Profile for J. Hull > Reviews

Content by J. Hull

J. Hull (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Sinvitron® Comb 3.1 USB-C(Type-C) to 3.0 USB-A(Type-A) High-Speed Adapter Converter Connector - Compatible with The New 2015 Macbook??and Other Type-C Supported Devices

3.0 out of 5 stars Only works when inserted the "right" way, 3 Sept. 2015
The adapter works, but only one way round. It fits in the USB-C port either way, as it should, but for some reason nothing registers on my MacBook unless it is put in the "right" way. Not that this really matters in the grand scheme of things, since all it requires is a quick turn around, but it's a bit of a nuisance. When it is working it moves files at good USB 3 speeds, and I actually prefer the look of this adapter to the official Apple one since it is less intrusive and looks tidier than having a stretch of cable leading to the standard USB-A end. I also plugged in a 4 way USB hub into the end of this, and that also works, so there's no issues with the speed and use of the device in that regard. It basically turns your USB-C port into a standard USB-A port. Simple. The adapter does feel quite cheap (which it is), but it doesn't feel so bad as to break any time soon, and for the price being charged it does a decent job at a third of the price of Apple's alternative.

Pot Kettle Black Latte Glasses Set x 2 Cups, 250 Millilitres - Includes Stencil Kit
Offered by Pot & Kettle Black (UK)

3.0 out of 5 stars More quality control needed, 2 July 2015
I was given this product as a free sample by the supplier in return for an honest review, and my thoughts below are from my own personal experience only, and I was not paid or asked to leave a positive review whatsoever.

Like other reviewers I received a pair of latte glasses which were described as "seamless", but this is hardly the case. In fact there is a rather large and obvious seam that goes right down the side of both glasses which is alarmingly sharp to touch. This seems to be a problem with most of their stock since I am not the only one who has found this problem. The bottom of the glasses is a bit wobbly as well; whilst one of the glasses sits perfectly level on a table, the second one is a little lopsided and makes leaving your glass on a coffee table a far more worrying experience than should be the case. The glass used, however, is nice and thick and doesn't feel too cheap, although it definitely doesn't scream "premium", and to be honest I have found better quality glasses at cheaper price points in high street stores. One thing I do like is how the liquid looks as though it comes right up to the edge of the glass despite it's thickness on inspection, which makes the glasses somewhat more aesthetically pleasing once a hot beverage is inside the glass. This level of thickness is also nice since the glass doesn't get too hot to the touch, unlike the ones you might have used at your local Costa! The packaging of the product was also pretty decent - nothing to shout home about, but simple and effective. It's hard to outright recommend this product to others based on the negative points I have listed above, but it is worth noting that the company do offer a refund and returns policy so if you were to be unhappy with the product received you are at least covered. A little more quality control wouldn't go amiss on this product, since it's the little details that are faltering, but the little details are precisely what matter on such a simple product such as this.

The Pure 60ml Screen Cleaner Kit contains only Eco-Friendly, Bio Degradable and Hypo Allergenic ingredients. NO artificial chemicals. NO alcohol. Naturally removes all dust, dirt, marks and stains from LED, LCD, Plasma TV, iPhone, Samsung, Sony, Smartphones, iMac, Laptop, Computers, Touch Screens and CD's to leave them gleaming clean.
Offered by VinylClear

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb screen cleaner!, 2 July 2015
This is a very effect screen cleaner, and a lot better than others (even more expensive ones) that I have used. It is a simple liquid-like spray with a pump rather than a thick "goop" liquid, which makes it a lot easier to use and leaves screens smear free. I have used this on all my gadgets including an iPad, iPhone, laptop screen and HDTV and the results with all of them are superb. Only a couple (about 3-4) of sprays are needed to clean a 42 inch TV screen and it comes out completely clear without any marks whatsoever. I especially like how it can get rid of even the most frustrating fingerprints from my iPad screen as though they were nothing at all. The microfibre cloth that is supplied is also great as it catches all the dust and takes it off the screen. I personally like to wipe my screens on one side with the dry side of this cloth first to get rid of all the dust, and then spray the other side of the cloth and wipe it over the screen. I don't find drying the screen is necessary as it comes out clean and dry within a matter of seconds. I can't recommend this screen cleaner enough, I'm very impressed and will keep using this company in the future.

GRDE® Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.0 Earphones, Splash-proof Sweatproof Headphones, Headsets with NFC Function for iPhone, Samsung, HTC, LG and Other Mobile Phones with Bluetooth(black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset for exercise!, 24 April 2015
I have tried a lot of different earphones for use whilst exercising over the years, and I have never really found a pair that I have been completely happy with until these. The build quality is excellent, and they feel like they have been made with really decent materials. The buttons have a nice "clickiness" to them, so you always know when you've clicked the button whilst wearing them. The only downside to the buttons is that when you are wearing the earphones and you can't see the icon for each button, they all feel the same, so there's no touch feedback as to which buttons you are pressing. It would be nice if there was a more pronounced hump on the buttons for the volume up and down buttons, for example, so that I don't accidentally press the other ones. This is only a minor niggle, however, and apart from this the headset is supremely easy to use, and they also sound surprisingly good. Don't expect the deepest bass you've ever heard, but for a small pair of earphones they sounds perfectly decent - especially for use while exercising. The clarity in the higher frequencies are great, and the sound is clear without being muddied at all.

The band around the back means the headset doesn't fall off when I'm running or cycling, and the shape of the earpieces are perfect for sliding them into your ear whilst holding them firmly in place. I really think they have excelled in how they have made this headset fit, and I can't stress enough how well they work in practical use. Pairing with laptops, phones, iPods, or Bluetooth enabled MP3 devices is incredibly easy, and well described in the supplied book. The headset even comes in a nice white box which is both easy to open, and quite classy to look at as well - not that it really matters, but it's a nice touch. In the box comes a charging micro USB cable and extra earbuds to put on the end in case they should fall off or get damaged (not that I believe they will), and the battery seems to last for roughly 5 hours on a single charge whilst listening to music.

I really don't think you can get much better for the money if you are after a pair of wireless sport headphones. They provide a comfortable fit, with above average sound, and an ease of use and functionality that is as good as, if not better that some of the more expensive competition. If you are in the market for a pair of sport headphones for use whilst exercising then I personally recommend these very highly.

KORRES Shampoo Aloe and Dittany for Normal Hair 250 ml
KORRES Shampoo Aloe and Dittany for Normal Hair 250 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this shampoo, 1 April 2015
I absolutely love this shampoo. It has a very delicate scent, and its very soft in your hair. It leaves my hair feeling clean and soft after use, and I find it perfectly acceptable for daily use. I have also used Lush products in the past because I like using natural products on my hair since I suffer with bad skin on my scalp, and I personally prefer this Korres shampoo to Lush. I find Lush to be a little too strong in scent, and I also find it dries out my hair completely (which is surprising considering I have very greasy hair normally). I have found this with numerous different Lush products, but I don't have this problem with Korres. Even as someone who usually has very oily hair within 24 hours, this shampoo - which is advertised for normal hair - is perfectly good and keeps me feeling clean for over 24 hours. I actually find this keeps my hair cleaner for longer than any shampoo that is dedicated to greasy hair. I highly recommend trying this product!

KORRES Pomegranate Facial Soap 125 g
KORRES Pomegranate Facial Soap 125 g

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really nice, gentle soap, 1 April 2015
This is a really nice, gentle soap. It has a very delicate scent but it managed to stay for quite a while after use. It's great for use on the face if you suffer from having oily skin, and it leaves me feeling refreshed for the whole day. Because it is so gentle I would say it is perfectly acceptable for daily use, and I certainly use it every day. It can also be used as a body soap and I would imagine it would be great for this too as it creates a very nice lather in the hand. Highly recommended.

Sony ICF-C1 FM/AM Clock Radio - Black
Sony ICF-C1 FM/AM Clock Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio alarm!, 31 Jan. 2015
Clock looks very classy, and works well. You have the option of using a buzzer or radio as the alarm, and it has a nice gradual volume option so it doesn't instantly shock you to life! The clock is very easy to use, and the buttons are nicely laid out. The alarm easy to set, and the radio has good reception and decent sound quality. It plugs into the wall, but also comes with a battery slot so you can use it if there isn't a socket nearby. This battery compartment also works so as to prevent the clock from resetting in the event of a power cut. Nice little touch is how the snooze button is very large, and the alarm-off button very small and indented, since this prevents you from accidentally pressing the off button and sleeping through your first few hours of work. To turn the alarm off in the morning you have to actively find the off button so it would be hard to accidentally sleep through your alarm.

I really can't fault this alarm clock, and I definitely think it's worth paying the extra little bit for a decent radio alarm. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 4:30 PM GMT

iPhone 5 Wallet Case - Card Case for iPhone 5 by Huskk - Premium Leather - WALLET WRAP - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but it's too tight!, 26 Jan. 2015
When I first received this case in the post I was very impressed by the packaging. Normally I wouldn't care what the box an item came in was like, but the classy little black box that arrived is lovely and gives a wonderful first impression and sets up the general vibe for the case inside really well. The design and feel of the case is very nice, and it has an expensive feel to it. It also looks premium, and the quality of the materials are definitely a lot higher than you get with other cheap phone cases. However, I do think this case a few flaws which I can't overlook.

1. First, the case is too tight. I have been using the case for about a week now, and I am still having a hard time getting the phone out of the case. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is very little "phone" sticking out of the case to grip to when you want to pull the phone out, and it grips the phone so tightly that it can take quite a while to get it out. I have managed to miss a couple of calls because of this since I couldn't get the phone out of the case in time.

2. Second, there isn't a space for the headphone jack and charging socket. If you want to use these then you have to put the phone into the case upside down, but then you can't use the lock button properly. This is further aggravated by the first flaw above which can make the case quite infuriating to use at times.

On the plus side, I really like the idea of having the extra pockets for keeping cards and paper money in. This is very useful, and the pockets work well. They are tight enough to keep hold of your cards without worrying that they will fall out, which I like, but unfortunately leads to the negative aspect for flaw number one. The case also feels like it protects the phone really well. It has enough softness on the top and bottom in case you accidentally stand on the phone (I have unfortunately done this in the past), and yet the case still feels slim and slides into your pocket nicely. The design and feel of the case is also very nice, which is a good thing, since I refuse to hide my premium phone in a cheap and nasty case. Honestly I think the only really bad point is how tight the case holds the phone, which may or may not be solved with time and wear, but at this point I really don't know. I will update the review in a few months time if I have anything new to say, but for now I think this case is more style over substance - though it pains me to say so, since this case looks so good that I really WANT to like it.

The Edinburgh Introduction to Studying English Literature
The Edinburgh Introduction to Studying English Literature
by Dermot Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful source for first year undergrad essays, 20 Sept. 2014
I purchased this to accompany me on my first year of an English degree at Edinburgh University, and it has proved very useful. It has been written, and edited, but lecturers and professors of the English department at the university, and as such has proved very helpful for their lectures as well. A lot of the stuff they have taught in class are given more depth when the articles are read from their written essays as well.

This book would also be useful for studenst from other universities too, since it provides an excellent and accessible starting point for credible essay sources. Essays regarding poetry, drama and narrative are all covered over multiple different topics within each literary genre, as well as more broad introductory essays over such as questions as 'What is literature?' as well as others. These are questions which all first year undergraduate literature students will study, so this book proves very useful for this demographic.

The table of contents is clear and concise, and the book itself is not overly large, with it being very easy to find the section you need. The font size is also nice, not too small or too large, and so it makes reading the articles less of a jaunt. I particularly like the section at the end of each essay which provides a list of further related works which you can look up. This is also very useful for essay writing, and shortens the search for sources considerably once you've found the topic you are studying.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap - but obviously so., 10 Sept. 2014
I suppose you get what you pay for, and this is very cheap for this kind of product. It was a bit of a pain to put together since none of the holes seemed to line up very well with the shelves, so I had to tug and pull quite hard to get it to line up. I even cut my hand in the process, so I wasn't overly happy about it. This also meant that the stand wobbled on a flat surface at first, and I had the use quite a bit of effort to bend it all into place. There also weren't enough bolts to screw it all together - exacerbated by the fact that all the bolts were just loose inside the box rather than placed into a small bag to keep them all together. This is a rather stupid decision on the behalf of the producers since the bolts can easily fall through the gaps in the base of the box - which is obviously what has happened with mine whilst in the post.

The drainer works well enough once it's put together, and the plates stand nicely on the top, but the cutlery holder is a bit rubbish. Teaspoons simply fall through the gaps making it hard to get them out again, which can be quite a nuisance. The glass holder on the back is also pretty useless since it just sits over the lip of the top shelf. If you only put one glass onto the holder it tilts and makes the glass fall - probably smashing in the process, so that's a bit useless unless you want to put two glasses on to balance it. Make sure to remember this when you take one of the glasses off to get a glass of water too, since the other will fall off if you don't take them both off at the same time. It's all a bit of a faff to be honest.

Overall this is a decent stand once it's put together and bent into shape, but you definitely get what you pay for. Ignore the glass holder and place them on the bottom shelf instead and it works well enough. Expect cheap, and you'll probably be pretty cheerful, but don't expect a perfectly rigid stand - you'll need to pay extra for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10