Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

A Merry Little Christmas
A Merry Little Christmas
by Julia Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!, 13 Dec. 2012
After enjoying "Last Christmas" and even re-reading it at this time of year, I was really looking forward to following these characters again, however "A Merry Little Christmas" was a real disappointment. In the sequel, I was expecting the characters to be developed further but believably (!) and a meaningful but feel good plot - however, by the time I got to the end (yes! I stuck it out through gritted teeth!) I felt that this is one of those "money for old rope" kind of sequels. There was so much repetition, especially with how Pippa feels about Dan, that it started to really get on my nerves & I found myself speedreading to try and find a bit I could engage with. I agree with the earlier review about the Lucy character & the description of Cystic Fybrosis and on the whole found the whole thing quite juvenile. It was difficult to sympathise with the characters - especially Cat's reaction to Mel's predicament (her behaviour not her thought processes) & although I was hopeful of the Gabriel, Marianne & Eve conflict - even that failed to either ignite or go anywhere. Unfortunately, I found that most of the characters that I had previously enjoyed, to be really quite wet, frustrating and having been in several of the situations in the plot - their behaviour less than believable! The character of Michael was completely pointless - especially as he didn't actually DO anything which had any direct impact on the plot and the book whilst appearing to be striving to be emotionally intelligent is actually anything but! I couldn't wait to get to the end - but for all the wrong reasons! If you want a warm, "It's a wonderful life" kind of read - stick to "Last Christmas!"