ARRAY(0x10bb42ac)

Profile for A. Browne > Reviews

Content by A. Browne

A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The Shadow of the Sun: My African Life
The Shadow of the Sun: My African Life
by Ryszard Kapuscinski

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Africa, 17 Oct 2012
I found this book hard to get started . The prose was too lyrical and fanciful for the mood i was in . I am delighted i persevered . This is the most incredible story of Africa . Nobody cmes out of this easily. The former colonial powers , the charities , the new African regimes they are all corrupt and venal and amidst all this distress the people continue to live and continue with their lives. There are chapters which are pure poetry particularly the chapter on the Somali nomads and the idea of being alone in the world and the simple pleasures of water , food and shelter . This book deals with the minutae of life , the importance today of the plastic water container. Other chapters deals with the tribal politics of Rwanda or the madness of Amin in profound detail. This is an incredible distillation of the author's experiences of Africa. Before any world politician makes any pronouncement about the need for aid to Africa or what we in the west can or cannot do he should read this book. The rest of us should just read it. Knowledge is power .

HDMIKing- 2 Meter (6.6 ft) HDMI KING Gold Plated, High Speed HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ferrite Cores [Fuss-Free Packaging]
Offered by RightPriceUK

5.0 out of 5 stars hdmi cable does what i want, 17 Oct 2012
I am using this cable to connect my laptop to my tv screen . I can watch rte player and 4OD on a decent screena and I can catch upon stuff i missed. The quality of picture and sound are fine . Job done

Mayhem
Mayhem
by J. Robert Janes

4.0 out of 5 stars I think my copy was incomplete, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mayhem (Paperback)
I fear my copy of this book had a few chapters missing as the characters did some abrupt scene changes , although the page numbering is correct. Apart from this the book was fantastic. Great characters, wonderful sense of time and place ,and a very clever plot. The protagonists , the inspector from the Surete Jean Louis St Cyr and his colleague Hermann Kohler from the Gestapo, investigate the murder of a young man in the forest near Fontainebleu. They seem to run foul of everybody including the resistance and the SS. The prose is dense , there is a lot going on and you need to keep your wits about you as you try to keep up with what is happening to each of the protagonists. If you want to leave detective lite aside for a while and enjoy a well plotted mystery then this is the book for you. If you are looking for something light and frothy look elsewhere.

Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins
Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins
by Rupert Everett

4.0 out of 5 stars camper than a bell tent, 17 Oct 2012
This memoir of Rupert Everett is funny ,sad, life enhancing and an absolute giggle. The first thing to realise that having heard Rupert Everett speak you hear every line of this ,in your inner ear as you read it, in his distinctive manner. The only other author to achieve this is Garrison Keillor. ( There's are a pairing to challenge the imagination) The story of his life from childhood, stage school, theatre, modelling and movies is accompanied by the most varied and well known cast of characters. The events are told in an everyday manner in which the humour is not forced from the broad strokes of dealing / coping / loving his homosexuality to the dark humour of the onset of AIDS among his friends and lovers. The manner in which he deals with the slings and arrows of life would make Kipling proud. He just gets on with life .
The book is not just a giggle fest as he deals with his experiences of famine in Africa , chaos in Haiti , the changing face of Russia and AIDS . He admits to his own selfishness with a candour that most people could not replicate.
This is one of the most enjoyable memoirs I have read and I look forward to the next volume.

No News at Throat Lake
No News at Throat Lake
by Lawrence Donegan

2.0 out of 5 stars he thinks he is funnier than i do, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: No News at Throat Lake (Paperback)
This book has a great premise , world weary guardian journalist goes back to family roots to live in Creeslough and works for local paper so obscure that i have never read it.It is just a story about life in rural Donegal no funnier , nor more amusing nor intersting than day to day life here. No laugh out loud moments and no little chuckles. This is my second time reading this book, this time for my book club it is worse secnd time around. It will be interesting to get feedback from others. I was bored , Lawrence Donegan did not make me feel even the slightest bit interestested in his life or predicament. He got out of there so fast that one gets the feeling that his contract had been fulfilled. Somewhere he is compared to a young Bill Bryson..... in his dreams!!!!

1st to Die (Womens Murder Club 1)
1st to Die (Womens Murder Club 1)
by James Patterson

3.0 out of 5 stars conflicted, 9 Oct 2012
This book is ideally suited to people with short attention spans ,i think every chapter is three pages long. It can be easily picked up and put down .Picking it up again can be a struggle . There are just so many better things to read. There are some terrible cliches and some very intersting twists. Characterisation is a bit thin . I dont feel for the characters and dont really care what happens to them because I dont know what drives them. I dont know if i will ever read another one and i was given the next six in the series along with this one.

A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
by Amy Bloom

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful collection, 9 Oct 2012
This book of short stories is a wonderful exploration of the many states of love. hetrosexual love,lesbian love familial love ,incestuous love and parental love . It is not a bundle of laughs some of it is very hard on the spirit but at the end I wanted to read it all over again. It is wonderfully well written . There is a subtlelty and deftness of touch, this is as close to literature as I get. I can recommend this book to people without the slightest hint of self ego . I can do it without it appearing as if i am trying to impress with my being well read. This is a book for all who enjoy a good read.

A Blind Man's War (Charlie Bassett)
A Blind Man's War (Charlie Bassett)
by David Fiddimore

4.0 out of 5 stars say it aint so, 9 Oct 2012
I have read a few of the charlie bassett novels and have skipped to the end of the series (or so it would appear)I love the style of writing and the characters.I am still at a loss as to why the authorities bring Charlie to Cyprus to earwig on the saudi's ( this has nothing to do with the story ) Perhaps it was just to bring Charlie to Cyprus in the midst of yet another British colonial style blunder ( declare personal interest at this point my father's best frend died in Cyprus and it could just as easily have been him and then you would not be reading my dubious thoughts)
Anyway enjoyed the story , sad it seems to be end of the series ( Mister Fiddimore please get something published soon as i would like to see what else you can do) and I intend to read the ones I missed. I would recommed the stories to those who enjoy easy reading and exploring our past without getting too jingoistic

Measuring the World
Measuring the World
by Daniel Kehlmann

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite measuring up, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Measuring the World (Paperback)
This book discusses the life and achievement of two very different men Carl Gauss and Alexander Von Humboldt. One never left germany and was a veritable mathematical genius and the other was driven to travel the world making the most amazing measurements of the physical world. I enjoyed the book as it dragged me through the lives of these two very different men . Then in the last chapters it all got a little meta physical and i thought i had droped into 'at swim two birds ' as the characters seem to inhabit each others lives. It all got a bit too much for me . Perhaps because it is desribed by some as fiction and i was treating it as biography . It's not hilarious and I certainly did not laugh out loud. Unsettling but certainly an interesting introduction to two incredible minds.

The Suicide Shop
The Suicide Shop
by Jean Teulé

4.0 out of 5 stars The lighter side of suicide, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Suicide Shop (Paperback)
This is a very small book which i stumbled on by accident. It is very funny dealing with a family who run a shop which caters for would be suicides in some undated future. Suspend belief and enjoy the tale of this family and their unfeasibly good humoured youngest child. I started this book yesterday evening and finshed it in the early hours of the morning having awoken remembering a good friend who is long gone. Thanks for cheering me up , when i finished this book, i went to sleep feeling better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19