1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
What a fabulous piece of tech, 15 July 2011
I just love it when I by a new gadget that does everything that I require of it. So many things simply don't work to its upmost.
I first bought a kindle for my son. He loved it. Of course I wanted to see what this device was about too so had a quick go too. It simply surpassed everything that I had expected of it:-
- Extremely clear text - I honestly thought that there was sticker on the screen initially with proper ink text
- In bright sunlight it is even easier to read. No Glare!!
- Light, portable and easily accessible buttons
- stupendously easy to set-up, then download books
- battery lasts forever - even when wireless is left on
- Experimental web browser is superb. Yes it is slow but it works reasonably well for Facebook and Twitter
- Even the inbuilt "Voice Reader" works well and doesn't sound too electronic
- If you find text sizes too small then just increase font size
I would have given this just 4 out of 5, because the screen on this first kindle failed. The dreaded lines appeared on it and would not be budged. however, 5 out of 5 is retained!!! Amazon were amazing - ring them, tell them what has happened, they send another one THE NEXT DAY, you then advise them when it will be convenient for DHL to pick up your old one. Seriously, this was top notch service.
We have since found out that the really expensive covers with the metal binders are the things that cause the screen issues. Just beware of that.
Since then (8 months ago) no problems.
Now my wife and I have one each. My in-laws and father have got them. We all love them.
I bet you like the feel and interaction with a proper book?? Same here. But carrying a kilo of books on holiday and filling out my hand luggage??? Having to hold back wadges of paper when in the middle of a heavyweight book? Why?
This is simple to use and navigate. You just read and easily too.