Profile for Caroline G > Reviews

Caroline G (London)

Every Kingdom
Every Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime singer-songwriter, 19 May 2012
This review is from: Every Kingdom (Audio CD)
I heard Ben Howard on Jules Holland's "Later" and after just one song, I was so captivated, I went on to Amazon to order the album immediately. Emotional, thoughtful, sometimes gentle, sometimes bursting with energy, every track offers something different.

He's been described as a folk musician, but there is so much variety in the tracks, his songs don't fit neatly into any category. As another reviewer has said, there are echoes of Fleetwood Mac, though the singer he reminds me of most is Damian Rice. But his work isn't in any way derivative. If you want to be soothed, stimulated and moved by turns, buy this album. Within a couple of plays, you'll find the songs are lodged in your memory as if you'd known them forever.

The Bellwether Revivals
The Bellwether Revivals
by Benjamin Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great novel - promises so much but ultimately doesn't deliver, 19 May 2012
I found this book really gripping for the first half, and didn't think the characters were as unpleasant and unsympathetic as other reviewers found then. For example, Oscar, the outsider who is brought into the group of students, is shown going on visiting one of the old people he cared for in the home, long after the climax of the book.

But overall I expected it to develop into a much richer and more exciting plot. The story reminded me a bit of Ruth Rendell's "A Fatal Inversion", with the theme of a group of heedless young people heading towards tragedy, and I'd recommend the Rendell book, which I think is more tightly plotted. I wasn't convinced that the tragedy in this book was inevitable, the way I was with Rendell's story. There's no spoiler, by the way, in revealing that the story ends in death for several characters but not for Oscar - since the author spells this out in the very first paragraph of the book.

There are a lot of sub-plots, including, as other reviews have mentioned, the one with the characters of Dr. Paulsen and Herbert Crest. This is set up so that the reader expects some great revelation at the end, which shows how the various sub-plots and apparently minor characters have actually been entwined from the very beginning. This never happened. Right up to the final page I was expecting to learn about some vital part of the characters' pasts, and be dazzled by the way in which everyone's fates were intertwined. But I was to be disappointed, as things just fizzled out.

TP-Link TD-W8950ND 150MBPS Wireless Lite N ADSL2+ Modem Router
TP-Link TD-W8950ND 150MBPS Wireless Lite N ADSL2+ Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for technophobes, 25 Feb 2011
I can't praise this product highly enough! I put off going wireless for ages, relying on an increasingly temperamental and elderly modem supplied by my ISP many years ago. I thought there would be loads of settings to enter for a wireless router, and was worried I wouldn't understand them. This product is an absolute breeze! I was online with a wireless connection just minutes after unpacking it, there are lots of settings, but it does everything for you - all you need is your user ID and password from your ISP.

If you're like me, on the older side of middle-aged, fairly new to computers and not sure what going wireless will involve, don't hesitate to get this, it will make it soooo easy. Just one note, though, this is the product to get if you are replacing an old wired modem, as it includes a modem as well as a router.

Loving it!

Bodum Canteen Double Walled Thermo Glasses with Handles 2 x 6.5 oz
Bodum Canteen Double Walled Thermo Glasses with Handles 2 x 6.5 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes tea drinking a delight, 13 April 2010
These may seem a little pricey for mugs, but they make tea drinking a real pleasure. Cool to the touch, but keep the tea hot for ages. Visually they are a pleasure, too, the tea seems to "float" inside the glass. Compared with normal mugs, they are very light to handle as well. I look forward to my cup of tea even more than usual!

Ecozone Toilet Smellkiller
Ecozone Toilet Smellkiller

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, 24 Jan 2010
I don't know how this works, but it does exactly what it's supposed to do! After years of trying to solve a recurring toilet smell (caused by water problems in my local area) with chemical solutions, which often smelled strong and acrid, this little gadget has finally done the trick. No more smell, no powerful stink of chemicals or artificial air fresheners, just neutral air. For the same price as you would probably pay for a few months supply of air fresheners, you get something that it's claimed will last for years. A really good buy.

Russell Hobbs 14453 Food Collection Compact Food Steamer, 7 L - Brushed Stainless Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, but watch out for the timer, 22 Jan 2009
For the current bargain price of under £10 on Amazon, definitely worth ordering. But watch out for the timer device. It's a really flimsy clockwork spring - I'm now on my second one, having had to return the first one to Amazon as the timer wouldn't work. Unfortunately, the problem is exactly the same on the replacement one, so it's obviously a design flaw. To use this steamer, you will need to set a separate kitchen timer as well, to make sure you don't overcook or let it boil dry. Sometimes the timer works, sometimes it doesn't so you can't rely on it. Worth the hassle in my opinion at such a bargain price, as it cooks very well - I wouldn't pay more than £10, though. If you'd rather not mess about with setting a timer separately, then pay more for a model with a better timing device.