ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

The Mystical Element in Hegel's Early Theological Writings
by George Plimpton Adams
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great, 20 Nov 2013
This is a really great and helpful discussion of the Mystical Element in Hegel's early thought - however, it's more of a pamphlet than a book - don't be expecting a massive volume to be dropping through the letterbox.

Reading McDowell: On Mind and World
Reading McDowell: On Mind and World
by Nicholas Smith
Price: 22.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting collection..., 20 Nov 2013
Making the inaccessible, slightly less inaccessible. Seriously, there are several insightful and, most importantly, helpful discussions on McDowell's Mind and World.

Three Essays, 1793-95: "Tubingen Essay", "Berne Fragments" and "Life of Jesus"
Three Essays, 1793-95: "Tubingen Essay", "Berne Fragments" and "Life of Jesus"
by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Early Hegel, 20 Nov 2013
These essays provide really fantastic insights into the development of Hegel's thoughts. It is interesting to see how later themes were present even at this early time.

The Theory of Communicative Action Vol. 2: Lifeworld and System: A Critique of Functional Reason: 002
by Jeurgen Habermas

2.0 out of 5 stars The end of a two volume literature review, 20 Nov 2013
This book is unbelievably boring. The first volume is a summary of sociologists, and an unfair one at that (fans of Weber - do not read this book, you'll only get upset) - the second volume is pretty much the same. Mind-numbingly dull and not worth the effort.

Leuchtturm1917 Academic A4 Plus Master 2014 Week Planner for 18 Months - English Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Diary, 20 Nov 2013
I bought this diary as I noticed that, for the first time in my life, I had meetings that were clashing all too often. This diary is brilliant; there are lots of additional, and surprisingly useful, features - including an overview of public holidays as well as the public holidays being noted on the individual days themselves. I'll be definitely buying another one of these when the next year ends.

A Little Learning (23) (Penguin Classics Waugh 23)
A Little Learning (23) (Penguin Classics Waugh 23)
by Evelyn Waugh
Price: 13.31

1.0 out of 5 stars Half the pages are blank!!, 29 April 2013
Every other page is missing - Can Amazon contact me to organize a replacement?! Very disappointing show considering... was going to buy the whole set - hopefully they'll not all be like this!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work, 11 April 2013
This product doesn't work. I suspect it's priced so low so that it's more of a pain than it's worth to complain about this.

Hilly Twin Skin Anklet Running Socks - Large
Hilly Twin Skin Anklet Running Socks - Large
Offered by altonsports- Run and Fitness Store
Price: 8.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Nov 2012
These socks are fantastic. They are comfortable, supportive and they keep significant (in my case) amounts of moisture away from your feet while running.

Unfortunately they do have the incredibly frustrating habit of shrinking after one or two washes (despite my following the instructions). I have bought four pairs of these socks, only one pair has managed to retain its size! The other three pairs have shrunk to the degree that my feet will only just fit into them - uncomfortably.

I will probably not be buying these socks again, which is a shame - if they sorted out the shrinking problem I would be giving them five stars!

NIETZSCHE, PROPHET OF NAZISM: THE CULT OF THE SUPERMAN
NIETZSCHE, PROPHET OF NAZISM: THE CULT OF THE SUPERMAN
by ABIR TAHA
Price: 10.63

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply misleading and unhelpful., 13 May 2012
As someone academically inclined towards Nietzsche (one of the focal points of my thesis is a reading of Nietzsche's 'Genealogy') I bought this book hoping for a legitimate reading of a controversial Philosopher. I was aware that this reading would probably not conform to my own, but it's always good to take a survey of opinions when researching. This book was ill-written and somewhat pretentious. The author is clearly not a Nietzsche schollar 'proper' and has a very facile reading of Nietzsche that is unsustainable when one takes an in-depth approach to his writings. The author confuses the concept of the 'Superman' with a Nazi ideal; there is no evidence for this, and indeed evidence to the contrary - Nietzsche's Supermen were (often) artists whose role it was to improve the societies in which they lived, the role of society was to facilitate such genius flourishing - the relation is symbiotic. Describing the Supermen as 'warriors' is a vast misreading of Nietzsche that assumes Nietzsche advocates a reversion to 'Good, Bad' morality (opposed to 'Good, Evil' morality) - Nietzsche instead tells us that we have to move BEYOND good and evil, not go back to the warrior aristocratic mode of valuation. Indeed, Nietzsche even tells us that many of the things we call 'evil' or 'good' ought to be encouraged, but for different reasons than those offered hitherto...

The supermen offer a re-evaluation of judeo-christian ethics for the reason that these ethics (of self-denial, self-loathing, and hatred of the world which we are a part of) are ill-conducive to our well-being, Nietzsche believes that a fulfilled existence is possible through the enjoyment of, and participation in, art.

I would recommend Aaron Ridley's 'Nietzsche's Conscience' and Christopher Janaway's 'Beyond Selflessness' instead of this book.

The Street Philosopher
The Street Philosopher
by Matthew Plampin

3.0 out of 5 stars Very vivid imagery and highly readable., 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Street Philosopher (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you will notice about this book when you begin to read is the vast amount of vivid, colourful imagery, and metaphor used; I still found this very suprising despite reading the brief 'blurb' stating that Matthew Plampin is a lecturer on nineteenth century art and architechture! I normally find high levels of imagery to either be a) pretentious or b) a substitute for plot substance. This was NOT the case for the Street Philosopher which I found to be a very readable and well written book. Being a Philosophy graduate I was initially sceptical (or is it skeptical nowadays?) of the title and it's lack of reference throughout the book (nowhere in the book [thankfully] is Philosophy discussed), I believe the idea of the book is that questions are raised which may not seem directly transferrable to our modern age and our lack of Empire, but once we see war jounalism and social commentary in the abstraction we see that very little has in fact changed; it is often hard to retain integrity in either field, or indeed create any integrity for social commentary (although, the social commentary is not quite as dire as something one might read in O.K. magazine or the like). Questions are indeed raised and we are the Philosophers for thinking them over and teasing out the conclusions (or at least the suggested conclusions)drawn out from the text. The book is very subtle and well worth a read, if not for the mental engagement (which is very light), then at least for the scene brilliantly created by the author.

Page: 1 | 2