Profile for A. Browne > Reviews

Content by A. Browne

A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Growing Up in the Gorbals: The Ralph Glasser Omnibus
Growing Up in the Gorbals: The Ralph Glasser Omnibus
by Ralph Glasser
Price: 7.96

3.0 out of 5 stars before my time, 25 Jun 2012
I read this book because I knew the area as a child in the 60s. I found the jewish eastern european experience to be that of a different community, that had seemed to have moved on from the area . I suppose they had moved to better areas in socio economic terms. I found parts of the book to be very interesting and quite vivid. At other points the author gets almost philisophical and I got fed up, the book seemed to be drowning under it's verbiage. Another reviewer draws parallels with Jeff Torrington's "swing hammmer swing" I dont see the connection other than cities. The latter book is far superior in my opinion. This book seems to me to be a product of it's time, reading it as memoir of another time and place , it seems sadly dated.

Field Grey: A Bernie Gunther Novel (Bernie Gunther Mystery 7)
Field Grey: A Bernie Gunther Novel (Bernie Gunther Mystery 7)
by Philip Kerr

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing grey about Bernie or is there, 14 Jun 2012
In Field Grey , we go through some more of Bernie Gunther's war service by virtue of a number of interviews in a number of prisons. In a short period of time he falls foul of the US Military, CIA, French Security, Russian, East German , other german prisoners of war and ...... ( i am sure i missed somebody ) We do a lot of jumping to and fro over time from 1940 to 1954 and thanks to Philip Kerr's writing i did not feel mixed up or lost. I enjoyed this more than 'if the dead rise not' even if the story was a little disjointed. As always great period feel, a great hero conflicted about his past. As always a true survivor. I cant wait for the 'Prague Fatale'

16 X Game Card Catridge Case For DS/Dsi/NDS Lite UK
16 X Game Card Catridge Case For DS/Dsi/NDS Lite UK
Offered by Digibuys
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars cartridge case, 5 Jun 2012
This is cheap and cheerful, it holds the games safe. Sometimes the clip does not stay closed, sometimes it does. I am happy with it for the money paid

Be Cool
Be Cool
by Elmore Leonard
Price: 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling with chili palmer and Elmore, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Be Cool (Paperback)
I have not found an Elmore Leonard novel that i have not enjoyed yet. The smart dialogue , fast action and imaginative plots are all here. Yet i feel this book is just a vehicle written with an actor in mind to play a roll. A novelisation of a movie yet to be made. Chili Palmer explores the music world and whatever its faults it is a great book which beats 90% of the pretenders to Elmore's crown. I just wish it was better

Guerra
Guerra
by Jason Webster
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Jason Webster can do better, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Guerra (Paperback)
Jason Webster can do better . His book Duende in which he explores and details his search for the spirit of flamenco is a labour of love. Guerra is a flimsy retelling of the Spanish Civil war as a background for a trip around modern spain. He shows that the pact of silence exists but he does not show us how it can be overcome.
This book reads as if it is a matter of fulfilling a contract with a publisher.

Spies of the Balkans
Spies of the Balkans
by Alan Furst

4.0 out of 5 stars a greece really facing austerity, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Paperback)
This is a good story. With an appealing hero,in Costa Zannis , just the right side of common humanity. A man dealing with difficult events in difficult times. It is a wonderful evocation of another time and place. I cannot speak to the veracity of every written word but i enjoyed every minute of the story.

The plot summarised in greek policeman helps to build up escape pipeline out of nazi germany for jews. He doesn't save many but if you save just one person more it is a victory.

In many ways not a lot happens in an Alan Furst novel, but they are to be read and savoured for the minor little details that just carry us along . Pure Escapism

Eye of the Red Tsar (Inspector Pekkala)
Eye of the Red Tsar (Inspector Pekkala)
by Sam Eastland

3.0 out of 5 stars good adventure but no great mystery, 30 May 2012
The tsars infallible detective eds up working for Stalin. As if Stalin would trust him and he trust Stalin. Then again lets suspend our world weary scepticism and enjoy a bit of an adventure.
There are some well written descriptions of being isolated in snow bound country i just cant imagine being left alone under the Gulag system ( there i go again introducing reality)
Luckily when i was reading the book i was in the mood to go along for th ride only occasionally saying this is all bunkum.

Not the most invoving of stories but it passed an hour or two. I will not be searching out any more of the inspector Pekkala books but i would read one if it came along and i had nothing else to hand.

Paradise With Serpents: Travels in the Lost World of Paraguay
Paradise With Serpents: Travels in the Lost World of Paraguay
by Robert Carver
Price: 7.51

3.0 out of 5 stars slippery stuff, 30 May 2012
If you want to understand Paraguay read 'at the tomb of the inflatable pig' by John Gimlette. I kept asking myself how did this country change so much between the two books it was only three years. To judge by other reviews it did not they seem to put it all down to the fevered imagination of the author. I dont know the place well enough to comment. I found the book to be very interesting when discussing the country's jesuit past ,particularily their settlements. It really brought the movie 'The Mission ' to life even if it was set in Brazil.
The many strange groups who set up in Paraguay are discussed / glossed over i just felt there was so much more the author could be telling us i do not know if this is reticence or lack of knowledge.Either way it is annoying.
I found some of his travels to be interesting and other bits were a case of why bother. It was as if the author was trying to make it interesting and just coming up short.
In summary good in parts but better books out there.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson
Price: 3.86

1.0 out of 5 stars thrillers should be thrilling, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book won the CWA award as best debut novel , then it must have been a very bad year for debut novels. Thrillers should be thrilling.For the first 300 pages of 370 pages it was so slow, repetitive , dull and boring.
As others have pointed out the many flaws in the story i will not add to the long list. ( Oh i cant help myself . Really I cannot believe the police could not catch the man who attacked christine the first time. The hospital released her to somebody who said he was her husband. She could write the journal in secret at night with possesive 'husband'in the house and he just let her go and sit in her room alone. ) I hoped that there would be some clever twist at the end , no there was not, instead we got the scooby doo ending with villain dying (or did he please god don't let there be a sequel)My advice to readers is dont waste your time with this. Good luck to SJ Watson with next book i am sorry to be so damning but i do not see what all the fuss about this book is.

The Bad News Bible
The Bad News Bible
by Anna Blundy

3.0 out of 5 stars good news from a modern girl, 16 May 2012
This review is from: The Bad News Bible (Hardcover)
This book ticks many boxes ,unusual locale, chirpy protagonist, interesting plot fairly current particularily if i had read the book sooner. This book passed afew hours for me happily and i would be glad to read the next book in the series but it did not grab me or have me rushing out to procur the next book. i found some of the characters to be a little too out there but i gather that many foreign news correspondants are just that. I would say this is a 'grand' book and i may be damning it with faint praise.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20