Profile for Mrs J > Reviews

Content by Mrs J

Mrs J

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Flame Trees Of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood (Vintage Classics)
The Flame Trees Of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back my childhood, 3 Sep 2013
A wonderful read which reminds me of my own childhood, not in Kenya, but in cold England watching this on the TV. A wonderfully evocative read, of an age when people just got up, got out and got on. An inspiration, and a joy.

Comfy Real Leather Dog Collar suitable for Whippet, Saluki, Lurcher Hounds,afghan hounds & Greyhounds. Large: 18" -fits neck sizes from 14" to 16"
Offered by Ace Dog Collars

5.0 out of 5 stars Check you sizing!, 3 Sep 2013
We had to send this back because it was the wrong size for our whippet - what fits a saluki and a deerhound lurcher will simply not fit a whippie! - but a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Korres Walnut and Coconut SPF 20 Clear Sunscreen Spray 150ml
Korres Walnut and Coconut SPF 20 Clear Sunscreen Spray 150ml
Offered by olympiabeautystore

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 3 Sep 2013
Smells like a caribbean holiday, works a treat, and is easy to use and apply. Great value I think too, from this wonderful herbal driven team

Korres Shea Butter Children SPF 50 Sunscreen Emulsion Spray 150ml
Korres Shea Butter Children SPF 50 Sunscreen Emulsion Spray 150ml
Offered by Afrodite Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - highly recommended, 3 Sep 2013
My children gave this star rating. It's 60% natural, and they have taken out all the nasties, and it still works a treat. Have a look at even some of the most popular, and country 'No 1' brands - they contain parabens, when they simply don't need to. Well done Greece!

White Mischief
White Mischief

4.0 out of 5 stars A great pastiche, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: White Mischief (Kindle Edition)
A very evocative movie, true-ish to the book. I remember watching this when it first came out and being blown away, and now, nearly 30 years later, although it does have wobbly credits, the essence of the time is well delivered showing hedonistic selfish individuals as the people they are. Beautiful costumes, scenery, and does Kenya proud. Sit down with a large G&T, and plan your trip to Africa!

A Thousand Pardons
A Thousand Pardons

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistently paced novel, 5 July 2013
Whilst I sort of enjoyed this book, I was really trying to get to the end. Which was a little dull to be honest. It had a lot of promise but I suppose, like some things in life, it was all talk and no action. Facts were inconsistent, and many things implausible, which made it a bit erractic. It had hints of being like a Carl Hiassen novel, but it wasn't black humour and was serious plot work, which made it rather dull in places. It had a lot of promise at times, but became more disappointing because nothing materialised and characters and plots are pithy. I did finish it though, but I try to finish all the books I read, unless I reach a point of agonising agony!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Carl Hassen on speed, 25 Feb 2013
What a fantastic fun read. This is like going back in time, and reading Carl Hassen but rather than the dim witted of the deep south, it's the dim witted of Sweden. It's also a mini version of the history of the world which is extremely clever. A really fun read, which is well researched, witty and totally bonkers

Yours Truly
Yours Truly

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical and original, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Yours Truly (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this book - it made me laugh out loud. There are few books that can surprise a worm like me these days, but this one made me roar out loud.
Confused in places as the background setting for the principal character was all over the place, and the fastest relationship in bloom that I have ever read, but that aside, a great fun read which was what you need on a cold winters evening.

Watch Over Me
Watch Over Me

4.0 out of 5 stars A game of two halves, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Watch Over Me (Kindle Edition)
A bit typical of this genre which features weak women you want to slap around the face and tell them to get on with their lives, HOWEVER, the very clever interaction between the alive and the dead is probably how we all view our dead loved ones in our heads. Beautifully written at times, and really very moving. Not sure though that my dead rellies would push me into a relationship, but that's the power of written media. Worth a read, and will raise a few tears

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars Moody prose, 25 Feb 2013
This is an excellent trilogy, although the style of flash back does become a bit monotonous. However, I want to go to Harris which means more than anything it's sold the Islands. A very enjoyable read, although dark and sad content.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3