Profile for G. Cliff > Reviews

Content by G. Cliff

G. Cliff (Altrincham, Cheshire United Kingdom)

Surveillance Spy Helicopter Radio Controlled w/ Video Recording 1.3MP Camera & Remote Control - Red & White (Indoor or Outdoor)

5.0 out of 5 stars S103 video record helicopter., 18 Mar. 2013
Brilliant - arrived safe and well. However it had the video switch described with a UK switch protocol AND and US video switch protocol. This caused an ininitil inconvenient confusion for me but the product works - that is what I wanted, Great!!!

EVO3 Micro Helicopter with Spy Camera and SD card
EVO3 Micro Helicopter with Spy Camera and SD card

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product that now does not wprk - very sad., 14 Mar. 2013
It flew very well and the video worked very well - the trouble is the helicopter cannot now be turned ON! The ON/OFF switch does not work.

Principles of Analytical Electron Microscopy
Principles of Analytical Electron Microscopy
by Joseph Goldstein

5.0 out of 5 stars An author's review., 2 Feb. 2011
This is the best synopsis describing the potential gains from analytical electron microscopy and the information needed to understand how to achieve the goals that can be achieved.
Whilst working at Lehigh University on my AEM sabbatical with Joe Goldstein and David Williams I was the principle author of chapter 5 of this book discussing analytical electron microscopy.
I had started my career at the University of Manchester in 1971 with the AEI EMMA-4 analytical electron microscope. The first of its kind. The rest is history.
I gave my name to Cliff-Lorimer k factors which I invented as a way of taking advantage of the stability of EDS x-ray detection. With John Clark I developed the absorption correction in thin foil x-ray TEM analysis and with Clive Nockolds I developed the only thin foil TEM fluorescence correction.
When aberration tailing in probe formation became a problem for those only using STEM analysis protocols my colleague Peter Kenway and I explained spherical aberration tailing effects. AEM can now analyse at atom detection limits. I predicted this in Boston in 1992. It was achieved at Lehigh University in 1996, a year later than I had predicted.

Why We Hate the Oil Companies: Straight Talk from an Energy Insider
Why We Hate the Oil Companies: Straight Talk from an Energy Insider
by John Hofmeister

5.0 out of 5 stars A book the politicians need to read., 30 Jun. 2010
John Hofmeister is not alone in his thinking.
In 2008 Oxford author Colin Tudge, presenting a lecture titled "Ten Years To Save Planet Earth", remarked, without equivocation, that "politicians are public enemy number one"
More recently Dr Vincent Cable, in his book "The Storm", about the world's economic crisis and what it means, wrote that "While there is crucial, urgent work to be done on the blocked financial plumbing and dangerous economic wiring it is the job of the political class to redesign the home so that it is better able to withstand future disasters."
John's book picks up on these themes and expands them. On page 34 he states that "It's not that today's ideas are bad; there's nothing wrong with so-called clean and green renewable energy. The challenge is that there is not enough of that kind of energy and there won't be for decades to come. By emphasising what is new and preaching hostility toward what is old, we fail to invest in what is needed."
He goes on to say on pages 236-237 that "Unfortunately for today's U.S. population, the problems are larger and more intractable than the current political system can resolve. We have resorted to extraordinary extremism on the right and the left and allowed info-tainers to define the terms of debate. So we are now suffering and will suffer further the consequences of the miss information, disinformation, and lack of energy information that characterises our society today. We will pay a huge price ten years out and even before then
Why do we hate the oil companies? Because politicians have taught us to, by using them as scapegoats for their own inability to lead and because the oil companies have been content, along with utilities, and to sit it out under a rock, making money all the while. In fact, the energy companies and special interests are party to the whole mess, given their feallty to the extraordinary fragmentation that our system has created and thus deserves some of our disdain. However, they are not the root cause of our coming descent into the energy abyss. The root cause is our dysfunctional, myopic political system and its elected leadership, that fails over and over again to address national energy planning for the short, medium and long term in a rational, economic way.
But all is not lost. We are a democracy. We are participants in the world's oldest and most successful experiment in self-managing our society and its future. Like all nations we have the opportunity to decide to change. Our system may be messier and clumsier than others, but in the end we can make it work. Our system is not without setbacks, including self-imposed, own- goal-line calamities. We will emerge from the energy abyss crisis with a renewed understanding of the importance of participatory democracy, a renewed sense of nation, and a new commitment to social cohesion and the importance of looking out for our fellow citizens. And finally we will emerge from the energy abyss with a secure, economically competitive, socially just society that thrives on growth and purpose fuelled by energy availability and affordability, and will hand on to future generations a legacy of environmental sustainability that will last for all ages."
No thinking commentator about this book can disagree with any of these statements, however Indian journalist Malini Mehra has described Copenhagen as the "Munich of our times"! If John Hofmeister does not attend Cancun, in Mexico this year, and bang a few political heads together, then his last wish for "sustainability that will last for all ages" can be kissed goodbye? I certainly hope that I will be wrong. Somehow with Colin Tudge's "public enemy number one" in power I do not think so?
Whatever that future will be, just make sure that you face it having read "Why we hate the oil companies" by John Hofmeister.

Lights out
Lights out
by TS WILEY

5.0 out of 5 stars The "hidden" harm of light at night in the modern 24 hour day?, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Lights out (Paperback)
I am a nanotechnologist. However my hobby is astronomy. Light pollution, caused by unnecessary light at night, is destroying our birthright, our heritage of the wonders of the night sky. Kids today think stars are movie SFX, few can see the Milky Way. This book however is frightening me because of its implications concerning the LAN that obscures that Milky Way. As a nanotechnologist I know the harm being done by sub micron aerosol particulates. The "hidden" harm of light at night, as described in this book, is a warning that we may well be too late - much too late?
Ignore this book and we face a dreadful future. Like passive smoking and exposure to asbestos (like that from the WTC tower collapse), the harm may very well already have been done? Read this book and learn the future implications of what we ALL may well face?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2014 8:20 PM GMT

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2004 Standard
Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2004 Standard

5.0 out of 5 stars Magix ACL is just Magic!, 15 Jan. 2004
This reviewer has used computers since 1968 and has spent long hours writing math code. My own code in the 1980's was provided free to students on short courses in the USA. I always imagined my code was good but the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab is the best software I have ever used. It has no equals!
I have de-hissed old cassettes, de-clicked old vinyl and I continue to recommend Magix ACL to everyone who will listen.
Simply superb software. Need I say more? Just buy it!