Profile for billbadblack > Reviews

Content by billbadblack

billbadblack "bolonius" (Manchester. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ark Royal
Ark Royal

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent old-school Space Opera, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
Excellent old-school Space Opera. Reminds me of the works of Eric Frank Russell, but with slightly less humour and more Britishness. I found it read very easily, clearly and without the need for cross/back reference, which is appropriate for an action novel. A nice well formed setting.
Other reviews have pointed out some editorial fluffs, but I have to say I didn't notice them. I was just drawn along with the story, and have now bought the following series.
Very enjoyable.

Suicide Risk Vol. 1
Suicide Risk Vol. 1
by Dafna Pleban

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait for No 2!, 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Suicide Risk Vol. 1 (Paperback)
Really can't say too much more than the previous reviews without giving away the plot, however it is an excellent start to a series. The, what could have been boring, scene setting; instead, sucks you in, and is not cliched or forced. The idea behind the plot is most intriguing, even for an old cynic like myself. The art is good too!
Promises well: Mike Carey, the author, was responsible for the 'Lucifer' arc, so I have high hopes for and exciting and intelligent tale.

Contrast Hinged Out In Front Handlebar Mount For Garmin Edge 200/500/800/510/810 - White
Offered by SDJ Sports Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Bit Of Kit, and Cheap Too!, 18 Sept. 2014
I have a similar black one, but later I saw I could get this white one, which matches better the colour scheme of my bike.
The mount is a good price, and certainly a lot cheaper than the original Garmin item. The build quality is good, and I have used it on the bike. The mount has held my Garmin firmly and safely, so all's good there.
One good facet is that the handlebar mount is hinged, and so is very easily mounted (my other one is not hinged, and so you need to bend it, to get it on. This is fine, but a little more awkward.
What is not apparent from the picture is that there is a bit of sculpting at the front of the bracket, by where the Garmin is mounted. This adds a bit of detail to an otherwise plain object, and goes with the sculpting on my bike frame. All very aerodynamic and elegant.
So I'm well pleased with this and would recommend it.

VeloChampion Bike Computer Handlebar Mount for Garmin Edge 200, 500, 510, 800 and 810
Offered by Maxgear Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Business, And Much Cheaper Too., 12 Sept. 2014
Just to echo most of the previous comments: the mount fits well and hold my Garmin properly. Quality is excellent.
This keeps your Garmin off the handlebars or stem and so frees up space for other things (eg lights), or simply just de-clutters (and so looks good).
At the time of this review, this was the cheapest version, and it works out at just over a third of the price, with free delivery too.
So well worth it. Highly recommended.

BT Loud Indoor Telephone Bell - Easy Plug In & Use - Bell 50E Loud Extension
BT Loud Indoor Telephone Bell - Easy Plug In & Use - Bell 50E Loud Extension

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice & Loud, 10 Sept. 2014
I bought this for my Dad, who is getting quite deaf, and so often doesn't hear the phone ring. It came within 2 days on the free super-saver delivery, so I was very pleased.
Unfortunately, when my dad set it up, he said it was only slightly louder than the telephone ringer, so I was a little worried (but thought he had done something wrong). I am unable to visit him often as I live over 100 miles away.
It turns out that it was quiet, but that his double phone-plug adapter was at fault. He has bought a new one and the ringer is now VERY LOUD! He can now hear when the phone rings from any part of the house without having his hearing-aid in, and is very pleased with the device!
Just thought I'd let you know of possible problems. This is a good product.

New Frontier (Star Trek: New Frontier)
New Frontier (Star Trek: New Frontier)

4.0 out of 5 stars but no better, and that has put me off reading many, 9 Sept. 2014
Most Star Trek books I have read have been merely okay, but no better, and that has put me off reading many. So I came to this series on novels with low expectations. But I had read some recommendations, and my curiosity had been piqued.
Other previous reviews have given a lot of detail on the 4 books in this volume, and, to be honest, that is why I bought this rather than the cheaper individual story.
I'm normally quite picky with novels, but this lot drew me in almost immediately, and I have been reading it in every bit of spare time I have. Highly readable, and fully engrossing, with plenty of action, and good characters (checkout Si Cwan, Kebron, Burgoyne 172 and Captain Calhoun)! Much better than the other ST books I have read.
I would recommend this book to any SF ot ST reader.

The Wind in the Willows (Original Illustrated Edition)
The Wind in the Willows (Original Illustrated Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, and almost poetic at times, 20 July 2014
Lovely book, beautifully written, and almost poetic at times. Recommended!

Silencium: Songs of the Spirit
Silencium: Songs of the Spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but Still Good., 15 July 2014
A little disappointing! I already have a copy of Terror and Magnificence (T&M), so I had high expectations of this album. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to reach the heights of the aforementioned album; no medieval style songs of great depth and emotion, but more atmospheric ethereal tunes, which to me sound more commonplace.
Don't get me wrong, the songs are good and listenable, but, to my mind, not up to the standard set by the other album. I perhaps should have known better, as there are a lot of variations in T&M, so Harle obviously draws on lots of different styles, not all of which I enjoy.
Not a bad album, but to me, not so visionary as T&M. I've only played it a couple of times!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, 25 April 2014
I have bought the [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] copy of this film, so my review is of this copy only, not the steel box version.

I loved the Lord of the Rings films, but was somewhat dubious when I heard that The Hobbit was going to be made as a three-episode film, as it is only a small book (that I didn't much like anyway). I didn't bother to watch it in the Cinema and wasn't going to even bother to watch the Blu-ray. However, by chance, I borrowed the Blu-ray from a friend, had a few hours to spare, so I watched it. Surprisingly, I was very impressed, and so purchased this. It has the same atmosphere as LOTR, and the story does not feel like it is padded out at all.

No hints about what happens, in this review (there are plenty of others for that), but if, like me, you are doubtful about this film: don't be. It's atmospheric, gripping, querky, charming, and characterfull, just like it's older brother LOTR. Check it out!

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Angela
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Angela
by Neil Gaiman

3.0 out of 5 stars Comedy Avengers in Outer Space (part 2), 3 April 2014
Unfortunately I didn't think much of this (and volume 1).
The artwork is by several different artists and is mostly very good, but it is let down by poor plotting which jumps around a lot, and is not particularily believable.
I didn't feel much in the way of sympathy for any of the characters. There is a cuddly but vicious furry animal who is good with gadgets and controls, and a Lord of the Rings ent-type tree person who can only say 'I am Groot', and is incidentally good with futuristic controls. Two other very powerful green people are also part of the team, who seem to be strong/good fighters, although I don't quite know why. The leader has a special gun!
There is an extra person in here too, who is an even better fighter than the others, comes from 'Heven', is an angel, and doesn't wear much. Err. . . .
The Earth is in danger from attack, but I don't know why. Perhaps they want to steal some money!
It all goes off at an even faster pace than vol1, which keeps you sort of involved, and I suppose that is why I have given it 3 stars not 2, but I will not be buying any more of these.
Oh; there were a few good smart-arse one liners too!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4