Profile for D Frank > Reviews

The Undercover Economist
by Tim Harford
Price: 9.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, it's not that bad, 24 May 2010
At the first glance, I did believe that the experience of reading this book would not be very bad because it is just one of the numerous casual readers on economics after all. Also, I am quite a keen reader on this subject to a certain extent, so I believe I can withstand any odd approach (unless it is extraordinarily odd).

In total, I can say the book is ordinary, well-written, well-organized, etc, but not that exciting at all, at least not as exciting as the preface has told me. I am a little bit disappointed actually. The topics covered, Ricardian rent, perfect market, efficiency, asymmetric information, etc, are quite common nowadays. Even go back in time to when this book was written, 2006, these topics are not that unusual at all. When being taken into comparison with Freakonomics, it is definitely not freak either.

Despite the not-that-exciting content and several oversimplifications, this book remains a so-so reader that deserves reading if and only if you haven't ever studied economics or haven't studied it for long. Overall, it's not that bad, but also not that exciting.