Profile for IpsoFacto > Reviews

Christmas Snowman - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate
Christmas Snowman - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate
Price: 30.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Picture!, 22 Jan 2013
I bought this gift certificate for my Mother and was very disappointed at the small size of the picture when printed - nothing like your own image! Also, it was upside down from the wording of the certificate. Again, this was in a minute font which I could not alter. It made for very difficult reading!

My Last Duchess
My Last Duchess
by Daisy Goodwin
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Georgiana!, 26 April 2012
This review is from: My Last Duchess (Paperback)
This book is the perfect read - it's well-researched and replete with lots of lovely historical detail, particularly the fashions of the time, and the rich, lavish opulence of the US wealthy elite versus the stuffy, snobby, draughty-housed asristocrats from the UK. Cora is a brilliant heroine - she can be spoiled, petulant and overly-headstrong, but you can't help loving her despite all that - she has a warm heart and she's very loving, plus you have to feel for her as she's led up the garden path by a few of the stiff and snobby aristocrats as mentioned above. All in all she's a bubbly, fun character with a more serious side, and I was rooting for her the whole way through. Her sexy, mysterious relationship with Ivo is the engine of the novel; I was powered through by my eagerness to unravel the mystery behind his up-and-down behaviour, and to see whether their love was genuine or not. I think the novel delivers what many others fail to do - an ending which is a surprise and can't be predicted, but which is also immenseley satisfying. I came away feeling sated all-round - the side of me which loves a strong love story at the centre of a novel was highly satisfied, but I also felt I'd read a cleverly-done literary novel full of well-drawn characters and rich with historical detail.

Jeffanory: Stories from Beyond Soccer Saturday: Stories from Beyond the Videprinter
by Jeff Stelling
Price: 6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tekkers, 26 April 2012
Jeff is on fine form in this book - I love the idea of him sitting in Stelling towers, puffing on a cigar and wearing a smoking jacket whilst Mrs Jeff serves him a whisky. All that aside, Jeff is very funny and has an excellent memory for football's weirdest, funniest and craziest moments. As a fan of Soccer Saturday I thought that Jeff couldn't tickle my pickle any further with his smooth charm and wit... but he has!

Long Lost Family: True stories of families reunited
Long Lost Family: True stories of families reunited
by Humphrey Price
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better than the TV series, 25 April 2012
As a big fan of the ITV series, I had high hopes for this book - and I wasn't disappointed. The stories are so touching, and so motivating. It's heartbreaking what some of the families have had to go through - for example, Jeannie who has been searching for her brother her whole life, only to eventually find out that he'd died in an accident. I was also really touched by Kirsty's story - you can really feel the pain she's in as she looks at her adopted son and thinks of what might have been if she hadn't given him up. My favourite story was that of Kathleen and Jennifer, the reunited twins - I couldn't believe they'd literally been living down the road from each other their whole lives! I saw them on ITV a few weeks ago, too, talking about what it was like to have found one another - it's so lovely that they're good friends now, and that they've been able to build a relationship late on in life. For anyone looking for inspiring stories which will break your heart but ultimately make you feel good about the unbreakable bond between families and the power of love, then this book is for you.

Every Vow You Break
Every Vow You Break
by Julia Crouch
Price: 8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and disturbing... gives Cuckoo a run for its money, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
Julia Crouch's first novel, Cuckoo, was one of my favourite books of last year, and I was delighted to find that her second novel lived up to my high expectations. Although the setting is different (rural upstate New York rather than the UK), Crouch creates the same breathless, panicky sense of claustrophobia as in Cuckoo, as her heroine becomes more and more deeply entangled in a web of deceit and psychological trickery. Lara is an interesting main character - although she has her faults, I could sympathise with how fed up she is with the repulsive (but cleverly drawn) Marcus. The powerful feelings which sweep over her once she sees Stephen again lead to a strong build up of sexual tension between the two characters. However, it's not as straightforward as that, and Lara's newly-rediscovered infatution with Stephen ties in with the weird and creepy events which have beset the Wayland family ever since they arrived in the musty old house in upstate New York, which smells (literally, it turns out) of death. The sense of tension which simmers throughout, along with the pervasive danger which seems to hover over the family, not to mention Lara and Stephen's thwarted relationship (and the dark relationship between Lara's teenaged twins, Bella and Olly) all build up to a shocking and disturbing climax. I'm looking forward to Crouch's next novel.

The Snow Child
The Snow Child
by Eowyn Ivey

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and full of beauty, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Snow Child (Hardcover)
This is the most beautiful book I have read in ages. An ageing couple in 1920s America, Jack and Mabel, head to Alaska to set up a homestead on the harsh and difficult terrain. They are no spring chickens, and the harsh conditions of winter make it almost impossible for them. There is a great sadness in their marriage; they have never had children. Mabel gave birth to a child many years ago, but it passed away soon after. The two try to find comfort in each other, but somehow it's not quite enough. When, one night they build a snow girl, laughing and joking in a flurry of activity which hearks back to their youth and when they first fell in love, it seems that the snow girl comes to life, becoming the little girl they always wanted, but never had. The tale of Jack and Mabel and Faina the Snow Child, and the way she enters and affects their lives, is incredibly moving. It's a human story, full of love and yearning and emotion, but it's also laced with an ethereal beauty and mysticism. This is represented by Faina herself, the mysterious and fey child who, it seems, may not exist out of Mabel and Jack's world on the homestead. The descriptions of Alaska, particularly during winter when the land is blanketed by snow and covered by treacherous ice, are truly breathtaking. I came away with my heart caught in my throat, trying not to sob.

The Fabulous Baker Brothers
The Fabulous Baker Brothers
by Tom Herbert
Price: 23.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and VERY easy on the eye!, 25 Jan 2012
There are so many cookery books out there that it's difficult to know which to choose... and that's why this book is so brilliant; with two young, confident dashing chaps at the helm, who love hearty back-to-basics grub rather than fancy fiddly meals, this book is totally different and completely original. I love the rustic feel to the Baker Brothers' meals - they go back to the important basics, such as baking bread and making stupendous toasties! The recipes are easy to follow, too (I loved the Get Out of Trouble Chocolate Cake) and the pictures are mouthwatering (the food, as well as the chefs). Top marks!

Bitter Leaf
Bitter Leaf
by Chioma Okereke
Price: 7.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, exotic and full of beauty, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Bitter Leaf (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book. The writing is lush - dripping with exoticism and full of flavour, and so mature and original that I was surprised to find that this is a novel from a debut author. I fell in love with Mannobe; Okereke paints such a vivid portrait of its inhabitants, and of the village itself. The love story is intriguing and ultimately satisfying, but it was the rich and textured evocation of rural village life, versus the hustle and bustle of the nearby city, which drew me irresistibly into Okereke's world.