Profile for Kali > Reviews

Content by Kali

Kali "bengaligirl" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
California Gurls (Feat. Snoop Dogg)
California Gurls (Feat. Snoop Dogg)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet filled Trash that is stickily catching, 6 Mar. 2011
Love the video, love the song. Okay so it's one of those songs that portrays women as floozies with only one thing on their minds but whatever as they say! It's a catchy song, totally and utterly trashing and sickly sweet but I just love it. Katie Perry is a brilliant singer, it's just a shame she is married to a twit like Brand but hey what she makes up in daftness over men, she certainly makes up in good and fun music!

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars It was enjoyable but nothing to rave about, 6 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
I think the hype got in the way of this film. I really enjoyed it but I was expecting more. Much more. The acting all round was excellent, Colin FIRTH certainly came across well as the emotionally fragile King George and no one can dispute that Helena BONHAM CARTER is a classy actress who gave the Queen mum a lot more humanity than I think she actually had in real life! Certainly Geoffrey RUSH was excellent as Lionel LOGUE the speech man and don't forget all the big actors in the film who had small parts like Derek JACOBI as an Archbishop, he's certainly been promoted up the ecclesiastical rank since his days as the monk Cadfael! You had Michael GAMBON as King George V and the versatile little actress Ramona MARQUEZ as Princess Margaret, and of course Guy Pearce as the weak will Nazi loving Edward VII, so you are bound to have a finely crafted film in more ways than one.

I was impressed by the eye for detail for costumes and the time period, and Colin FIRTH certainly gave it his all, he certainly deserved his OSCAR but there was something missing that I still can't place my finger on. Maybe I expected too much like I said before.

I wish I had seen it on DVD rather than going to the cinema, in fact come to think of it, if had gone straight to DVD I wouldn't have been at all disappointed, I would have enjoyed just as much, probably more, because I wouldn't have spent so much money on snacks!!!!

Stuff White People Like
Stuff White People Like
by Christian Lander

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed until I passed out, 28 Nov. 2010
I got this book on a whim. The title intrigued me, "Stuff White People Like", what was that all about? Well I soon found out and though it is very American you can very much relate it to any white middle class life all OVER the world. From the very first page I found myself laughing out loud. I couldn't help myself. Not only that I REALLY tried to feel guilty but I just couldn't because when all was said and done all Mr Lander was doing was showing us what was in front of our eyes, we just haven't realised it. Until now.

Diversity made me fall out of my wheelchair chuckling with mirth, so VERY true. And as for the page titled "having Black friends" well my friend had to practically resusitate me. I smiled when I read about Dogs, guilty as charged, I love dogs, I get that I suspect from my English (and white) mother, my Indian father has grown to tolerate us having dogs in our house but he isn't a fan the way we are. The "How White Are You?" at the end of the book sounds offensive, but actually it isn't. It makes a point that I think a lot of people don't get. Having read some of the other reviews I can see that a lot of people are offended by this book.

Would they be offended by a book called Stuff Black People Like? Somehow I doubt it. It would probably be looked at as some sort of seminal book on ethnicity that needed to be read from cover to cover and discussed in coffee shops, whilst contemplating a change of religion and looking at diversity as the new "way forward" but only if it means a change of menu.

Mr Lander you have opened a can of worms. I trust you will open another can and write another book, possibly titled, "More Stuff White People Like."

Warm Bodies
Warm Bodies

5.0 out of 5 stars When Zombie met Julia - A love story with a difference, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Warm Bodies (Kindle Edition)
Zombies rule. Literally. The world has gone to pot and now the living dead are living out their lives as slowly rotting corpses in a land decimated by a plague that lets the dead rise up, that is if the dead aren't eaten beforehand by other hungry Zombies. Humans who have survived the plague now have to live fortressed lives, dodging Zombie feeding parties in a bid to live each day as best they can.

"R" is a Zombie, he's better looking than most other Zombies, he pretty much got all his parts intact though his skin colouring leaves a lot to be desired. He has little memory of who he was before he became a Zombie, he knows his name began with an R so he calls himself, "R" but what he does remember is that despite the hunger he has for human flesh and brains rules his life, he was once human with human emotions and feelings.

When he kills and eats a human called Perry he finds himself seeing parts of Perry's life through his own eyes and how this youth had loved a girl called Julia, a girl that is about to be killed and eaten by his fellow Zombies and for reasons "R" cannot yet fathom, he saves her life and hides her in the airport where most of the Zombies live in grotesque parodies of a human life, with families being created from the withered flesh of the risen dead.

This the most surprising love story you will ever read. It's a Zombie meets girl but does not eat girl but saves her instead, girl gets to know Zombie and starts to fall in love with him too but of course true love is never straight forward for Zombie and his one true love.

"R" has to fight to regain his lost humanity, along with taking on the Boney's, the self appointed leaders of the Zombie "family." With only his decaying friend "M" supporting him, "R" is forced to go on a road trip that will lead him to Julia's world, a place where the only good Zombie is a dead Zombie.

But "R" has one advantage that just might save him, he is in love and he can now pass as a living being for he is slowly changing, not just internally but externally too. But will he get the girl of his dreams? Will he escape the wrath of the Boney's and Julia's soldier father, all of whom want him dead, this time for good.

Glamour (Rae Wilder Book 1)
Glamour (Rae Wilder Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Where all things fey & human are not always quite what they seem, 31 Oct. 2010
Decided to buy this as I like Fantasy and was a snip at just under a quid. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I really enjoyed it. I really liked the mixture of humans, fey and Vampires in a world decimated by a strange plague and in which all things fey are seen to be demonic by the remainder of the human population, and therefore must be destroyed.

Enter Rae, a girl who thinks she is 18 and human but finds out otherwise and meet her friends and enemies, some want to kill her, some want to love her and some want to bind her.

A good Kindle Book and I will be buying the sequel when it comes out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2010 7:19 PM GMT

I Started Out With Nothin And I Still Got Most Of It Left [Jewel Case]
I Started Out With Nothin And I Still Got Most Of It Left [Jewel Case]

5.0 out of 5 stars Aint nothing sea sick about this amazing music, 7 Oct. 2010
I saw Seasick Steve for the first time when I was channel hopping. His sultry molasses voice made me stay on that channel and listen to his songs which were nothing like I had ever heard before. Not long after there was a documentry on TV about Steve and his unconventional life as a travelling man who has lived a colourful life. His music reflects this, and all of the songs on this CD are great "listening and eating" music.

I've got an odd taste in music from Classical to Hard Rock, you've seen nothing until you've seen a girl in a Laura Ashley dress attend a Scorpions concert in London, but that is another story.

Seasick Steve sings the blues like no other, he might not be Black, he might not have lived a life filled with tragedy (though he has had his fair share of sorrows and adventures) he sure knows to sing, his duet in "Happy Man" is one of my favourites on the whole CD.

Here's to Seasick Steve, long may he sing, dance and play his guitar.

Bedlam (Oberon Modern Plays)
Bedlam (Oberon Modern Plays)
by Nell Leyshon

5.0 out of 5 stars Madness old England Style, 18 Sept. 2010
In 17th century Bedlam, the comforts of madness do not let you escape the harsh reality of the world you have left behind. It's a place where whores, madmen, drunkards and the destitute are thrown together with the rich, the famous and the downright ludicrous. Bedlam is run by the "Mad Doctor" Carew a man whose own sanity leaves a lot to be desired. A man with a pious wife, an idiot son who will one day take up his father's trade and a new enlightened governor who thinks the mad would be treated with dignity and compassion. As Carew lurches toward his downfall Bedlam gets a new inmate. The beautiful May whose lover Billy has left her to go to sea and caused the young country girl t lose her mind. Along with Stella the fallen wife, Gardenia the rich lady of leisure and her friend a ridiculous self centred poet we have a play of such mastery that it will take your breath away.

Stuffed full of memorial characters like Tom of Bedlam and Phyllis the Gin seller, this is a play about humanity at its worst and at its best. Compassion and brutality walk hand in hand and no one is exempt from Bedlam's madness, not even those who live outside its walls.

With wonderful dialogue and the blackest, rudest humour you can shake a stick at, Bedlam is a delight to read and even bigger delight to see on stage.

A cracking good read that should take its place alongside Shakespeare and Marlowe; after all if you are going to go mad, you might as well go mad in a mad house...

I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While
I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While
by Taichi Yamada

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and loss Japanese style, 17 Aug. 2010
After an accident middle aged Taura meets Mutsuko whilst in hospital. Forced to share a room they find they have a lot in common but their first meeting is both brief and bitter-sweet. Mutsuko takes it upon herself to find Taura it transpires that she ageing backwards and what time they have together is fraught with danger, tragedy and heartbreak. Both are damaged souls, both are adrift from themselves and their self sufficient families, both need and love each other but this is a love story with a difference. Like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" this book is about the fragility of human relationships and how people strive to hold on to what they have against all the odds. The ending is heart-breaking as Mutsuko leaves Taura, she now aged four years old, a child in body but with a woman's mind and the last we see of her is her tiny body disappearing among a sea of legs as she leaves for destinations unknown. A superb follow up to the book strangers.

Perfect Creature [DVD]
Perfect Creature [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dougray Scott
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent film about Vampires, 21 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Perfect Creature [DVD] (DVD)
A surprisingly intelligent film about a world in which human and vampires co-exist in seemingly relative harmony. The Brotherhood benignly watches over the human race and on the surface appears to have their best interest at heart but in reality they are protecting their food source, human blood given willingly to them by the humans.

This is not a star studded cast, in fact most of the actors in it I have never heard of but all of them were good in the characters they were portraying and all were very believable.

Set in a time that is a mixture of the 1920s and the Edwardian era, the world has evolved at a slow languid pace in which cars are run by steam and Zeppelins fly over head. Vampires are born to human mothers but only male Vampires, there are no female Vampires and because of this the Brotherhood is small but also powerful. This is a society that is in theory separate but equal and for 300 years there has been peace between the two races.

Enter Brother Silus a Vampire and Lilly a human cop with a tragic past. Together they must stop Silus's Vampire brother Edgar from infecting the human population with his tainted blood. Add to this melee a flu epidemic that threatens to wipe out the human population if left unchecked and a Brotherhood who will do anything to survive and you have a film that moves at a steady pace and packs a good punch in the way of acting, special effects and suspense.
Not all humans are enamoured by the Brotherhood who are revered by many humans as near Gods because of their own near immortality.

Lilly's police partner Detective Jones has no love for Vampires but it is to him that Silus must turn when Lilly is captured by Edgar and used as bait to force Silus's hand.

There is a neat little twist at the end of the movie that leaves it open for a sequel. All in all a really good movie, I actually enjoyed it more than Twilight and New Moon which were enjoyable but total teenage led hokum.

My Name Is Baljit But You Can Call Me Gary: The Alternative Guide to Indian Culture
by Amit Rajp

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like reliving my youth!, 17 Oct. 2009
If you are a British Asian or an Asian who has lived in the UK for a number of years then you HAVE got to read this book. I came across a review of it in the magazine Society Today and was intrigued enough to purchase a copy.

It's only 65 pages long but it is absolutely hilarious. Set in 15 short chapters, you are treated to titles such as "Why Tupperware Are Like Drugs, "Indian Timing" and my all time favourite, "Merry Christmas", I laughed so much I almost gave myself a hernia, for I too had a father who didn't believe in "toot toot games."

With laugh out moments that will surely get you thrown off a train for rolling in the aisles, this is a super-dooper book that surely deserves to be in the best seller list for its astute observations about being British and Asian along with its quirky wit that will have most Asian readers in the know, snorting hysterically as they turn each of the 65 pages.

Amit Rajp asks philosophical questions like "Why do Asian anglicise their names?" and "Is bulk buying a genetic predisposition for Asians?" and "Why are Asians never on time?" (I loved the answer to this question) and his critique of Bollywood is droll but surprisingly heart warming. And I might add you will never look at a shell suit in the same way again, or for that matter, marriage, education, family, friends and of course the dreaded plastic Tupperware.

Amit certainly has an eye for sublime and the ridiculous and this book is far TOO short. Roll on a sequal!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18