managed to adjust my sleeping time to account for that and sleep better. You can also set alarms via the app that syncs to the fitbit, and it will gently wake you with vibrations on your wrist. I tend to set a backup alarm in case it doesn't wake me up, however.

All in all, I consider it worth every penny. I've only had it a few short weeks and my fitness has improved a lot. And it acts as a decent looking watch!

Kingston Technology 16GB USB 3.0 Mini Flash Drive - Ruby
Kingston Technology 16GB USB 3.0 Mini Flash Drive - Ruby
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel like it's too big though, 4 Dec. 2014
It's alright. I feel like it's too big though, sometimes I have to force it into USB ports and I feel like I'm going to break them every time. Not sure if it's the colour coating they have on the outside which makes it slightly too big or what.

Transfer speeds are also pretty good.

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex

5.0 out of 5 stars I installed this in my NAS as before I was using a crappy 10/100 NIC and my transfer speeds instantly went up ..., 4 Dec. 2014
Intel NICs are widely regarded as high quality, and this is no exception. I installed this in my NAS as before I was using a crappy 10/100 NIC and my transfer speeds instantly went up to gigabit. I've been throttling this little thing for weeks now and it's holding its own.

On top of that, these NICs are supported by almost everything, including FreeBSD for solutions like FreeNAS.

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic card for 1080p gaming, 4 Dec. 2014
Fantastic card for 1080p gaming, from one of the best manufacturers around. Even handles most 1440p games I through at it without problems.

Odaban Antipersiprant Spray 30ml
Odaban Antipersiprant Spray 30ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, 4 Dec. 2014
I used to sweat like crazy. I would step outside in mild warmth and get stinky, wet pits. When I went to the gym they used to have to put a bucket underneath me.

But no more. This stuff really works. I can go to the gym now for twice as long as usual and still have bone dry pits at the end of it.

When I started using it I applied it for 3 nights in a row, and now I apply it only a couple of times a week, if that.

You may be put off by the price however you really don't need a lot. One spray under each arm a couple times a week. This bottle will last me a long time and I won't hesitate to buy another.

KitVision 7 inch Digital Photo Frame with Built-In Stand, Supporting SD/MMC/MS Memory Cards - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible but I would recommend looking at other options, 4 Dec. 2014
For the price, I guess this is an okay photo frame. I'll go through some things that immediately let me down with this product:

- The screen is of low quality. It doesn't display colour particularly well and some of my photos look washed out. It also has a narrow viewing angle from the top, making photos look completely out of colour unless looked at from the front.
- The screen also had a stuck pixel. There's one pixel on the screen that is stuck at blue. Not a huge problem unless you have a dark photo, then you can see it. On light photos it's fine.
- No option to set the zoom level on individual photos. One of my photo's didn't take up the whole screen space so I zoomed in, thinking it would reset the zoom for the next photo. Nope. It also displays an annoying "X2" label in the bottom corner of the screen to indicate it's zoomed in.
- I don't see the point in the clear plastic surrounding the edges. I'd much refer that was taken off to give a slimmer bezel around the outside.

It's a good product for the price if you have the time and effort to properly crop/resize your photos before you put them on the machine. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere. Unfortunately all the decent photo frames can be very expensive :/
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2015 3:03 PM GMT

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at a great price., 30 Oct. 2014
Not as good sounding as the £50 pair they replaced but for the price they're the best sounding headphones I've used. Would recommend.

TP-LINK TL-PA2030KIT 200Mbps Powerline Adapter with 3 Ports - Twin Pack
TP-LINK TL-PA2030KIT 200Mbps Powerline Adapter with 3 Ports - Twin Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Good however not their advertised speed, 9 Oct. 2014
These adapters were plug and play. Within about 30 seconds they were up and running and talking to each other. Internet connectivity has been seamless since.

However, these adapters are not 200Mb/s. My computer (which has a 10/100/1000 ethernet port) connects to them at 100Mb/s.

Premium 1AMP (1000mAh) Micro USB Mains Wall Charger for Samsung Galaxy Range - 3 Pin UK Version - Extended 1.7 Metre Length (includes charging indicating light) Fits ACE 3/S/S2/S3/S3 Mini/S4/S4 Mini/S4 Active/Note/Note 2/Mega 6.3/Note 8.0/Nexus
Offered by Accessories Arena

4.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, not just for Samsungs, 6 Oct. 2014
Worth noting that this is NOT just for the Samsung range of phones. It's a micro-USB connector which means it will work on most Android phones. I have it working perfectly on my Nexus 4.

It's a 1AMP plug so is rated about the same as standard chargers, however I would still recommend you look at your phone specs to make sure this is in the acceptable range.

ShaniTech 4 Gang (4 x 13A Amp Sockets) Mains Extension Lead 5 Metre, White
ShaniTech 4 Gang (4 x 13A Amp Sockets) Mains Extension Lead 5 Metre, White
Offered by ShaniTech

4.0 out of 5 stars doesn't seem like it will fail any time soon, 6 Oct. 2014
Not much to say. Built well, doesn't seem like it will fail any time soon. I'm currently using all 4 plugs for a computer, monitor, printer and TV and there's been no problems so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5