Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

The Pink Panther Film Collection (5 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1976]
The Pink Panther Film Collection (5 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ David Niven

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great comedy moments, 9 Feb 2004
Like everyone else I was disappointed to find that the Return of the Pink Panther was left out of this (you will find the explanation for this in another review). The Return is one of the better films (who can forget the sequence involving Clouseau's bungled break-in to Lady Litton's hotel room?) and I prize my VHS copy. Nevertheless this set is still worth buying - the quality of the DVDs is good and the packaging imaginative.
For me this is not a series but rather two groups of films: The Pink Panther and Shot in the Dark which have a definite 60's feel to them and then the three '70s films (the absent "Return", "Strikes Again" and Revenge") which are essentially a vehicle for Sellers in various costumes. The Trail of the Pink Panther is hopelessly disjointed and simply an embarrassment - it should really have been scrapped and certainly not made part of this collection (interesting/sad fact - it was David Niven's last film - he was rapidly succumbing to Motor Neurone Disease at the time and all his lines had to be dubbed as his voice was so weak).
Despite all this there are some classic moments, not least in "Strikes Again" with Clouseau's attempt to get into the castle where the mad Dreyfuss is holed up (the muttered "swine moat!" as a soaked Clouseau pulls himself once more out of the moat gets me every time) and the tooth pulling sequence in the same film.
Don't take these films too seriously as they don't stand up to much criticism. Despite dodgy scripts Sellers' brilliance shows through, albeit in a series of glimpses.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2009 2:57 PM BST

The Jolly Postman
The Jolly Postman
by Janet Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's (and adults') classic, 15 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
Every family should have this book. The Ahlbergs have come up with a book which which is a joy for children to read but also appeals to adults with its dry wit. The whole concept is fun and innovative - my 4 year old son loves the illustrations and getting out the letters although much of the hunour goes over his head! We need more books like this!

Blind Corner
Blind Corner
by Dornford Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars Outdated but still well worth a read, 29 Dec 2003
This review is from: Blind Corner (Paperback)
The best thing to do with this book is to take it at face value - a real "Ripping Yarn" that starts off explosively and keeps up the pace right to the end. Whilst it is difficult to like any of the characters there is still something gripping about a high speed chase across the Europe of the 1920s in a Rolls Royce and a frantic attempt to recover hidden treasure - this one makes you sit up in your chair. This for me is Yates's best book (maybe with Adele & Co) which avoids much of his sugary sentimentality or racial stereotyping. Definitely worth a read.

Christmas Album
Christmas Album
Offered by trec002

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult call..., 29 Dec 2003
This review is from: Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Having been a Tull fan for over 20 years I am naturally disposed to try to like everything that Mr Anderson puts out. That's why I was delighted with Rupi's dance which for me really puts Ian Anderson back to a creative high we have not seen since the late '70s. The Christmas Album has, I have to say, tested me - I know it's not supposed to be entirely serious but some of the new instrumental tracks could quite easily pass for BBC Xmas incidental music and a couple of others are the sort of thing you might hear on the holiday programme "Wish you were Here?"(I did look to see if Judith Chalmers was in the credits but she seems to have been missed out).
It's not all bad news though - strip out the MOR instumental tracks and you are left with some masterly re-recordings of some of the classic tracks (for me Christmas Song and Ring out Solstice Bells are the best) which compare very well with the originals. I don't regret buying it and have been playing it regularly for the last month.
Bah Humbug - pass us the bottle Ian and keep it up!

Roxy Music (Live)
Roxy Music (Live)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the reunion, 29 Dec 2003
This review is from: Roxy Music (Live) (Audio CD)
I unfortunately missed this tour and bitterly regret that I wasn't there. This is Roxy on top form - Bryan Ferry still sounding and looking great with superb performances from Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay and Paul Thompson. Will Oasis or Robbie Williams still be able to turn out something like this in 15-20 years' time? The tracks that stand out for me are Out of the Blue, Both Ends Burning and Oh Yeah - the only let down is the quality of the recording which seems to be a bit muffled at times.

The Faraway Tree Stories: Three Books in One
The Faraway Tree Stories: Three Books in One
by Enid Blyton

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical - a must for all 4+ year olds (and parents!), 29 Dec 2003
This book takes me straight back to my own childhood - no televisions (or at least a black & white one with only 3 stations), play station, Buzz Lightyear etc... My four and half year old has had to be rationed to two stories from this book a night - he is totally transfixed by it, staring into space and hanging on every word that is read to him. It's in books like this that you really appreciate Enid Blyton's skill as a story-teller - the Faraway Tree Stories should never be allowed to go out of print.
This particular edition is very good value for money though to be honest the illustrations are not great and don't add much to the book. Don't worry though - your children will love it just the same.

Rupi's Dance
Rupi's Dance
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian Anderson re-invigorated, 4 Oct 2003
This review is from: Rupi's Dance (Audio CD)
I put this cd in my car on the way to the airport to hear it the first time - it was so good I had to keep on driving, missed two motorway junctions and almost missed the plane!
I first got to know Tull in the late '70s and I suspect like many fans had an agonising time through the '80s and early '90s as the gap between albums stretched out to almost 4 years and those that eventually appeared were a little hit and miss. I ended up pretty much listening only to pre-Stormwatch material.
What amazes me is Anderson's re-invigoration in the last 3-4 years both in terms of output and quality. I thought Dot.Com and Roots to Branches were great improvements on the previous Tull albums, SLOB excellent but Rupi's Dance is better still - a really polished, rounded and deeply satisfying album. Anderson has always been a superb lyricist but somehow this album really comes together with some great melodies that you can't get out of your head. Long may Mr Anderson's new lease of life last - it's still playing in my car.