Profile for A. Browne > Reviews

Content by A. Browne

A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
Midnight Fugue
Midnight Fugue
by Reginald Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars a tune to relish, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Midnight Fugue (Paperback)
Reginald Hill is in great form with this story . There is subtle change of power after Andies recent near death experience. However he has lost none of his customary wit and wisdom. There is a new depth to Andy Dalziel as he has become more aware of his mortality and dare i say it his fallibility. Peter Pascoe is developing more respect for himself and does not feel him self to be under the shadow of the great man. One of the great strengths of this series is the ever changing dynamics of the characters.
I love it when i catch one of many allusions to something outside my own sophere of knowledge , which just makes me more aware of how little i do know. Still we learn something new evey day i hope!

The Price of Love
The Price of Love
by Peter Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars liked rather than loved, 16 May 2012
This review is from: The Price of Love (Paperback)
Must confess straight off i am a big Peter Robinson fan. I love the inspector robinson novels. These stories were generally good. Short stories are a hard form to master. Some of these come off as commisions to please publishers or friends. The highlights for me were Eastvale ladies poker circle, walking the dog,shadow on the water, the cherub affair. This gives me a score of 4/9 the other were merely adaquate passing tales. Looking forward to next Ispector Bank's novel.

The Devil's Star: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 3)
The Devil's Star: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 3)
by Jo Nesbo

2.0 out of 5 stars two stars and you are lucky, 16 May 2012
I am reading the Jo Nesbo books in order and i loved redbreast and nemesis. I am very glad i did not read this one first or i would have given up on them straight away. I will certainly give Jo Nesbo another go but be warned dont let me down again. The protagonist Harry Hole is becoming a cliche and i am wearying of his drinking, inabilty to have any kind of sustainable relationship, and his brilliant detective abilities. Even when he screws up he doesn't really. So glad The Prince storyline resolved , one less cliche to cope with . This book had some very clever plotting but something let it down for me and that was Harry Hole and i should not feel that way about the hero , no matter how seedy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2012 10:37 AM BST

The Odin Mission
The Odin Mission
by James Holland

2.0 out of 5 stars Norway leaves me cold this time, 16 May 2012
This review is from: The Odin Mission (Hardcover)
This book makes me realise that i have grown up and stories like this should stay as commando comics and not be written down and passed off on weary old men. Jack Tanner is just too good to be true he is a perfect shot , fearless leader, never makes a mistake. I am afraid that i need my heros to be believable , and they have to have some failings ( smoking doesn't count).
The plot was fairly minimal and there did seem to be a lot of repitition , slog through snow , have a small fight with enemy , win , escape and plod through snow again. If i read about the adaption made to his rifle to suit his old dad's scope once i felt i read it a dozen times.
I found the historical details of interest . Was the British Army really this ill prepared?. Thank heavens i could get all the right kit for my 'action man' when i needed it and perhaps i should have read this book when i was 10 . Unfortunately i have grown up and i have better things to read than Jack Tanner stories.

The Forgotten Waltz
The Forgotten Waltz
by Anne Enright

2.0 out of 5 stars certainly dont want to join in this waltz again, 16 May 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Waltz (Paperback)
I dont know what all the fuss is about this book . I could not engage with the characters.I found myself not caring about any of the protagonists. Gina the narrator seems to be looking for our support but she had an affair with Sean , a serial womaniser. Sean's wife comes across as neurotic but the 'other woman' is unlikely to paint the woman she has wronged in any kind of favourable light. Sean's daughter Evie and her epilepsey seems thrown in to add another aspect to the story but i could not find myself feeling any sympathy for this spoilt child caught up in the middle of her parents marital breakdown. Much is made of the end of the celtic tiger but i just found it oddly convenient that one can leave your husband and marital home , inherit your deceased mother's house so that your lover has a door to turn up at. I could not see any reason why Gina had an affair with Sean other than she could , and damn the consequences. I can see why people say Anne enright is a great writer, plenty of evidence of that but just no evidence that i should want to read her books.

Sing You Home
Sing You Home
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite home with this one, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Sing You Home (Paperback)
Jodi Picoult once again approaches a hot button topic. I enjoyed the book,which was easy reading and did not place too much of a strain on the reader. I found some of the characters to be a little two dimensional and could not really relate to any one of the principal characters. The time scale seemed a little rushed lose baby, lose husband, find lesbian partner ( not being aware that one might be lesbian), decide to get married to new partner and want to have child with her. There are some very lyrical parts and the author can turn a fine phrase. The ending was little too much of a compromise every body won. After all it was a property issue , could they not just have taken an embryo each. I could see me reading more by Jodi Picoult but i would have to consider the topic ratehr than just reading a book by a favourite author who i can always depend on.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2012 4:41 PM BST

Rules of War (Jack Steel 2)
Rules of War (Jack Steel 2)
by Iain Gale

2.0 out of 5 stars light entertainment, 27 Oct. 2011
This is not one of the best historical fiction books that i have ever read . It is light entertainment, it passes a quick hour of two and i think that is approximately how long it will stay in my book collection. It is sub - sharpe. My father pointed out the plot is reminiscent of something by sharpe, he named the book. I should have let him read the book first and i would have been less disappointed. We need some outstanding author in this field i am still looking. I have the next one in the book case i am in no hurry to read it but i wont chuck it out without giving it a go.

Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
by Anna Funder

5.0 out of 5 stars this book also speaks about modern germany, 27 Oct. 2011
Excellent book , what an amazing depiction of peoples experiences in GDR . I would recommend this book to every one , to get a picture of life and the choices people had to make before the wall fell. It also points to the difficulty west germans have with ossies. Now there are two elephants in the rom when germans talk about recent history, nazism and east german totalitarianism.
This is second book I have read which had won BBC radio award in non fiction . Samuel Johnson award. Books this good would encourage one to read more non fiction.

The Slap
The Slap
by Christos Tsiolkas

2.0 out of 5 stars I feel like slapping the author, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Slap (Paperback)
I am deeply ambiguous about this book . Parts of it were excellent and parts of it were pure soap opera and not in a good way . It was not even due to the multiple narrator frame work it just was not as good as it could have been . If you are looking for multiple narrator framework try Larry McMurtry `leaving Cheyenne'. I could see how it would work for a book club as different people would get different things out of it depending on their own background. Unfortunately it did very little for me. I did stick with it until the end just not sure if I did the right thing.

The Zanzibar Chest: A Memoir of Love and War
The Zanzibar Chest: A Memoir of Love and War
by Aidan Hartley

5.0 out of 5 stars A chest fullof stories, 27 Oct. 2011
Wow in this wonderful book Aidan Hartley interspaces his own life story with that of one of his father's friends who died before Aidan was born . He manages to depict life in 1940s Africa and Arabia as well as to give us some of the most harrowing tales from modern day Somalia and Rwanda. He manages this without sickening us although some details may haunt you for while. This is essential reading for any one tryig to come to terms with the results of the actions of the west in Africa and Arabia.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20