Profile for Elizabeth Bearman > Reviews

Just A Phrase I'm Going Through: My Life in Language
Just A Phrase I'm Going Through: My Life in Language
Price: 18.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 21 April 2014
I have enjoyed all the books I've read by David Crystal, and this one was no exception. It was great to know more about his background, as I had no idea his career had been so varied. I also learned that there is such a thing as "theolinguistics", which I would love to know more about!

Spell It Out: The singular story of English spelling
Spell It Out: The singular story of English spelling

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 21 Jan 2014
David Crystal on language is always worth reading, and this book is no exception. His writing is clear, entertaining and articulate, and goes very thoroughly into the history of written English. His arguments are most convincing, too.

Richard III: His Life & Character [Illustrated]
Richard III: His Life & Character [Illustrated]
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but emotive, 2 Aug 2013
I've always been keen on the idea that Richard III was innocent of the crimes he was reviled for, especially the murder of his nephews. This book has some interesting insights into his character and behaviour.
I don't know if it stems from the time when it was written, but I found the overblown language, eg "vile traitor", "evil" and so on, rather irritating. I wasn't convinced by all the writer's arguments, and I think his emotive language was part of the reason; A more dispassionate approach would have served this frequently misjudged king rather better.