Profile for mostlyharmless > Reviews

Content by mostlyharmless

mostlyharmless

Page: 1 | 2
Top 10 Marrakech [With Map] (DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides)
Top 10 Marrakech [With Map] (DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides)
by Andrew Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful guidebook, 11 Oct. 2014
We used this book all the time that we were in Marrakech. Lots of essential information and lots of good ideas for the must sees. List of restaurants less useful as they are so hard to find. More detailed information for sights such as Majorelle Gardens is very worthwhile. Also used guide to select a tour in the Atlas Mountains. The pullout map is a brilliant plus.
We do always buy Dorling Kindersley guides wherever we go, but the Marrakech top ten is the most well used guidebook we have bought. An excellent buy for a few days in Marrakech!

MiniSun Branded 3W Super Bright GU10 LED Bulb with 60 x 3527 SMD LEDs - 420 Lumens - Warm White
Offered by The Light Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars LED bulbs with wattage options, 28 Aug. 2014
I am giving these LED bulbs 4 stars as they seem reliable after 6 months usage. I have been very disappointed with some brands - even reputable German brands - that just don't last. When you spend £5 per bulb you expect them to last. Many don't. These mini sun bulbs seem reliable (so far). They give a warm light and I now choose a really low wattage (3w) as they seem definitely bright enough.

Depend Pants Super Small/Medium Male - 18 x Pack of 4
Depend Pants Super Small/Medium Male - 18 x Pack of 4
Offered by Choice Shops Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 23 July 2014
Fit well, can be used independently easily. Good value.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 11 July 2014
I don't know how J K Rowling does it but she draws you into the world of Cormoron Strike until you are totally absorbed. I 'm usually not a fan of detective stories or who dunnits but this story is more than that. I loved the descriptions of the London setting - an area I know - and found the insights into the conflicts within publishing fascinating. My only complaint is the number of characters the reader has to get to grips with - not quite as many as in The Casual Vacancy but still enough to make me have to keep notes of the main suspects. The characters are mainly grotesque and unsympathetically painted - nobody apart from the main two characters are given any real depth.
The relationship between Strike and Robin is at the heart of the story.
The writing style is occasionally clumsy but the book has a certain magic to it. I was sad to finish the book and can't wait for the next.

This Boy
This Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating autobiography, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I did expect more politics but it was only about Alan Johnson's life upto about the age of 20. Having read previous reviews in the press I already knew the bare bones of the story of his childhood - but I loved the detailed tales of a deprived area of London. I am of a similar age and also lived in London at this period, so I enjoyed the descriptions of the streets of London in the 50s and 60s.
It is a shocking story in many ways. I can only applaud Alan Johnson and his heroic sister for surviving that hard childhood and thriving.
This is a well written autobiography that keeps you enthralled and is one of the best books I've read recently. Highly recommended.

Ecosusi Breathable Travel Packing Cubes, Small to Large 3-Bags Value Set, Length 12 to 18 inches, Fit 21 inch Carry on Suitcase
Offered by ECOSUSI INC

5.0 out of 5 stars Organise your packing, 27 Jan. 2014
I bought these for my daughter who is a flight attendant and so lives out of a suitcase. These packs have good quality two way zips and have mesh panels to allow airflow. A good buy if you travel a lot.

SEBSON® GU10 3W LED, Warm White, 25W Replacement for Light Bulb, 260lm, 110º Beam Angle
Offered by SEBSON

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm light LED bulbs, 27 Jan. 2014
Efficient service fast delivery well packaged. I bought 5 of these 3 watt LED bulbs to replace some "compact fluorescent loop" type bulbs in the kitchen. They work well - warm up instantly. I also tried them to replace GU10 halogens in some spotlights. They fitted in both types of light fitting and gave a yellow light- softer light than other LEDs I have bought. Will probably buy more soon. I have found LED bulbs don't keep blowing like halogen ones as well as being much cheaper to run.

Monsoon Memories
Monsoon Memories

5.0 out of 5 stars Family secrets, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Monsoon Memories (Kindle Edition)
Set in contemporary London and India, we follow the search by ten year old Reena to solve the mystery of her missing aunt. Why does no-one ever mention her. Meanwhile, in London Shirin is agonisingly homesick for Bangalore and her family.
The characters are well drawn and the delicate descriptions bring the two contrasting settings alive. It is a compelling story. Recommended.

PowerBee ® Signaller Solar Security Light with 28 latest technology large Superbright led's / Movement Activated / Adjustable PIR / Directional PIR / Directional lighting / Designed to work ALL year round in the UK
Offered by PowerBee Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful solar light, 8 Jan. 2013
Easy to put up. Can adjust the angle of the spotlight. The solar panel can be sited a few metres from the light. The adjustments for length of time on, darkness sensitivity and movement sensitivity are easy to access.
The solar panel comes fully charged and is good enough to generate powerful light even in the gloom of December. So far so good. Might buy another for a different location. Recommended.

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
by Louisa Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and affecting, 10 Feb. 2012
In 1914 eighteen year old Riley enlists and finds himself amongst the mud and blood of the battlefields of Northern France and Flanders. This is essentially a love story about two people divided by social class and by the war. The book examines the themes of love, class divisions in Edwardian Britain and on the battlefield, homosexuality, the role of women and the development of medicine and surgery.

Descriptions of the futile, nightmarish advances over the top, the constant presence of death and the need to maintain morale are both appalling and engrossing. Some of the descriptions of rehabilitation are unbearably uncomfortable. Lives are torn apart by the horrors of war, different characters are affected in very different ways - can these lives ever be rebuilt?

This is a well written and well structured novel. It has been thoroughly researched, is loosely based on facts and can be compared favourably with modern classics about the First World War such as Sebastian Faulkes' Birdsong, Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy and Ian McEwan's Atonement.

This is a story that will stay with me. I definitely recommend it as an emotional and thought provoking read.

Page: 1 | 2