Profile for Lesley (My Keeper Shelf) > Reviews

Content by Lesley (My Kee...

Lesley (My Keeper Shelf) (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Owned By Fate (Entangled Brazen) (Serve)
Owned By Fate (Entangled Brazen) (Serve)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 Sep 2014
I always set aside time to devour the latest Tessa Bailey book the minute it comes out and I'm never disappointed. Her alpha males always hit the spot (he he) with a fabulous side order of dirty talk that I adore. Owned by Fate absolutely delivers its sexy, romantic and its got the feels I loved it!

Reckless (Renegades, Book 1)
Reckless (Renegades, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Aug 2014
I absolutely loved this! Great story, loved the connection and chemistry between Lexi and Jax and the sex positively sizzles. I need more pronto!

Cold Blooded: Book 3 in the Jessica McClain series
Cold Blooded: Book 3 in the Jessica McClain series

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 8 Oct 2013
The Jessica McClain series has been a favourite of mine since Full Blooded arrived in September 2012, it's the urban fantasy series if you like full on action packed tension with alpha wolves, witches and vamps added into the mix. Cold Blooded, the newest instalment out today proudly carries on that tradition of action galore which again had me gnawing my fingernails to the bone.

My main request after devouring Hot Blooded was that I wanted more "quality" Rourke and Jessica time. Cold Blooded absolutely delivers this. And it is scorching HAWT! Rourke really grew on me during Hot Blooded and I can safely say I'm in full blown love with him now. He has some of the best lines in Cold Blooded:

"He lowered his mouth against my ear and rasped, "I haven't denied myself anything in a thousand years. Resisting you is taking every ounce of everything I've got. My beast is clawing me from the inside out, fighting to make this official. All I can think about is throwing you down on the grass and taking you from every angle I possibly can. Repeatedly"

*Gulp* see what I mean? His absolute love for Jessica shines through everything he does in Cold Blooded, his need to bond with Jessica coupled with that protective mate thing he had going on was so deliciously good:

"Rourke broke the kiss and hovered over me anxiously, his eyes filled with the same longing as mine. "I haven't cared about another living soul in longer than I can remember. I want this to be exactly right."

Since the first instalment Full Blooded was released I've been desperately wanting to find out exactly what kind of shifter Rourke actually is. It's been hinted previously that Rourke is very, very old and close to godhood which Jessica explains is the ultimate mix of power and immortality for a supernatural creature. We finally find out exactly what Rourke is, and I loved it, I might have had to google it, but I loved it! He's clearly very different from the normal run of the mill shifter but it works because Jessica is no ordinary wolf shifter either. So bonus points for originality there!

I've come to expect a tonne of fast paced action from this series and Cold Blooded delivers this in spades to the point I actually felt quite tense reading it! Not only is Jessica still figuring out her "old soul" wolf and untapped powers, she has to deal with the threat of sorcerers working with demons who want to steal her life force and a hostile vampire queen who's protection she needs. Thank goodness for helpful ghosts, witches with spelled AK-47s and her beloved pack because Jessica is as always really up against it throughout.

It's a given that I'll be reading Jessica McClain #4 Red Blooded when it's released in 2014 as I absolutely love this series. Cold Blooded's cliff hanger-ish ending means further adventures and rescue missions for Jessica and her allies. I really can't wait to see more of Ray the ex-human cop and ex-pain in Jessica's ass, his job title has changed dramatically and has left me very intrigued and I'm also on the lookout for some other wolf romances in Jessica's pack. Honestly, I cannot wait. 5 out of 5.

Making It Last: A Novella (Camelot Series)
Making It Last: A Novella (Camelot Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Real and emotional, I loved it., 20 Sep 2013
I've loved Ruthie Knox's Camelot series so it's very fitting that the final instalment allows for a final check in with the first couple in the series Amber and Tony from the amazing How to Misbehave.

What really had me up past midnight reading Making It Last was that this is not the usual glimpse at a favourite couples happy ever after. Not at all. Instead Making It Last is a much more powerful and realistic look at a busy married couple with three boisterous kids, lacking in sleep, personal space and alone time ten years later when the romance has worn off and the hum drum has set in. And do you know what? it tugged at my heartstrings.

Ten years on with her youngest in school Amber's house feels very empty and with Tony working all hours for less money to keep them afloat Amber feels lost. She's a mother first with little time for herself never mind for Tony so when he catches her crying at a family wedding he offers her the chance of an extended stay at the posh resort. No kids, hassle free.

Back home with the kids terrified their parents are getting a divorce Tony realises that Amber hasn't had a break from the kids for six years and has become more and more distant and realises that he might actually be losing her. So, despite the huge financial pressure the family is under he goes back to the resort to bring her home but  neither of them really know how they can save their marriage.

I loved that when Tony first sees his wife at the bar with a new short hair cut, dress with another man chatting to her his initial fear is that she's having an affair, jealously rears it's ugly head and kind of spurs him into action. Seeing Amber politely turn down the guy at the bar he realises his fears are unfounded and approaches Amber as Steve a stranger meeting Jennifer (Amber) for the first time in a bar. Their round about flirty conversation had me tearing up at times, and I was literally holding my breath hoping that they could both lighten their burden with a little bit of fun and freedom. Honestly, I felt like I wanted to offer to babysit their kids to allow them some alone time, bonkers I know!

I have said it before, I do love everything Ruthie Knox has written but this one was just beyond special. Real and emotional Making It Last is a must read.

Perfect Fling: Serendipity's Finest Book Two (Serendipity's Finest series 2)
Perfect Fling: Serendipity's Finest Book Two (Serendipity's Finest series 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary romance heaven!, 19 Sep 2013
Perfect Fling is actually my first Carly Phillips book, I know where have I been? She's writes amazing contemporary romance and I love reading amazing contemporary romance so why she's never been on my radar I have no idea, but after devouring Perfect Fling I think I'm going to have a blast catching up with her back catalogue.

Assistant D.A. Erin Marsden is a sensible, smart, good girl but after watching all the loving couples at a wedding she heads to the bar looking for a little company for the night and comes across Cole Sanders. Cole was the town's resident bad boy after dropping out of the police academy before graduation he left town and surfaces only occasionally. After a drink or two Erin and Cole have a one night stand and low and behold three months later Erin not only finds out that's she's pregnant but that she has also become the target for some sort of crazy stalker. So when Cole finds out Erin is in danger the father to be steps in to protect her.

Ahhh Cole *le sigh* what can I say? What a guy! He's not the deadbeat drop out that everyone thinks he is and is actually an undercover cop in Manhattan often under deep cover for a year at a time. It drove me slightly crazy that Cole never corrected people about their lowly opinions of him. I got that it kind of suited him in that it stopped the nosey locals from asking questions about him but I honestly wanted to scream out loud on his behalf! I especially wanted to put his father straight especially since he had been outright cruel and nasty towards his son pretty much since childhood and as a result Cole just didn't think that he actually deserved a decent and nice woman like Erin in his life. After leading such a solitary life when Erin does come into Cole's life she's like a breath of fresh air to him that he didn't even realise he even needed.

I loved Erin's character too, she really sees something in Cole that no one else ever has and I loved her for it. Forced together whilst Erin's stalker is on the loose Cole steps in as the protector (getting more book boyfriend points from me- and he even cooks for her!) and they inevitably end up in bed together. Cole is however, honest with Erin telling her that he can't and won't commit to her so its up to the very determined Erin to change his mind.

I often find a lot of the current contemporary romance books are just too short for me, not so Perfect Fling. That extra length allowed both the story of the stalker to unfold and for Cole and Erin's initially forced relationship to change and grow. All in all Perfect Fling left me feeling a lot more satisfied as a reader and now I have the added bonus of discovering a whole Carly Philips back catalogue of books to devour, I might just be in contemporary romance heaven. 5 out of 5.

Just One Day
Just One Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, still can't get it out of my head!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Just One Day (Kindle Edition)
I read Gayle Forman's Just One Day on holiday a good few weeks ago and I've been unable to get it out of my head ever since. I loved Gayle's previous books If I Stay and Where She Went and can vividly remember sitting at my kitchen table bawling my eyes out with my daughters looking at me in a "Mummy's clearly went a bit mad what do we do" kind of way. Forman's books seem to be guaranteed to bring out all kinds of emotions for me.

Basically Just One Day is the story of Allyson "Lulu" Healey and Dutch boy Willem De Ruiter's short time together and the huge impact this one day had on Allyson. Allyson is a kind of straight laced American teenager, her tour of Europe has been a bit too touristy and therefore disappointing but this changes when she meets actor and traveller Willem and they connect in the most amazing way. He offers to take her to Paris for the day and show her the real Paris that the tour buses miss. Their one day in Paris which is full of fun and flirty adventures leads to one night together but when Allyson wakes up Willem has gone, as in really gone and he doesn't come back.

For me, the real story in Just One Day was how Allyson was absolutely wholeheartedly affected by their one day together. Not knowing what exactly happened to Willem or why he left her without even a thought leaves Allyson feeling she that couldn't have been enough for someone like Willem to stay with. Almost crawling into a little ball for protection, Allyson spends the next few months in her first year of college like a girl who has been devastated by a full on break up with long term boyfriend. Withdrawn, heartbroken and lost Allyson seems unable to enjoy her college experience and her once perfect grades are affected.

With the help of her only new friend Dee (who I loved to bits) thankfully Allyson gradually starts to come back to life and decides that she has to face her fears, go back to Paris and try to resolve the mystery of what happened to Willem. Without financial help from her parents Allyson first needs to get a job to pay for her trip and the French lessons she decides are necessary. I loved Allyson's gradual reawakening as she throws off her cautious, mousey pre-Paris self and finally grows a set! Her trip back to Paris isn't the tour bus trip, this time she's prepared, can speak French and isn't afraid of veering off the beaten track and befriending people along the way to help her on her quest.

For me a book is really, really special when I can make a list of swoon worthy scenes or quotes which sum up how amazing the book was for me and Just One Day has so many to choose from:

Double happiness- two halves finding each other,
Love being a stain,
Real travelling is getting lost in a city,
The next accident will send you somewhere new,
Taking real pictures on the barge trip along the Seine,
Lulu and Will on one bike cycling around Paris,
Seeing Shakespeare's As You Like It in the park,
Having a bucket list of paintings to see.

Just One Day is exactly the kind of beautiful but heart breaking YA book that I adore, Allyson's coming of age story literally swept me away and I'm still thinking about it weeks later. Willem really did change Allyson's life in one day but she managed to find herself again all by herself. I can't wait to see Willem's point of view when Just One Year is released on the 10th of October.

Shadows (Rephaim Book 3)
Shadows (Rephaim Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new series, 19 Sep 2013
A lot goes on in Shadows by Paula Weston but I have the feeling that this is a series which will be well worth following.

Gaby survived the car accident that her twin brother Jude died in and a year later she is still grieving and her memories of both the accident and their lives before the accident are still pretty much a blank.

After posting online some stories based on the strange and violent dreams she has been recently having one of the men from her dreams known as Rafa strangely arrives in Pan Beach and claims to both know her and her brother and demands to know how Jude died and why Gaby survived. With photographs on his phone to prove he was a friend of her brother Gaby can't understand why she has never even heard of Rafa and things get even stranger for Gaby when she is attacked by 2 other people who arrived out of nowhere but seem to know her and demand that she tells them why she betrayed them. Everyone seems to expect that Gaby will fight back but she doesn't know how and has to be eventually rescued by Rafa.

It becomes clear to Gaby that she's had a waaaay more interesting life than she previously thought in short, the life she thought she had in Pan Beach has all been a lie and that some unknown person has wiped her memories and created new ones for her.

See what I mean about a lot going on? It's here the world building in Shadows gets even more interesting. Basically, Semyala was the leader of the fallen angels and they broke out of hell 140 years ago and for a 48 hour period partied hard and impregnating virgin girls and then disappeared never to be found again despite a hoard of demons searching for them. The resulting offspring including Rafa, Gabe and Jude are immortal half angels who can shift from place to place in the blink of an eye and are known as the Rephaim. The Rephaim which seem to have divided into 2 factions with Gabe and her brother on opposing sides, continue to search for their fallen angels fathers willing to hand them over once found to the angelic host as way of convincing the angels that the Rephaim are not a threat to mankind unlike their fathers. I have to say once I got my head around all of this I was more than intrigued. I loved the little twist that Rafa and Jude appeared to be on one side with Gabe firmly on the other especially since Gabe now has to rely on Rafa until her memories come back their flirty frenemies relationship was particularly delicious especially with Gabe's ex-boyfriend still in the equation.

Overall, Shadows does suffer a little bit from the dreaded first in a series syndrome with quite a lot of necessary world building and character information. It took me a while to work out who was in what faction and why but in saying that, I really enjoyed the story. As I finished Shadows I had, like Gaby, a tonne of questions in my head. Who can Gaby really trust? Who wiped her memories and why? What has really happened to her brother? As a result I've already been straight off to Amazon to buy the next instalment Haze and I'm adding Shadows to my list of favourite Aussie YA books.

Blind Attraction (Reckless Beat Book 1)
Blind Attraction (Reckless Beat Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock star romance, 19 Sep 2013
Be prepared to fall for Mitchell Davies that's my advice. As you know if you are a regular at My keeper shelf, I have a certain fondness for rock star romances and even had a gigantic post highlighting my all time favourites, it's very safe to say that Blind Attraction will need to be added to my list. It was goooooood.

Alana has had a pretty sheltered upbringing as a result of the influence of her mother and her past experiences so she's quite innocent but open to spreading her wings a little bit further. When Alana catches the eye of Reckless Beat guitarist and rock god Mitch at a gig he has his sights firmly set on her and wants to find her after the band finish. When an ex-employee of the band lashes out after the gig Alana is caught in the crossfire and her eyesight is temporarily affected Mitch steps in to look after her because although he's a rock god guitarist he's also just that little bit swoon worthy. This of course gives Mitch and Alana plenty of quality alone time together.

For Mitch, Alana isn't the normal type of groupie in fact she's the anti-groupie that he really wants and for Alana, Mitch is her opportunity to experience a little bit of the real world (and he's a hot rock god- say no more!). With some really steamy scenes Blind Attraction kept me glued to the page and I defy anyone to read it and not fall for Mitchell Davies he's exactly the rock god character that I love. I can't wait for more Reckless Beat adventures. And look! Reckless Beat even have their own website now click here to see it and prepare to swoon.

Revealing Us (Inside Out Series Book 3)
Revealing Us (Inside Out Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disappointing, 19 Sep 2013
In the end I was a little bit disappointed with Revealing Us the third part in Lisa Renee Jones's Inside Out series for a couple of reasons. Firstly, my expectations were pretty high, and on reflection maybe too high. If I Were You and Being Me were so out of this world fantastic with twisty little plot turns that completely took me by surprise and I mean scrape my jaw off the floor surprised, so I think I expected something a bit more earth shattering from Revealing Us. Instead, Revealing Us kind of plodded along nicely for at least a good two thirds of the story and then all the good stuff happened right at the end. By then, I'd got a little bit bored but I was determined I would see it through just in case I missed something amazing at the end.

And that is my second issue. The trilogy is no longer a trilogy so it's not the end, in fact it's not even close. Grrrrrrrr. Now there's going to be a book 4 on the trial from Sara's point of view and then book 5 will be from Mark's point of view AND there's going to be a spin off series. What the hell? Normally I'd be dancing with glee that a series I love is going to be extended but in this instance I'm kind of not. I feel like the goal posts have changed half way through the game and I don't like it. Now, I know diddly squat about publishing and book deals so I'm only assuming that it's the popularity of the series that has allowed Lisa Renee Jones to continue with the series, but to me it feels like it has been dragged out a bit. I want a conclusion. Will I check out the next 5 billion instalments? Maybe, but I won't be reshuffling my TBR pile the same way I did for Being Me.

Play by Play (Play Makers Book 1)
Play by Play (Play Makers Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and full on sweet, 19 Sep 2013
Play by Play is the first Kate Donovan book I've picked up, with a sexy bod on the cover and the promise of a sports romance inside I'm pretty much sold already.

Jake Dublin aka The Opinionated Sports Guy has a sports blog growing in popularity especially when he mentions the "elevator girl" who has just moved into his building and caught his eye. His readers want more details but elevator girl Sophie has sworn off jocks for good and despite appreciating Jake's good looks and natural charm, memories of her previous crazy boyfriend and co-worker make her reluctant to dive into a new relationship.

Telling Jake that she's not interested in a sports obsessed boyfriend means that sports obsessed Jake has to tone down his love of football and he deliberately fudges telling her his surname so that she doesn't find out about his sports blog and the fact that Sophie is mentioned in said sports blog. As Jake digs himself into a bigger hole he can't seem to find the right time to confess all to Sophie and as he falls hard for her he has way more to loose than just a few readers on his blog.

Play by Play is a pretty sweet little sports romance novella. Jake isn't the usual domineering alpha male sports star I'm used to, he's more the average guy (albeit he's pretty hot) who in trying to get the girl of his dreams he ends up omitting a few important details along the way. He's not a bad guy though, in fact he's pretty charming and funny and I was rooting for him to get his HEA.

Overall, I like it. It's short and full on sweet but definitely worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7