Profile for Happy Snapper > Reviews

Content by Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LEGO Technic Cargo Plane Building Set
LEGO Technic Cargo Plane Building Set

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!! ADDICTIVE!, 28 Jun. 2015
Wow. Wow and, well, wow. I received this as a Father's Day gift from my wife and son. It is truly awesome! Approx fourteen hours of building time for my wife and I, with her acting as the parts department and me the constructor later, and crikey, we have an aeroplane!

Now, I should come clean at this point, I have worked in regional airlines for more than twenty years. I know an awful lot about turboprops of many descriptions, particularly ATR's, Saabs and the Dornier 228 & 328. This model goes together beautifully, with lots of realistic features. I'm thinking it was possibly based on something like a CASA or an Antonov, but whatever, it is quite brilliant. Hard enough to be challenging for an adult, and it gave us both loads of quality time. The electrical features are quite superb, just be absolutely sure to insert the batteries at the very outset, and certainly before you slot in the battery box. Access is difficult otherwise.

My 6 year old thinks this is incredible. Slightly beyond him from a building perspective at the moment, but he just loves it.

It is a big beast. Think carefully about a prominent storage/display place for it, as you'll want to show it off!

Joseph Joseph Elevate Lockable Tongs Large - Grey/ Green
Joseph Joseph Elevate Lockable Tongs Large - Grey/ Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Disaster, 10 May 2015
Our household loves Joseph Joseph, and our new kitchen pays homage to their wonderful products. We have everything from coloured chopping boards to knives and even a natty holder for washing up liquid. Great fun, and all brilliantly made, except for THESE LOUSY TONGS!!!!!

I could tell you that I persevered, cared for and cherished this product, but I didn't. The ends (as in, the green bits) kept falling off. Normally into a hot pan, but without exception, every time I used them. They are now in the bin.

A drastic rethink in product design needed here sadly.

Kindle Voyage, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars This is by a long way the very best e-reader I've ever used, 8 Jan. 2015
I was an early adopter of e-readers, starting with Sony, and then on to Kindle as soon as it was sensibly available and supported in the UK. As such, I've been through Keyboard, standard, touch, standard again, Paperwhite 1 and now on to Voyage. This is by a long way the very best e-reader I've ever used, and I use them daily. The relatively small improvement in resolution makes a massive difference to me. The auto lighting is clever and intuitive (just be careful about planting your finger over the sensor discreetly hidden in the top left corner of the surround, it is easy to do!). Page turns are incredibly fast and smooth. The design grows more 'Applesque' with each Kindle incarnation, and this one the closest yet to an i-device.

I also love the re-situated on/off switch, and most of all the Origami cases. Whilst expensive, they compliment Voyage perfectly, and the reading stand is absolutely spot on for my needs when travelling or dining alone away on business trips.

This is a really well thought out and powerful device. Amazon, take a bow!

HP Photosmart 6520 Wireless A4 AirPrint e-All-in-one Colour Photo Inkjet Printer
Offered by Apple4Less

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Heap of Crap! Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!, 29 May 2013
Probably the worst item I've ever been shafted on buying. The damn thing just does not connect, wirelessly or otherwise, to any of my three different Mac computers, let alone ipads or phones. It just doesn't work.

A completely wasted day, which as a self employed person is unforgivable, trying to get this utter disgrace of a machine to do what it is supposed to. It is full of its own self importance, and tells you how it is not at fault, but five computers and three other printers working perfectly, straight out of the box, tells me that this HP is good at lying and hopeless at doing what it was purchased for. I'm taking it back tomorrow and will buy a Canon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 9:25 AM BST

Hand Grip for Fujifilm X-E1, X-E2
Hand Grip for Fujifilm X-E1, X-E2

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really fit for purpose, 15 Jan. 2013
I purchased this item to try to 'bulk' out my XE-1 a little bit due to the problem of having large hands. Sadly, the grip is so well made and ergonomic that it completely fails to improve the handling of the camera at all! As such, mission failed, and grip sadly returned.

As usual with Fuji, the product quality is excellent, and Amazon despatched the item so quickly I had it almost within twelve hours of my order being placed. It is a good product, and for someone with smaller hands would be ideal, but for me it served no purpose.

B+W 49mm 007M MRC Nano Coated Clear Glass Protection filter - XSPD Mount
B+W 49mm 007M MRC Nano Coated Clear Glass Protection filter - XSPD Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 13 April 2012
I have for a long time struggled to find lens filters which maintain their integrity after prolonged use, and I've grown sick of the Hoya brand and the rather poor resistance and longevity they show with constant staining being a repeated issue.

As such, having gone through one Hoya 49mm protector for my Fuji X100 in only one weekend (goodness knows how) I set about looking for an alternative. I had been aware of B+W, but I had no idea just how good they are until buying this item. The quality of the glass and mount is exceptional, and as you screw the filter onto the X100 filter ring you know that this is a classy product. The results so far using this filter are the closest I've ever found to a non-filtered or protected lens.

Time will tell how this filter performs in terms of 'robustness' and staining, but I have very high hopes and therefore happily recommend this item.

Usual excellent Amazon sales and delivery service as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2012 7:09 PM GMT

Lowepro Versapack 200 AW Photo Backpack for DSLR Camera - Black
Lowepro Versapack 200 AW Photo Backpack for DSLR Camera - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The Versa is Very Versatile - Excellent Bag, 21 April 2011
Love this bag. Like most photographers, amateur such as myself or pro, over the years I've collected a large number of different carriage solutions, from waist packs to Billinghams. They all have their own merits and uses, but for me, this Versapack has really filled a specific need since I bought it in October 2010. As such, after six months of very solid use, now is the time to comment on its merits.

This was bought as a concession to fatherhood, as days out now mean camera plus toddler kit. Normal camera bags simply don't cut it for me at the moment, so the trick was to look for something which can take camera and other essentials safely on the plane or train. This bag is like a little tardis. The camera section in the base takes my Nikon D700, 24/120 f4 lens, and 50mm f1.4. I can also jam in the SB600 or 700 if I try, but the D700 with 50mm is so good in low light that I don't bother to take a flash for holidays or weekends away. I can also fit the camera with the 16-35 mounted - so plenty of good, usable, re-configurable space in the base. Old photo half & half packs always suffered for me because of the lack of room for personal kit, and it is here where Lowepro has got the Versa 200 so right as the top half of the bag has excellent space for pretty much everything you could imagine. Toddler cups, sandwiches, a jumper (or even two jumpers if they stuff down small, a stuff sack can help this) travel wallet for passports etc, Kindle - in short, this bag is plenty big enough to be a great carry-on. My Versa has flown 24 times since October 2010, both for work and personal reasons, thus needing some re-configuring for each mission. Every time it was worked brilliantly. No problem in carry-on size for proper airlines such as BA/Lufthansa etc - also no problem for decent low-cost carriers such as easyJet. Ryanair would probably fine you a grand or two - but as I will not fly with them I've not tested the Versa on one of their so-called 'services' yet.

Also - this is a very comfortable rucksack to wear, probably one of the best I've ever worn, and when you are using this in a hot climate that is a real bonus. I never feel sweaty or constrained wearing the Versa, no matter how full or empty it is. Much of this is I think down to the lack of un-necessary padding on the shoulder straps which is a real bug-bear for me on other rucksacks. Lowepro has just got this so very right. For holidays, this then doubles also as a small beach bag too - so you will certainly get your money's worth out of it!

And that is the final point. It is an absolute bargain at around £60. Buy one and love it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Spectacular, 7 Jan. 2011
I received the 3G Kindle as a Christmas gift from my wife (funnily enough, I bought her the same thing, which was deliberate!) and therefore you can read this review as being for two 3G Kindles purchased for each other. We were not new to e-readers, having both had Sony Pocket Editions last year, and as such, we had bought in to the concept of electronic reading well before this fabulous new Kindle was released to the World.

The Sony's were excellent, but the new Kindle blows them apart, as it is soooo much better. The biggest difference, and for me the absolute killer feature of the Kindle, is the excellent, intuitive software behind the product. Buying books from Amazon is a breeze, generally good value, and so easy to manage. I love the fact that Kindle books purchased stay for ever in your Amazon account, and can be easily downloaded to whichever device you wish so long as it is registered. I also love the fact that the 3G Kindle just doesn't require a computer - ever if you so wish. Set up of the Kindle device took me approximately 30 seconds, and synchronisation with my Amazon account was seamless. I was reading my current book (which I'd started on iPad as I was getting excited in the run up to Christmas) using the whispersync functionality in virtually no time at all. Whispersync really does work, and it is a superb feature.

I've now read two books on Kindle, and the clarity and quality of the screen is superb. Far, far better than the Sony, which was itself no slouch. The biggest improvements over the Sony are the ease of use with the well placed page turn buttons, and the speed of page turns, which is almost instant. As a device, it is totally fit for purpose and highly recommended.

But back to software, which is were Kindle simply destroys its competition. The Sony was a great device, but let down badly by awful software and hopeless book buying options in the UK. All e-readers are broadly the same, but the back end is really what differentiates them, and in the case of Kindle, Amazon has got it spot on.

I cannot ever see me moving away from Kindle now, and I look forward to future upgrades of this excellent product. Buy with confidence, and enjoy all that this amazing device has to offer.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Walkaround Lens, 2 Nov. 2010
This is an excellent lens from Nikon, and I would highly recommend it. The colours, contrast and sharpness produced by it are simply wonderful. Build quality is semi-professional, but the optics are pro all the way. I'm comparing this to the 24-70 f2.8 which I owned briefly in the past, and frankly I can see only small differences in the results produced by each lens. This 24-120 is also considerably lighter, shorter (when the zoom is retracted) and slightly cheaper. A great choice for advanced amateurs and professional photographers.

As a walkaround, this lens has replaced the 24-85 f2.8/4, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and 70-300mm f4.5/5.6 in my bag, and my photography has improved massively as a result as I am concentrating on the photograph rather than the equipment. I'd made a calculation of the numbers of photographs taken with each lens, and furthermore at what focal lengths, and I found 99% of them were in the 35-180mm DX focal length range which this 24-120 offers a D300 user such as myself. Best of all, is that when I eventually move on to FX Nikon, this lens comes with me.

This is an expensive piece of glass, shown by the gold ring, but worth every penny. I love the results this lens has produced for me so far, and look forward to continuing to use it as my normal 'one-lens' solution. I've found that the only other lens left in my collection, the 50mm f1.4 G AFS is a perfect accompaniment to the 24-120, and finds plenty of use in very poor light and for portraits. If you are considering a walkaround do-it-all type of lens, this is it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 12:52 PM GMT

Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)
Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, Totally, Unbelievably Awesome!!!, 27 July 2010
Like other reviewers, I was not really sure why I wanted one of these, other than I just did. I really could not work out what it was for, particularly also having an iMac at home, a MacBook Pro at work and various ipods and iphones. I have however, always been an Apple fanatic, so I guess I was always going to buy one of these sooner or later.

I am a great book reader, so I thought the iPad would be a perfect upgrade from my Sony e-reader, and here is the only place where the iPad is not fit for purpose, an e-reader it simply isn't. The backlit screen (albeit easily variable) is not a great reading device. Shame because the GUI and iBooks are excellent. So, bad news out of the way first, if you want an e-reader, read on and get a Sony PRS300.

The five stars are given for the sheer beauty and intuitiveness of the screen, particularly for displaying photos to friends and family. This is the main reason for my purchase, as it is the only electronic solution I have seen so far to the costly business of heading off to Snappy Snaps or Jessops for post holiday printing or general photo printing. So far, I've saved over £100 on prints which I'd show off and then forget about - six months on and I'll have almost paid my £429 back in savings on photo printing. I am a prolific advanced photographer in my spare time, and for portfolios, family and event pics this is a great show-off tool. The slide show functionality, particularly when setting to music of your choice from the iPod function, is great. The watered down version of iPhoto in the iPad is a bit disappointing as no editing is possible, but I guess an App or Apple workround will follow in due course. In the meantime, running this off iTunes for photo download and display is justifying my purchase on its own.

The Safari web browsing is just great, as is the email functionality, so as others have said this is an adequate replacement for most of your daily computing needs. The App store provides plenty of interest for everyone.

In summary, just get it. Sadly, if you are a Microsoft dinosaur you won't understand and you'll just have to stick with bugs, endless stupid messages and constant crashes. For those who want the computer or device to enhance their digital lives rather than hinder them Apple does everything you'll ever need, and beautifully designed as well.

Oh, and the £30 Apple case for the iPad - also highly recommended. It keeps the device slim, protected and ready to go.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2010 8:25 AM BST