Profile for Vera > Reviews

Christmas in Exeter Street
Christmas in Exeter Street
by Diana Hendry

5.0 out of 5 stars This will become a tradition, 6 Feb. 2015
I bought this book based on the reviews on Amazon on and we weren't disappointed. I read this to my child several times in the run up to Christmas and we had a great time spotting things in the pictures. There is a page where we see all the people in the house asleep and it was great to remember who each of them were and count them all. The story is actually very funny to read, quite deadpan. It'll definitely be coming out again next Christmas.

My First Sewing Machine Book
My First Sewing Machine Book
by Emma Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners book, 6 Feb. 2015
I bought this for my daughter, it is a great first sewing book. The projects are modern, fresh, and attractive.

Klutz: My Name
Klutz: My Name
by Karen Phillips
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for tweens., 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Klutz: My Name (Spiral-bound)
I've bought this twice for gifts and it goes down a storm with tweens. I'll probably end up buying it again.

How to Make Clay Characters
How to Make Clay Characters
by Maureen Carlson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic guide, 6 Feb. 2015
I like this guide to making clay figures, particularly how to sculpt the faces. However the figures do seem a bit dated somehow and perhaps a bit twee. However I don't think I will ever be as good as this author, so I am more than happy with it as a great staring point that I am sure I can adapt.

Crafty Dolls
Crafty Dolls
by Jane Bull

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice book for beginners / older children, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Crafty Dolls (Hardcover)
This is a charming book. I make art dolls but wanted a beginners book to sewing dolls for my daughter and this is just the book. The basic doll is simple enough for her (it also features in another Jane Bull book we have) , but the ideas for different outfits, hair etc are great. There are a couple of other types of dolls too. I must admit I am looking forward to working on them with my daughter :-)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good nit comb !, 6 Feb. 2015
I had a plastic comb which was fine but after a couple of uses on my daughter's very long, thick hair the teeth were breaking. This one is very sturdy with a guarantee that if it breaks you can claim a new one from the manufacturer free of charge. My daughter hadn't had head lice for several years but inevitably they were doing the rounds at school. By the time I noticed, she had a lot of eggs which stick firmly to the hair and awful to get out, but this comb is very good at removing the eggs, not just the little beasties.

Corkcicle Air - Wine Chiller and Aerator
Corkcicle Air - Wine Chiller and Aerator
Offered by Birando Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and does the job., 22 Jan. 2015
I bought one of these as a gift and was so pleased with it, I bought another one. The stick is plastic, filled with a liquid like those coolbox little plastic slabs. You pop the whole thing in the freezer and when it's frozen you can then put it straight into your wine bottle. The cork is split into two bits (took me a while to realise this!) which means you just pop the top off, and there is a little spout through which the wine pours out without having to remove the Corkcicle from the bottle. The box it comes in is a lovely presentation box, looks like a real quality item .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2015 7:00 PM GMT

Wooky Sweet Links Craft Kit
Wooky Sweet Links Craft Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks beautiful, terrible to use., 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Wooky Sweet Links Craft Kit (Toy)
I didn't buy this from Amazon, I bought it elsewhere . I usually like Style Me Up kits. The kit looks gorgeous, the threads were beautiful colours, but it is ridiculously badly designed. It says in the leaflet, Patent Pending, well I don't think they should fear anyone would steal the idea, it's appallingly designed. So first you get the little bars in place, it wasn't too difficult with the little tool, the problem is the two main plastic bits that sandwich the littles bars will flip apart at any opportunity and the whole thing then just falls apart. My 10 year old daughter got very frustrated with it as it kept falling apart, so I tried it, making a point of holding the plastic sandwich together but even then, exactly the same thing kept happening to me. I finally managed one bracelet, but that was after several failed starts. I think it makes 3 bracelets in all. But not a chance in this house. For my sanity, it's going into the bin. We'll go back to making friendship bracelets by using those little round foam weaving disc - sometimes the old ways really are the best.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2015 10:54 PM GMT

The Popularity Papers: Book Four: The Rocky Road Trip of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang
by Amy Ignatow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books for reluctant readers., 19 Aug. 2014
As with the last 3 books, this book arrived and was read within about 2 days. My daughter is normally a reluctant reader, but she absolutely loves these books and is already begging for the next one!.

Myo Friendship Bracelet
Myo Friendship Bracelet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain., 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Myo Friendship Bracelet (Toy)
What a bargain these are! I bought this kit for my daughter, but I think I use it more than she does. Its very relaxing and very easy to use and the two wheels mean you can make 4 different designs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10