Profile for A. J. Thirkell > Reviews

Content by A. J. Thirkell

A. J. Thirkell

The Plague (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Plague (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Nov. 2014
Fascinating, captivating, read it then read it again and again and again...

ForeFront Cases® New Leather Folding Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 T320 (Released March 2014) - Full device protection and Smart Auto Sleep Wake function with 3 YEAR FOREFRONT CASES WARRANTY + STYLUS & SCREEN PROTECTOR
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover, you don't have to bribe us!, 10 Nov. 2014
This cover arrives with a leaflet that basically says, 'If you leave a good review for this product on Amazon, get in touch and we'll send you another case for free.' That might explain a lot of the 5* feedback, but, speaking as someone who won't be asking for the free case, I have to leave a 5* review anyway - it it's a genuinely very good cover for my Samsung tab pro tablet: a snug fit, holes in all the right places, thin and stylish design, excellent auto-wake/sleep function... I am very pleased Fc, thank you.

De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against the Zombies of Armorica
De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against the Zombies of Armorica

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2012
Excellent little book. I've enjoyed reading through it several times since I took the gamble to download it to my Kindle. Five stars no question.

A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Gordianus the Finder Book 11)
A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Gordianus the Finder Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 17 April 2012
This was the first Gordianus book I read, and it must have made a good impression because I have become quite a fan of the series. I can't remember where this one fits into the series, but I don't think the timeline is important with the Gordianus books. Some people say 'you must read x before reading y' but I disagree, the stories hold their own even out of the context of the series - a bit like James Bond films, you might say.
This is a great read, and I think it would be especially suitable for teenagers with an interest in ancient Rome.

Catilina's Riddle (Gordianus the Finder Book 3)
Catilina's Riddle (Gordianus the Finder Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, except for the politics, 17 April 2012
All the while Gordianus is being his usual Finder self, this book is an excellent read - exciting and captivating. However, while he's discussing Roman politics and society with the various other characters, the asumption seems to be that the reader has absolutely no knowledge whatever of the subject, the result being that the dialogue is mind-bogglingly simple, almost childlike. In the face of this, Gordianus's image as a 2000-years-ahead-of-his-time messianic embodiment of perfection isn't credible. Also, during such dialogue it is painfully obvious that this book is a modern creation.
If you like Gordianus you'll have a good time reading this - I give it four stars in spite my criticism - but I wouldn't recommend it as a first foray into the series. My first Gordianus books were the short story collections The House of the Vestals and A Gladiaor Only Dies Once, and I recommend those to anyone not yet familiar with The Finder.

Just Justin
Just Justin

1.0 out of 5 stars Cringing, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Just Justin (Kindle Edition)
not worth the price at all, there's enough of this guy all over the place for free and this magazine doesn't really add anything worthwhile.

The Gates of Rome (Emperor Series, Book 1)
The Gates of Rome (Emperor Series, Book 1)
by Conn Iggulden
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Julius Caesar is cheapened, 25 Nov. 2010
These books are set during one of the most turbulent and exciting parts of human history - the infamous late Republican period in Rome.
Why, why, WHY does Mr Iggulden think that he can write a better version of events by changing several of the most important historical facts? That's the problem, Conn doesn't completely depart from historical accuracy, it's just a few infuriatingly glaring liberties that make you go "What??" every now and then while reading the series.
It's all designed to portray Julius Caesar as a superman who did everything pretty much single-handedly. Caesar was indeed a great man, but Conn massively cheapens his character by fatuously attributing to him all the ridiculous achievements described in this series.
In between the "What??" moments there is genuinely exciting prose. I read the whole series only moderately painfully, but sheer disbelief at what I was being asked to accept at times meant I nearly put it down. I put a 'Historical Fantasy' tag on the series for the incredible amount of suspending of disbelief you need to do in order to get through it.

The Legion
The Legion
by Simon Scarrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarrow at his best again, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Legion (Hardcover)
Mr Scarrow took his time a bit with this one, but The Legion was worth the wait.
I don't have much to add to what's been said already, this is a terrific book that has the perfect blend of pace and detail to keep any fan of historical fiction happy.
I would highly recommend reading the first nine books before embarking on this one (not as hard as it sounds - I read the first 8 in two weeks while on holiday a few years ago!) - this will allow you to appreciate the intricacies of the characters better.
Best 1st chapter of any of the Eagle books (A tall man walks off the ship, "My name's Centurion Macro" - haaaang on a minute!!).
Thanks SS.