ARRAY(0xb341d1ec)

Profile for Serendipity Reviews > Reviews

Content by Serendipity Re...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 500

Serendipity Reviews "Serendipity Reviews" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Looking for JJ
Looking for JJ
by Anne Cassidy

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional read., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Looking for JJ (Paperback)
This really isn’t an easy book to review. Coming to it from the perspective of a parent, I found my insides churning as I read it. This has to be one of every parent’s nightmares and when this book was originally published it would have been something that played heavily on every parent’s mind after the Soham murders. I know that this book is a completely different style of murder, but it still makes you feel uneasy reading it.

To be fair, I think Anne Cassidy has handled a very delicate topic extremely well and with great sensitivity and I can see why the book was so popular. The author has managed to gain your sympathy for Jennifer Jones. You realise she was just a child and the situation her mother had put her in, tipped her over the edge. She needed help early on and it seemed as though the justice system had lost sight of her needs. She was a boiling kettle about to overflow, yet no one picked up on it.

You felt sympathy for the adult, Jennifer Jones, she was full to the brim of self loathing, just waiting to be discovered. Every day was a waiting game for her and she struggled to live a normal life. Whether people felt she was entitled to a normal life, is a difficult question to answer, as emotions tend to be at their rawest when a child is hurt.

I liked the way the book is set out into three parts, so you get a sense of the past, present and future. I am curious to what happens to Jennifer after this book finishes, and will shortly be reading the recent sequel, Finding Jennifer Jones, because in my mind, I cannot see how a character like this can ever find peace and lay to rest the past. It must be something that wakes you up in the morning, and greets you as you lay down to sleep. Jennifer had accurately sensed how people would react to her secret and the author has written these with sensitivity for both parties involved.

An emotional read, that makes you question a crime from the other side. At times it was disturbing to read, but it is definitely a book that should be read and one I would vigorously hand out to every teenager to read.

The Incredible Journey
The Incredible Journey
by Sheila Burnford

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Incredible Journey (Paperback)
I have heard so much about this book I had to buy it. The book came in excellent condition considering how old it was.

Banished: The Blackhart Legacy: Book One (Blackheart Legacy 1)
Banished: The Blackhart Legacy: Book One (Blackheart Legacy 1)
by Liz de Jager

5.0 out of 5 stars If you loved City of Bones, then this book is for you., 28 Feb 2014
Originally reviewed on Serendipity Reviews.
I have to state before you read my review that I do actually know Liz De Jager. She was very much a pioneer in the UKYA book blogging community and her imput is sorely missed. Now I guess you are thinking that my review will be biased because I know Liz. Well you couldn’t be more wrong. I was extremely nervous about reading this book; I was worried that I might not like it, that it might not live up to the early wide spread love already gained. In fact, I did speak to Liz via email before reviewing it and she knew I would be honest with my review.

As soon as I started reading it, I was surprised by it. Firstly it wasn’t what I was expecting. I was convinced it was higher fantasy when in actual fact, it was more urban fantasy set in the UK. From the very first chapter I was completely engrossed in Kit’s story and my word, she is one butt kicking character! She makes every young lad she meets looks weak in comparison. She is afraid of nothing and really ignites this story. There is obviously more to Kit than we find out in this book and I am looking forward to hearing more about her past in the next book.

The world building for this book is amazing. I knew Liz had a love for folklore and legend, but it really shines through in this book, as her knowledge is so detailed, adding an intricate level to the story.

The plot is fast paced and there were a few times I found myself holding my breath. Could Kit and Thorn save the day? How on earth would they get out of each explosive situation? And yet each time, they did. They solved it. If you think this might be a case of insta-love, think again. Although the relationship between Kit and Thorn develops within the book, it is a slow burning need for each other. They rely heavily on each other, before even a glint of romance appears.

I really really loved this book. I can hold my hand up and say that I loved it more than Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones, which is something I never ever thought I would say. It feels like Liz has not only successfully created urban fantasy set in the UK, but she has smashed it! I want more, I need more! I am desperate for Book 2, even though Banished didn’t end on an almighty cliff hanger. You can tell that Liz has listened to the YA market as well as encompassing her own knowledge to create a fast paced, explosive book that captures your imagination and leaves you wanting more.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower [DVD]
The Perks of Being a Wallflower [DVD]
Dvd ~ Logan Lerman

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift., 20 Feb 2014
This was bought as a Christmas present for my daughter. She really liked the film, although it was sad in parts.

Original Invero®Branded Amazon Kindle UK 3 Pin Mains / Wall Charger Cable Lead with Charging LED (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Touch 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD / 3G, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 3 / 3G, Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display)
Offered by DayzHappy

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke, 20 Feb 2014
I bought this for my Kindle and it stopped working a week after I got it. I had to buy another one.

Lexmark 80D2975 NO4 + NO5 Inkjet Cartridge
Lexmark 80D2975 NO4 + NO5 Inkjet Cartridge
Offered by Elephant-inks

3.0 out of 5 stars Very expensive, 20 Feb 2014
These are so expensive and really don't last very long. I seem to get through so many of these cartridges.

Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1 [DVD] [2011]
Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 20 Feb 2014
I just can't help but laugh at Mrs Brown's Boys. It is so wrong and yet so damn funny. Just fab.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 1:28 PM BST

Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair)
Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Poppy Sinclair!, 20 Feb 2014
I can’t help myself, but I really do love Poppy Sinclair. She really isn’t your average teenager. She overthinks everything and comes from the strangest mix of parents. On one side, she has her mum, who walks firmly on the Pagan side while her estranged father has found his calling within Christianity. Throughout this book, it is intriguing to watch Poppy’s internal struggle between Christianity and Paganism as she tries desperately to sit on the atheist fence, while events occurring around her make it very clear she won’t be able to sit there for long. Something is changing in Poppy and as she grows older it becomes more apparent which latent and unusual skills she has developed.

This book is set in Cambridge during the winter, just before Christmas and I found myself reminiscing fondly my days as a new adult in Cambridge. I felt the author captured the tone and the feel of the academic town and really brought it to life. I was left with a yearning to revisit.

The prologue sets the scene perfectly and you realise straightaway that Poppy is about to be drawn into another murder mystery. Poppy comes across as the UK’s version of Nancy Drew, but with a few unusual added extras. It doesn’t feel contrived in any way that she is at the centre of a murder investigation again, which was one of the things I was worried about before reading it. She really does have an unfortunate knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In this book, we learn more about the relationship between Poppy and her father, and discover exactly why it appears to have unravelled so disastrously. We also witness the next step in the relationship between Michael and Poppy, as Poppy stands on the threshold of losing her virginity. I really felt the author dealt with this in an honest and mature way, which would hopefully help other teenagers discuss this situation before rushing into anything they might feel uncomfortable with.

With an array of quirky and colourful characters, I whizzed through the book at great speed, to discover which one was the murderer. And yet again, I was dumbfounded by the truth, after following a line of red herrings.

I thought this was a brilliant second novel, which really establishes Sharon Jones as a crime writing YA author. I really do hope there will be more novels with Poppy Sinclair in the future, as I desperately want to know what happens between Poppy and Michael.

All I Want for Christmas (Unlocked Christmas Collection)
All I Want for Christmas (Unlocked Christmas Collection)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Feb 2014
I have to say before reading this book, I love the whole concept behind Unlocked Books from Hot Key Books. All the books in this imprint will be digitally printed for now, but I am guessing that at a later stage the books will be bound by a theme and published in paper back format in the future, though don’t quote me on that. Each quarter they will be publishing another set of books which will deal with different genres. I am already hooked on the New Adult ones.

I love Christmas books! Christmas itself – not so much. As it tends to be one of the busiest and most stressful times of the year, what more could I want but a little nugget of Christmas romance, easily readable in an evening, when time tends to be short.

This book is written under a pseudonym for reasons which I can’t work out as everyone knows that Keris Stainton wrote it. I am presuming it is because of her YA books but as this is the next step up from YA, I don’t actually get it. However, I do love the name – Esme Taylor!!

Ella and Joe are a great couple of characters. Ella has had a hard year and she is struggling to get past the things that have happened. Joe comes along and quickly becomes the antidote to her state of mind, quickly wheedling his way into her feelings. They are exact opposites of each other, yet attractions draws them together to create a promising future.

I loved Movieoke!!! I definitely want to find somewhere to pretend I’m in scenes of my favourite films.

There are some sexual scenes in this book, so don’t go downloading it for your twelve year old daughter as a little extra present. I would imagine it would appeal from 14 years up, even with the mild sex scenes.

There is a lovely Christmas feel to this book and I do think it blends romance, Christmas and sexual content really well. If you want just a slice of Christmas, then this is the book for you.

Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co 1)
Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co 1)
by Jonathan Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 18 Feb 2014
This is my first book by Jonathan Stroud and I can guarantee it won’t be my last. Instantly I fell in love with Jonathan’s sense of humour. He really is a very witty writer and the banter that jumps between his three main characters kept me entertained all the way through the book. There is a certain Britishness to their tone and manner. Their need to think things through over a cup of tea had me nodding my head in agreement.

The book appears to be set in an alternate London. A London where it is normal for every kid to see ghosts, but it still holds elements of the London we have now.

Lucy is an extremely strong character. She doesn’t suffer fools gladly and she comes across as more capable and in control than either of her male companions. Lockwood gives me the impression, that if offered the job, he would make an excellent Dr Who. There is an air of mystery surrounding him; visible through the way he thinks and works. I don’t think we’ve seen the real Lockwood quite yet. I felt he was hiding something. George, bless him, he comes across like a bumbling snail. Plodding along, working through the details while Lockwood and Lucy race into everything head first.

The story has lots of scary elements to it. Not sure I would be heading to Combe Carey in a hurry. There was so much evil emanating from it, I’m surprised by the bravery of these three characters.

I thought the plot was brilliant and I was completely entertained all the way through the story, even to the nail biting end. This is the first book in the series and I don’t know why it took me so long to read it, but I shall definitely be waiting with baited breath for the second book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 8:18 AM BST