Profile for W. MacPhedran > Reviews

Content by W. MacPhedran

W. MacPhedran "W. Mac" (Scotland)

West Highland Way (Pocket Mountains)
West Highland Way (Pocket Mountains)
by Dan Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for first timers or veterans of the WHW, 22 Sept. 2009
I've already walked the WHW once, but intend to go again in 2 years and this next time I'll take Dan's book along with me. Now that the initial "thrill is gone", I want to actually enjoy the journey rather than just getting to Fort William quickly. I particularly welcome Dan's suggestions for side excursions, rather than just sticking to the main path(s), and this time I'll learn more about the local history from his book which will make it more meaningful. I particularly like Dan's sense of humour, with one of the best parts of the book being the hidden skinny dipping spots! Having froliced in the buff in Loch Lomond the first time around, this next time I'll have a great fun hunting out new swimming opportunities! If Dan keeps writing books about the Scottish countryside and wilderness, I'll never get anything done at home!

Kingdom of Fife. 40 Coast and Country Walks (Pocket Mountains)
Kingdom of Fife. 40 Coast and Country Walks (Pocket Mountains)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the info you want, the way you want it., 22 Sept. 2009
I love this book. It just invites you to get out of the house on those sunny, and not so sunny, Scottish days in Fife. I can see I'm going to get less gardening done now that this book has made it into our lives. The only problem is when I'm done with all Dan's suggested routes I'll need him to write another book! Keep up the good work Dan!

Scotland's Mountain Ridges: Scrambling, Mountaineering and Climbing - the Best Routes for Summer and Winter (Cicerone Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars A climbing guide for real people, 24 May 2007
I really like the way Dan presents some of Scotland's most spectacular ridges. He provides invaluable information and shares his experience in a way that is inviting, not intimidating. He breaks down each section into approach, climb, continuation, and descent - really useful stuff. As a climber who started climbing Munros at age 50, I find some guides geared towards the super-fit or professional climbers. Dan's book is full of sound advice and the pictures are of ordinary people - not the professionals. I simply love Scotland's high and wild places, and Dan's book is the one I'll keep in my rucksack. Even if you don't climb at all, you'll enjoy the pictures and his vivid descriptions.

The Red Tent
The Red Tent
by Anita Diamant

4.0 out of 5 stars All women need this book...., 15 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
If you want to touch into what it means to be a woman today or two centuries ago, read the Red Tent. Women will remember what it is to be female and men will perhaps finally understand the nature of womanhood. There's no armchair psychology here. You don't stand apart from women and study them - you BECOME woman. A must read for all teenage women. This is written in the same spirit as Mists of Avalon in that it empowers woman of all ages, but is particularly important for young women. I intend to give this book to all my coming-of-age female friends and relatives.