Profile for Phase58 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
In Pieces
In Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars The lighter side of the Mafia - Part 2, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: In Pieces (Kindle Edition)
This again following on from the last book was hilarious in places but had much more serious content. I loved Nana, and when she, Christopher, Charlie et al get together you know its going to be fun. Great read, but it left a few unfinished issues which may well be covered in another book which if I were a betting person I'd say Hunter warrants a story of his own. I actually laughed out loud at CR's fathers name, it was utterly hilarious, but CR had such a sad life. A fantastical tale but utterly lovely and I never wanted the story to end. Miss it and miss out.

Going Home
Going Home

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for a taboo subject, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Going Home (Kindle Edition)
Hmm, I have just read the other reviews before doing my own, really to see their reaction. Obviously a well written book and you can certainly tell its a masculine hand and the subject matter....probably not what I was expecting but it didn't disgust me or put me off. I did however, find it hard to swallow. Yeah, I suppose it goes on but I tried to put myself in that position and really - no way could I envisage it. The characters were hot as was the sex and I shall read more by this author. I did really enjoy the epilogue, very nice touch and quite sad really.
I admit it was a sympathetically handled subject but for me it was also a slightly unbelievable one, especially being consensual. I suppose that may be me being naive, you never know what happens behind closed doors.

Red Dirt Heart 3 (Red Dirt Heart Series)
Red Dirt Heart 3 (Red Dirt Heart Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair dinkum, 19 Oct 2014
Continuing the tale of Travis and Charlie, great little read and thoroughly enjoyable, loved it, but....it felt like a filler if you know what I mean. They have each other, the outback is coming to terms with two gay men and the rest was, although lovely to read; things did happen, but I think it lacked the excitement of the previous two books, but then you can't have the honeymoon period forever can you?
I love this author and I would love to see a book 4 (Pretty please) where hopefully Charlie will blossom further. These books are just great to read, I love Charlie and Trav's relationship, just love it, and you get to know not just them and their lives but those of the people who live and work at Sutton Station. More, more more - please, but I think it may have run its natural course, but you never know - fingers crossed.

Feral
Feral

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly lovely, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Feral (Kindle Edition)
Lovely. I've just read the other reviews and they didn't give the tale away so I shall stick to that, but it kinda alters my rave! This was fab, two elements of my fave things to read about, guys and....the other thing! This was well written and slightly different from other books with this particular subject but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I too hope there will be a sequel, if only for the drippy Donnie to have it rubbed in his face. I want to go to that lake house and live in the solitude, it sounds wonderful, my idea of heaven. Great read and I am now going to work thru this authors works, not yet been disappointed and doubt I will be.

All In
All In

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully amusing and hot to boot!, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: All In (Kindle Edition)
This was just so refreshingly amusing, I loved the way it was written and it had me smiling most of the way through - whether the humour was intentionally or not; from that very first date with Dante up until he went off to Sicily. Grandma was an absolute hoot and I could just picture her, and lovely Christopher Robin, how my heart bleeds for that boy. This was just brilliant from beginning to happy end.
I don't want to give the story away, the blurb explains, but I was swayed by the cover of this book. Charlie was such a sweetie, how wonderful to have such a positive view of life, even if your boyfriend is in the Mafia, this was a treat to read, and I encourage you to see if I'm right!

Three's Company
Three's Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Equilateral - if I know my triangles!, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Three's Company (Kindle Edition)
What a sweet little story. Poor Wil, living his closeted life in Redneck Alabama, meets the perfect couple when on holiday - alone, and wants it. Who can blame him really? When you see two people who have eyes for only each other, you want that for yourself. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would but I wanted more comeuppance for the deeply closeted Rod. Serves him right though, you never know what you got till it's gone, never a truer word.
It grieves me that middle and small town America still have such blinkered views, not just homophobic but intolerant of anything different. People should live and let live.
Lovely light read, mostly happy, another good one from NRW.

Consent (Power Exchange Book 3)
Consent (Power Exchange Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great third episode, 12 Oct 2014
I would actually have awarded 4.5 stars, but there are no halves. I read the previous 2 books ages ago and re-read them so i could remember the storyline. Buying it without reading any reviews or the blurb I expected this to be a nice little titillating tale about Ben and Gavin's D/s relationship. I was so wrong.
Unfortunately I seem to have read a few books of late about human trafficking. I don't think I'll be reading more. This one was not as shocking as the others but it leaves one with a sour taste. I abhor the thought that these practices go on, not just to young boys but girls too and third world people trying to make a better life for themselves.
The plot was like something from a film, it was great and it had you on the edge of your seat and Myah was a great character, who, despite her ordeal, came out the other end a survivor. Although if it were me I'd want the boss to live a long time before I finished with him.
Excellent read, but I wanted more from the ending, I wanted more about Brady, I expected him to be 'adopted' by Myah and not go to Ben and Gavin. The one sad thing was Marshall, he deserved so much more. The play of emotions was brilliant too, and s much as I enjoyed the sex I wouldn't have thought there would have been much if any given the desperate situation. it seems as if the DiGrassi family might have a HEA, but you never know...... I thought that about the previous book!

Bad Things
Bad Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good Bad Things, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Bad Things (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderfully moving story. At first I thought this was going to be an awful tale of trafficking and prostitution, and then when Xavier got his hooks into Carson it all changed. The things Xavier did - wow, and his reasons for doing them. I have to admit it turned me on incredibly, it was so powerful, the writing so descriptive, I could almost feel Carson's fear and his need.
This is such a great piece of writing, but then it almost appeared to be three stories. The abusive Max and his vile business, then we have Xavier and Carson who morph into Aidan and Dario and Carson, all beautifully expressive, and the back story of Xavier's sister's rape, which is the whole reason for the tale.
I sincerely hope that Varian produces more in the m/m genre because this was utterly brilliant.

Driftwood
Driftwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Damage Control, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Driftwood (Kindle Edition)
Wow. This was a brilliant but tough read. The two main characters were so painfully flawed by the events of their lives its a wonder either of them survived. But survive they did. The picture of the Cornish landscape Harper paints is wonderful, Kynance Cove where I spent halcyon holidays, the pounding surf, the flowers covering the moors, the scent of the sea. Wonderfully evocative. And damaged Tom, trying desperately to recover from PTSD and return to some form of normalcy; Flynn punishing himself and being punished by the man who professes (eventually) to love him for an act he had no recollection of and was not responsible for. This book is filled with pain and suffering that long term depression and guilt brings. The story puts the reader through an emotional wringer but you come out at the end better for it.
This story was brilliant, I've never been disappointed by Harper Fox, her stories are deep, full of character, emotionally and physically descriptive and are set in locations most British readers can identify with.
There is one downside to this book, nothing to do with the story, but the awful cover - neither of the characters portrayed would in anyone's imagination look remotely like them!! The rest of it is brilliant, and I love Belle, another damaged creature who fits so seamlessly with Tom and Flynn.

Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin Book 3)
Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars The last huggy wuggy, 3 Oct 2014
All the books in this trilogy were equally readable and had a happy vibe to them. It was happy, happy, happy all the way with very few upsets and it turned out well in the end as one would hope. I love them all and would have been very happy if they were just one book. Its the kind of read that make you want to smile and for it to be real. I love a happy ever after. Sorry, lots of use of the word happy, can't help it, thats the way it is!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20