Profile for Alan Bailey > Reviews

Content by Alan Bailey

Alan Bailey (London, England.)

Silverline 520113 15 Watt, 230 Volt AC Soldering Iron (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Nanoprotec Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good product, 28 April 2013
I purchased this a few months ago and finally used it last week. The problem is, the tip is too soft and has melted away. I took the tip out and could easily bend it, I put a new tip in and the retaining screw crossed. So it's back to my old one for the time being.

I suppose if you want to use it very occasionally it will be OK, but that's it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 6:22 PM BST

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

1.0 out of 5 stars Big problem with this - WiFi problem now resolved, 6 Dec. 2012
I received this about 3 hours ago. Switched it on and it connected to Amazon and registered. I thought this is really good, oh dear what a mistake.

I looked for it in Finder (iMac) it was not shown. I tried it on my Airbook it was recognised but not shown in Finder. I tried to update from the "Cloud", that's when it all went wrong. Nothing happened and I tried to access Amayon from the device, Nothing.

After getting zero reponse I decided to reset the thing. When I tried to register again it gave me an error. I went to Amazon website and the device was no longer shown. I have tried to register it about 10 times, Computer restarted, just about everything I can think of. NOTHING.

I decided to contact Amazon, after about an hour of fiddling I managed to send them an email.

On this experience I would say do not touch it. But I will update this if I ever hear from Amazon.

UPDATE
When I eventually got through to Amazon by email they have been quite responsive. However I'm in the Czech Republic at the moment and I can't use the system where they call me. The phone charges are horrendous and I'm unwilling to run up a telephone bill which is likely to exceed the cost of the Kindle. So I will have to wait till I get back to the UK.

Incidentally my Kinndle keyboard connects OK to the Amazon site. My iPhone, iPad and two computers connect OK to my WiFi so I'm pretty sure it is a Kindle problem.

I've just found out that Amazon have locked down the Kindle to make it difficult to install anything but their products. After I connected to their site I tried to install some ebooks from the "Cloud" the first was from the Gutenberg library so I'm beginning to think that I've been deliberately locked out.

Needless to say I now have a complete block on Amazon products until this has been resolved. It could be that I will have to write off this "investment" and buy another product from another company. Very sad.

UPDATE2
Finally got the thing working. Found information on the internet which directed me to an Amazon Forum.

Restart all internet hardware and leave for a couple of minutes and then switch on again.

When your connection is established do the following.

Switch off the Kindle Fire by holding down the off button for 20 seconds.

In my case the Kindle automatically connected and setup was complete.

Apparently this is a fairly common problem and the Techies should have been able to tell me what to do immediately.

Will keep you updated as to any further problems.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2012 5:10 PM GMT

LEXX: The Complete Series
LEXX: The Complete Series
Offered by JAGMAN *SAME*DAY*DISPATCH* 100% LIFETIME POSITIVE FEEDBACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Total run time, 13 Mar. 2011
This review is from: LEXX: The Complete Series (DVD)
The run time for this product is 2947 minutes, plus extras. The box incorrectly shows 1247 minutes. I've not checked them all but the extras are so far about 15 min per disc.

Season 1. 346
Season 2. 918
Season 3. 603
Season 4. 1080.

All in all I'm quite pleased so far. I've only seen odd episodes in the past and what I saw I liked. Now I own this set I have to say it's different. Roll elements of all the TV SciFi series into one and you will just begin to understand. This is not for everyone, it takes a bit of getting into but I would imagine there are people who hate it and some that love it.

I am a bit peeved because i paid about £79.90 for this and there is another on sale with Amazon for £48.99, it also shows 1247 as the running time. So a couple of less stars would be appropriate but it's a good series. Please note the price Amazon, considering the amount I buy from you it would be nice to see a small credit to my account!!

The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
by Stephen Oppenheimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Things will never be the same., 21 Aug. 2009
I found this book very good but complex. The previous reviews here about sum things up but for me this fascinating subject is at last being dealt with in a less glamorous way and I believe it opens the way for more research by other scholars who may hopefully reappraise some of the earlier works on this subject. I also give a link to the excellent work by John Collis which is widely quoted in this book, and I would recommend that the two be read together. Neither of these books are easy reading but I have found that over time they have both increased my knowledge and helped me to look at this subject in a much more objective way. In summing up, these books have thoroughly debunked the subject and provide a new starting point for others to build upon. As Professor Colin Renfrew says in the quote on the front cover, "British prehistory will never look the same again".
Celts: Origins and Re-inventions: Origins, Myths and Inventions

The Celts: Origins, Myths & Inventions: Origins, Myths and Inventions
The Celts: Origins, Myths & Inventions: Origins, Myths and Inventions
by John Collis

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are serious read this., 31 July 2009
If you are seriously interested in Celtic subjects then this is the book you must read before all others. If you are interested in the "Celts" as what in the last 200 years or so has become an attempt at creating a Celtic Master Race then this is not the book for you.

John Collis has thoroughly deconstructed the mythology surrounding the Celtic speakers. At the beginning of the book he quotes Ferguson, "Thus in the groves of Academe do the blind often trustingly follow the purblind". He looks at many early sources such as those of, Hesiod, Aeschylus, Hescateus, Himilco, Herodotus through to more well known names such as Pliny, Ptolemy, Caesar, Cicero, Livy and many more. He looks at the subject through Archaeology, Anthropology and Linguistic and asks many thought provoking questions as to why this subject has become so popular. He leaves no stone unturned and even looks at Religion. In my inexpert opinion anything I have read previously about the "Celts" must now be treated with suspicion. A thoroughly good read but not a book to be read from cover to cover.

I would also recommend The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story" by Stephen Oppenheimer if you want to get up to speed on this subject. Part 1 of this book is entitled "The Celtic myth: wrong myth, real people." So that will give you a few clues. The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 12:50 PM GMT