Profile for Alan Russell > Reviews

Content by Alan Russell

Alan Russell "Alan" (Wellington, New Zealand)

The Santo Spirito Blues
The Santo Spirito Blues
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 21.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding work from the most underrated performer of our time, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
Firstly, I have been a Chris Rea fan for close onto 25 years. Having said that, some of the releases over the years have not always met the levels he has set. Since he suffered the illness that nearly took his life, and probably causes issues day to day, the man has come out with a range of work that just continues to impress, and make me wonder why he has not reached the critical acclaim he deserves, although I think he doesn't care about that as long as he can continue to produce !

Turning to Santo Spirito, firstly the old addage Quality not Quantity DOES NOT apply here, all the CD's and DVD's stand on their own as great pieces of work. The CD album is a bit of the old style rocky Chris with a meeting half way of the very bluesy Chris from recent times, for me the mix is very easy on the ear.

The 2 Theme track CD's are very different pieces of work, some very haunting music in Bull Fighting, with a naturally Spanish undercurrent running through due to the theme. Santo Spirito has some epic guitar pieces from Chris, some reminders of Gilmour from Floyd do come through for me, which being a Floyd fan, I find appealing, and that is not saying this is Pink Floyd type album, which it isn't, just some feels and sounds.

Turning to the DVD's, my family and I watched Bull Fighting, and to say we had tears in our eyes and mouths agape will give a clue to the horrific nature of the film, absolutely nothing left to the imagination in how sick the sport is, not only to the powerful beast itself, but why this still pleases humans the so called "intelligent" race on this planet, absolutely defies belief.

We now live in New Zealand, having left the UK some 7 years ago, and we often are shown what happens to the most majestic creatures on our planet, Whales, when the Japanese "fishing" fleet capture and kill them. Not only ending the life's of harmless creatures, but indirectly effecting the whole Eco system. How the brutal culling of dolphins is seen as a needed requirement, catching sharks only to cut of their fins and them throw them back in the sea to drown helplessly. Gee we are we really intelligent creatures. All these feelings evoked by the Bull Fighting DVD and music. When this happens it is clear the originator of this kind of work is more than just some kind of pop idol or reality TV. Chris thanks for the story so far, please keep it going.
Alan - Wellington. NZ

The Visitor [Digi-Pack Limited Edition]
The Visitor [Digi-Pack Limited Edition]
Price: 10.19

5.0 out of 5 stars UFO - Plenty of Life after 50, 4 July 2010
Firsly, I have been a UFO fan since mid 70's (showing my age), over the years there have been various line-up's, spats, etc, always managed to keep getting hold of their stuff. Recently, did think the boys had got a bit tired or age was kicking in, well to be fair guy's in the mid 50's probably should be resting at home with their feet up, swigging a nice red and playing with Grand children (blow, that is what I do !!), anyhow, glad Phil, Vinnie, Andy and Paul are not your typical grandfather types !!
To me, I am amazed at some of the reviews here, this album is UFO at near best, and really has thrown the door open again. All the tracks have life and enthusiasm in them. Backbone of Andy and Paul, nicely complimented by Vinnie's licks, and of course the master voice of Honest Hard Rock, Phil Mogg.
Songs: Saving Me is bluesy and grows the more you hear it, has a nice Southern blues feel to it, On the waterfront rocks and has a little Obsessions era about it. Hell Driver no nonsense rock, Stop Breaking Down one of my favourites, clear guitar riffs and a nice lead from Vinnie and Phil showing he still can belt the lyrics out with feeling. Rock Ready starts with a nice bluesy/rock riff parts of the best of No Place to Run era. Living Proof has a haunting guitar with a rock funk riff. Cant buy a Thrill has a contact era feel.. Forsaken lighter moments with a Texas feel in the riff. Villain & Thieves hard rift with keyboards over, mixing a bit dodgy on our system, track bomps along. Stranger in town belts out a rock riff of the classic type. Extra track on Digipak Dancing with St.Peter nice keyboard intro with crisp guitar riff another of my favourite tracks.
Funny thing is, the more you play it the more they stand out, a True test of any album. UFO keep doing it guys, Now were are my slippers and pipe?
Alan - Wellington New Zealand

Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
Silver Spoons & Broken Bones

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the Darkness Comes the Stone Gods !!!, 4 July 2010
Being a mid 40's metal/rock/punk/indie/reggae fan !!! Get the picture? I liked the Darkness and thought their stuff was 80's rock but a clear 2000 production sound, so good stuff.
I brought this CD based on the Darkness previous and checking out feedback from other punters on Amazon. Glad I did, this has got to be one of the best Hard Rock albums in the last couple of years. Mix of all things great, Thrash, Heavy, headbanging , Slow , it is a well used mixture, but the boys pull it off with ease. As for tracks and overviews check the other feedbacks, overall this is a Rocking Hit. Even managed to get my 23 year old daughter listening to it !!!
Nice One Stone Gods, a bit more plugging and this would be a BIGGY, Alan , New Zealand

Brilliant Selling: What the Best Sales People Know, Do and Say
Brilliant Selling: What the Best Sales People Know, Do and Say
by Jeremy Cassell

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Selling - Brilliant Book !!, 20 Dec 2009
I have read a number of sales books over the years, and when I decided to purchase this one, I must admit I wondered if the bookshelf needed another one to collect dust !! The answer is NO, this book is simply written, simply stated and easy to refer back to. There are some areas that I probably wont need to use/consider, but the authors make it clear, the whole idea of the book is to use what parts are relevant to your level of know how, and help build on that.

I also found the questions at the end of the chapters to be very useful in determining what I thought of my abilities, aspirations and methods. I really have found the book a real gem.

My congrats to both Jeremy and Tom, guys you have not made this book pretentious or part of some major complex matrix of further enlightment, you have simply written a book that sales people need to know, do and say !! Thanks, Alan Wellington, New Zealand.