Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James

Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Jerry Springer - The Opera [DVD] (2005)
Dvd ~ David Soul
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever story, 12 Jan 2014
I bought this DVD, among other reasons, to make a statement about freedom of speech. Having seen it, I think some other people are just making fools of themselves in their strident opposition. It's a clever story weaving in stereotypical "Jerry Springer" type guests with characters from the Old and New Testaments. I sat wondering which biblical character would next be brought on stage.

My only regret is that I did not see this live because it must have been quite riveting to experience in a theatre. Sadly, that atmosphere cannot really be replicated in your living room on a screen and that is why I am not awarding 5 stars. That is nobody's fault. I just hope that one day, this stage performance will be made into a proper film so that the director will not be constrained by performance on a single stage.

Live From The Ceilidh House
Live From The Ceilidh House

5.0 out of 5 stars Cèilidh music, 12 Jan 2014
The product arrived well wrapped very shortly after I ordered it, which impressed me greatly since I had ordered it over the Christmas period. If you like this sort of music, I doubt that this CD will not find favour with you. I bought it for the versions of "Teann a nall" and "Morag a Dunbheagan" which I had heard on Radio nan Gaidheal's "Sruth na Maoile" programme and thought they sounded quite "fresh". Now that I have the CD, I can listen to this beautiful singing as often as I like. You should play this CD at your own ceilidh.

Bulldog Snow Shovel
Bulldog Snow Shovel

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived quickly in September, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Bulldog Snow Shovel (DIY & Tools)
I've not been able to try out this item yet because I bought it in September to prepare myself for any snow this winter, so I can't really say how effective it it, however it looks good and sturdy and I was pleased that it arrived only a couple of days after I ordered it. It was very well wrapped and I am looking forward to trying it out when the snow comes. Given the solid shaft and handle, it looks worth the money to me.

The Inaccessible Pinnacle [DVD]
The Inaccessible Pinnacle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Seachd, 15 Feb 2011
We need more films like "Seachd" to develop a thriving, Gaelic film industry. There is a good selection of stories in the film, some funny, some sad, but there should probably be at least one story to suit everybody.

The Skye Bridge Story: Multi-national Interests and People Power
The Skye Bridge Story: Multi-national Interests and People Power
by Andy Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Skye Bridge Story, 15 Feb 2011
I sought background information about the bridge however, as other reviewers have stated, this book does not really describe the Skye Bridge story but instead outlines the battles against tolls imposed upon travellers crossing the bridge in its first few years. In spite of that "deception" the book does indeed tell a story that must be told and will be of interest to anyone involved in any form of civil protest with useful tips on how to stand up to bullying from the State or what to do if you are ever sent to prison for your beliefs. It was a wonderful bonus furthermore to discover on its arrival, that the book is bilingual; written in both Gaelic and English.

Blood of the Isles
Blood of the Isles
by Bryan Sykes

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood of the Isles, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
This interesting work is easily accessible to anybody who does not hold a detailed knowledge of genetics. Professor Sykes skillfully illustrates every chapter on each of the countries of the islands with a previous paragraph outlining some of the history of the nation.

Having grown up in a patriarchal society giving us surnames through our fathers, it changes our views of ourselves in highlighting the importance of the matriarchal line, which is just as much responsible for our existence as the father's.

Above all he successfully (to my mind) debunks theories of migration of whole peoples/linguistic groups through systematically challenging the taxonomy of peoples through blood groups, hair and eye colour, cranial measurements or other external features. When you get down to the DNA, such means of viewing people seem ridiculous.

For me it is very much a book of our time and the conclusion he makes about the origin of the nations of these islands in the last chapter made a lot of sense to me. (I won't tell you what he concludes - you'll have to read it).