Profile for S. Devonport > Reviews

Content by S. Devonport

S. Devonport "The Rock Says.." (Manchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

iZKA® - New Tesco HUDL 7" LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard - (Pack of 3) Includes Micro Fibre Cleaning Cloth & Application Card
Offered by iBox Ltd
Price: 2.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know what all the fuss was about!, 6 April 2014
I was in two minds whether to purchase this product after reading some of the reviews but decided to take the plunge. For 3 it wasn't exactly gonna stretch my finances a great deal!

Well, it arrived Saturday morning and was twice as good as actually described - pack of 6 rather than pack of 3. I had 2 Hudls to put these screen protectors on and in both cases they went on first time with no problems at all. Just get it lined up and take your time with it is the way to go, I found it easiest to use the card to smooth it out down the middle as I was going and the sides just felll into place themselves. Any slight bubbling was very easy to smooth out and I've still got four left!

Second-Class Male: A Book of Misguided Letters
Second-Class Male: A Book of Misguided Letters
by Stan Madeley
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Second class male? Fourth rate humour!, 14 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm afraid this book did absolutely nothing for me. Maybe you need a particular sense of humour to appreciate it, if so then it's obviously a sense of humour that I don't possess.

I'll confess that there were one or two letters that raised a smile but for the most part this left me cold. In fact, once I got about a third of the way through I found myself flicking through the remaining 150 or so pages hoping to stumble across something, anything, to make me chuckle. Alas, my efforts were in vain, at least until I turned the final page and realised my ordeal was over. Then I smiled, like a Cheshire Cat!

Primeval. Extinction Event
Primeval. Extinction Event
by Paul Kearney
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy accompaniment to the TV show, 4 July 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since I'm a huge fan of the TV series, I suppose I could be accused of bias but this was a very enjoyable read. Being familiar with the characters meant that I could very easily visualise the story as if I was actually watching it on TV, thanks to Dan Abnett's writing style.

The lines attributed to each character in the book were faithful to the TV characters - when Abby spoke for example you could picture Hannah Spearitt uttering the words, similarly Cutter, Connor & the rest of the cast.

If you're a fan of the show and enjoy a good read you must get this.

Fallen
Fallen
Price: 4.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I never thought I'd see the day that I found an album that was better than Alanis Morissette's Under Rug Swept. I have though, and this is it.
Amy Lee has got a tremendous voice, and the album is pure quality from start to finish. The three tracks that have already been released are superb, with My Immortal being my favourite. Having said that, they have to release Tourniquet as a single. It's definitely the best song on the album.
Amy and the guys may as well retire from the music industry now, because I don't see how they're gonna top this! I'm sure they will though, and I'll be first in the queue to buy it!

Real Things
Real Things
Offered by Baby George's Books
Price: 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Aloud!, 10 July 2003
This review is from: Real Things (Audio CD)
I have to admit, I'd never heard of Javine before. I've never seen Pop Idol or any of those kind of shows, so probably couldn't name half the members of Girls Aloud. Having listened to this song on the radio many times over the last couple of weeks though, I think we'll be hearing a lot more about this talented young lady.
This is a great song with a very catchy rhythm to it. I'll be very surprised indeed if it doesn't reach number one in the next week or two, especially when you consider some of the tat that passes for music these days that has already scaled those heady heights. Roll on the first album, that's all I can say. If the rest of it turns out to be as good as this song, it'll definitely be on my "to buy" list.
Javine's got a style reminiscent of Beyonce Knowles. Indeed, the first half dozen times I heard this I thought it was Beyonce, thanks mainly to the DJs on my local station playing the song without mentioning the artist! Thanks, guys! Anyway, I don't think she'll be too concerned about missing out on Girls Aloud. Imagine, though. If she can have a hit like this on her own what success would she have as part of a group? The mind boggles.
A definite 5 out of 5 from me. Sorry I can't make it more!

Footprints
Footprints
Price: 2.83

5.0 out of 5 stars She Can Give Me a Kiss-Kiss Any Day!, 24 Jan 2003
This review is from: Footprints (Audio CD)
Holly Valance has had her fair share of critics in recent months, being labelled another Aussie soap wannabe pop star. Yes, she's Australian. OK, she's in Neighbours. But a wannabe? I don't think so! Neither would you if you'd heard "Footprints".
"Footprints" is an excellent album. It's doubly impressive when you consider that this is a debut album! I've found that quite a lot of artists produce their best work a couple of albums down the line, Garbage being a good example. On that basis, Holly is going to be sensational in a year or two!
I bought this a couple of weeks ago and can't stop playing it. I love it! It compares with Alanis Morrisette's "Under Rug Swept" inasmuch as it's one of those rarities in the pop industry - an album with a handful of standout songs, but no bad ones. The obvious standouts are the three hits so far, with "Kiss Kiss", for me, being the best of the three. I love the video (and you thought Britney looked hot in her debut!).
There are at least another three songs on this album that could do very well if released. Tuck Your Shirt In is basically "Kiss Kiss" part 2. It's a great song, but the similarity to Kiss Kiss may prevent it from being a hit. I hope not.
I really like Connect, it's got a very unusual style and sound to it, but for me the pick of the album is Whoop!. This has got everything - a funky beat, terrific chorus and all round fantastic sound to it. A sure-fire hit if ever I heard one.
The rest of the album is a mixture of styles and sounds. Holly is as comfortable with the ballads as with the more upbeat material.
All in all, a fantastic album. Beg, borrow or steal a copy if you don't want to buy it but give it a listen. It's worth it.

Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - The Complete Series One [VHS] [2001]
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - The Complete Series One [VHS] [2001]
VHS
Offered by The_Perfect_Used_Book_Store
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Live The Phoenix!, 7 Aug 2002
It's brilliant, this!
I'm a big fan of Peter Kay and already own the video of the stand-up concert he did at Blackpool Tower, so I was really looking forward to this. I wasn't disappointed.
I watched this on Channel 4 last year (twice, thanks to the marvel that is the modern video recorder!), and couldn't stop laughing. I've just watched it again the second time around and laughed just as much.
As well as being part of a continuing storyline, each episode stands alone as a comedic masterpiece. Great characters like Brian Potter, Max and Paddy the bouncers (what've you done to your 'air? Is it a wig?), Jerry St Clair and others, together with excellent scripts make this a series not to be missed.
If you've already seen the series on Channel 4, you've probably already got this video on your shopping list. If not, buy it anyway. You won't regret it.

Under Rug Swept (Uk-Enhanced)
Under Rug Swept (Uk-Enhanced)
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call music!!!!!!, 14 Jun 2002
This could be the best album in the world, EVER!
I'm a big fan of Alanis, and was expecting something really special with this album after the success of Jagged Little Pill and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. Oh boy, is this ever something special!
From the fantastically powerful "21 Things" right the way through to the much mellower "Utopia", this is 50 minutes plus of quality music. I've had the album myself for about four months and have played it more than probably the rest of my collection put together.
As with any album some tracks stand out more than others. Particular favourites for me are 21 Things, Surrendering and Precious Illusions, which I believe is to be the next single. Even these great songs, though, are blown away by the awesome "Hands Clean". I'd love to meet the artist who can produce a better song than that - it's phenomenal! Could someone please explain to me how it didn't reach number 1?
Anyway, this is my review, and I hope you find it useful.
PS - is it just me, or did Alanis look particularly hot in the Hands Clean video???

Silver Side Up
Silver Side Up
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like rock, BUY THIS!, 22 May 2002
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I must confess that I bought this album purely on the strength of "How You Remind Me", and I'm delighted to say that I haven't been disappointed.
The album starts with the excellent "Never Again", a great track about domestic violence, and doesn't let up until the final song "Good Times Gone", a much mellower tune than the previous nine on the album.
I was very impressed with this CD and will certainly look out for future Nickelback albums.