Profile for Vera > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pocket Posh Sudoku 3: 100 Puzzles
Pocket Posh Sudoku 3: 100 Puzzles
by The Puzzle Society

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, gorgeous.... and oh yes ... Sudoku too, 21 Sep 2012
I'm addicted to these gorgeous little books. Some have Sudoku puzzles, others have different puzzles, but at the moment I am into Sudoku.

At the end of the day Sudoku is Sudoku, whether it comes in a fancy book or not, but the covers themselves are just so beautiful I can't resist them and they are a really good price! I love even just looking at it sat on the coffee table (yes, I know thats sad!)

No, It's Us Too!
No, It's Us Too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me chuckling for hours, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: No, It's Us Too! (Kindle Edition)
There are some miserable people writing reviews... its a free book! what more do you want!! I LOVED it! Even if I had paid for it I would still have loved it. Absolutely hilarious little anecdotes that had me chuckling for hours after I'd read them. I even read some (of the clean ones) to my little girl who loved to hear that daft things happen to adults too.

Totally Tangled
Totally Tangled
by Sandy Steen Bartholomew

4.0 out of 5 stars great inspiration, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Totally Tangled (Paperback)
I really like this book, it has given me lots of inspiration as I am new to tangles.

The beginning of the book explained the basics, and how to draw some of the tangles and then it went on to show tangles which others had drawn. Lots of really great ones which I am trying to copy to get the hang of it. However I would like a book that gives me more basics on how to draw the tangles.

There are websites where these are available, but when I have been looking at a screen all day I don't want to spend my leisure time looking at the screen to practice what I want. I understand there is a "kit" (very expensive though), and there are classes, but not where I am.

In all, this lady is very talented, has produced a great book which I am sure I will be referring to for months to come, but I would like a book which was more of a "one-stop-shop".

Drawing Faces (Art Ideas) (Usborne Art Ideas)
Drawing Faces (Art Ideas) (Usborne Art Ideas)
by Rosie Dickins
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars would like more instruction, 21 Sep 2012
This book is quite good, but I was looking for a simply book to show me (yes an adult!) how to draw faces and how to shade properly etc. This book does this very briefly, then goes on to explain different styles of drawing/painting colouring. There were only 2 pages relevant to what I wanted, but maybe thats all there is to know, and I am supposed to just practise? Nice books if you want different ideas, but wasn't the tutorial I was looking for.

The Snow Queen (Templar's Collectors Classics Series)
The Snow Queen (Templar's Collectors Classics Series)
by Hans Christian Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 21 Sep 2012
The pictures in this book are beautiful and I love that there is a "search" at the end of the book for various items in the pictures. I am looking forward to reading this to my daughter on the run up to Christmas.

Animal Women's Swish Placement Peacoat Flip Flops FM2SA413 - K23 - 04A 4 UK
Animal Women's Swish Placement Peacoat Flip Flops FM2SA413 - K23 - 04A 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable!!, 17 July 2012
I have never been able to wear toe post flip flops because they are like instruments of torture. However I read a review about these being easy to wear because the toe post is fabric so I thought I would give toe posts one last go.

These were the comfiest footwear I wore during my holidays. I had no problem at all with the fabric toe post and didn't even notice it and I loved the padded fabric straps over my foot (sorry, can't think of the right word). I walked for miles in these on roads, on the sand, in the sea, by the pool and they were perfect.

I actually take a size 5 normally but as I have narrow feet I bought a 4 so I wouldn't slide around in them. The 4 was a snug fit, just right for me.

My only problem now is deciding what other colours to buy :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 4:34 PM BST

Thrift: The Misadventures of an Inadequate Teacher
Thrift: The Misadventures of an Inadequate Teacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 21 May 2012
I didn't think I was going to like this when I read the first page, because I hate the "whatever" attitude which some kids show today. It just really grates on me.

However I stuck with it and I am so glad I did. It was hilarious and just got better as the book went on.

Coffee, Tea, The Gypsy & Me...
Coffee, Tea, The Gypsy & Me...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what I think about this book, 21 May 2012
It was a bit of a strange one for me this. At some points I really liked it and at some points I really hated it. I've never had that in a book before.

In some parts Jo and her friend seemed positively adolescent and it just didn't ring true. The thread about the icy feeling in the conservatory was strange. The character of the Irish guy John was very much like a cardboard cut out.

I also found it weird that Jo seemed to spend the minimal amount with her child, constantly palming him off on grandmother / nanny / ex-husband.... she was always off shopping / meeting with various guys / having her hair done and seemingly spent the rest of the time working. Okay, I get she is a single mother, but when exactly did she spend quality time with her child?

However, there were some lovely parts in the book, I just think it was a bit up and down in quality and believability.

Also the typos got ever more numerous towards the end of the book, which became really irritating. I even think at one point Estelle's name changed to Elena - unless she was someone else and I'd lost the thread a bit. Not sure if this was a fault of when it got put into Kindle format, or because it was free I got a pre- proofread version?

Wooden Mancala Set
Wooden Mancala Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mancala set!, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wooden Mancala Set (Toy)
My daughter played this every day at her after school club for months so I bought her one. She loves it. Its very nicely made and I like the fact that it folds up. I would say it could do with a catch at the end to lock the two pieces of wood together so all the glass beads don't fall out, but I actually just use a hair bobble which does the trick.

Tenues de poupée : 50 Modèles à réaliser
Tenues de poupée : 50 Modèles à réaliser
by Phildar

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book .... but...., 20 Oct 2011
i really like the patterns in this book. Most are good, the odd one or two are a bit old fashioned. However what I find difficult is there are no seam allowances. So you trace / photocopy the pattern then you have to add on the seam allowances. Now I'm okay at sewing but I find this really annoying having to build them in.

Not tried the knitting patterns yet as I haven't got my head round the French knitting terms. I wish they did the book in English, but then I suppose the Corolle dolls are French and they're not that well known in the UK.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5